What is your memory of the 1994 U.S. Nationals? | Golden Skate

What is your memory of the 1994 U.S. Nationals?

Triple loop

Rinkside
Today marks the 25th anniversary of the Harding/Kerrigan incident. Time flies.
Besides that, I will remember the Nationals for professionals returning to competition. In particular, I enjoyed watching Elaine Zayak return after a 10 year absence. She still had those triples and received 2 standing ovations. Elaine finished in fourth place and combined artistry with her athleticism. What courage and I will never forget this moment.šŸ˜€

Kelly Lynn

Rinkside
I remember sitting by the press for the beginning of the menā€™s program when the news broke. I was also staying in the hotel that housed the press. I watched their excitement and watched firsthand the story being inflated. I also remember that Boitano was not sent to the Games as the National Champion and the general attitude that professionalsshould not be allowed to return. God forbid they earn any money! I also remember how bitter cold it was,a snow storm, and the heat failing in the hotel. Beware those of you attending this year. Boots and warm clothes.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I remember rolling blading around my living room and turning on the evening news and seeing Nancy Kerrigan on the ground wailing. I was in so much disbelief I started shrieking ā€œMom somebody hit Nancyā€
I was 9 years old at the time and I remember Elaineā€™s standing ovation. And my mom telling me her story ā€œsheā€™s why they have to do so many triplesā€
I remember Michelle in her pink dress. The glimmer of hope.
I remember poor Nancy having to watch wearing her glasses in her boxed seat.
I also remember Tonya hacking and coughing.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Not my favorite Nationals by any means. Hated that Boitano didn't skate well.

For me it was all about Elaine and Michelle. I never enjoyed Tonya or Nancy as much as I did Kristi. My love for Michelle began to bud in 1993 and by 1994 I was a full on fan. Having Elaine back with such a refreshing attitude was also awesome. She was so sweet and complimentary to Michelle. :love:

gkelly

Record Breaker
1994 Nationals was the first elite event that I attended live. So a lot of things made a strong impression on me, not only about specific skaters and events but also about what high-level skating looks like up close, including differences between good vs. great skating skills/athleticism.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember rolling blading around my living room and turning on the evening news and seeing Nancy Kerrigan on the ground wailing. I was in so much disbelief I started shrieking ā€œMom somebody hit Nancyā€
I was 9 years old at the time and I remember Elaineā€™s standing ovation. And my mom telling me her story ā€œsheā€™s why they have to do so many triplesā€
I remember Michelle in her pink dress. The glimmer of hope.
I remember poor Nancy having to watch wearing her glasses in her boxed seat.
I also remember Tonya hacking and coughing.

Your whole post is a textbook example of how vivid and diverse a child's memories often are; and also how eclectic ... like there is no rhyme or reason for the way the memories pop up.

Really lovely! You almost made me experience it! :rock: Like I was jerked from one extreme emotion to another.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was thrilled for Elaine Zayak, and her reasons for competing @ US Nationals. Michelle was delightful!

These were the Nationals in which Scott Davis defeated Brian Boitano. That was a shocker!

I didn't know this @ the time, but I subsequently read that Todd Eldredge had the flu & a very high fever. He finished 4th in the men's competition, so he didn't make the US Olympic/Worlds team. Thankfully, things turned around for him @ a Pro/Am event that spring, and the rest is history!

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember 94 Nationals well as it was in my home state. I remember a stellar men's event featuring the upset win of Scott Davis over Brian B. There were also exciting skates by Aren Nielsen, Shepherd Clark and Rudy Galindo. Mark Mitchell and Michael Weiss also skated well. I was rooting for a rink mate Dan Hollander. There was also drama in the dance event when hometown dancers Liz & Jerrod were to compete with Roca & Sur. Renee broke her arm on a practice and were unable to finish. I remember being torn since I had practiced with Liz & Jerrod and had taken some dance tests with Gorsha Sur (fun and super nice and helpful to an adult skater).

I was happy and impressed by Elaine Zayak, Nicole Bobek and the charming Michelle Kwan. Tonya's jumps and spins were impressive, but the costumes were horrid. For me the sequined showgirl costume for the Shakespearean music to Much Ado About Nothing was a mismatch and the music seemed especially odd considering the famous incident.

I remember Meno & Sand winning over Ina & Dungjen. Most fans in the arena felt Kuchiki & Marval should have been third.

I was in the other arena watching younger dancers and only heard about the whack on Nancy. I had been looking forward to seeing her compete.

I did miss one of the events having dislocated a shoulder during the week. The next year I was in sympathy with Todd Eldredge at 1995 Skate America when he hit the boards, dislocated his shoulder and skated marvelously anyway! I can be seen about 2 rows in when he fell right in front of me.

All in all, it was an interesting event.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did miss one of the events having dislocated a shoulder during the week. The next year I was in sympathy with Todd Eldredge at 1995 Skate America when he hit the boards, dislocated his shoulder and skated marvelously anyway! I can be seen about 2 rows in when he fell right in front of me.

Actually, Todd dislocated his shoulder @ 1997 Skate America. I don't recall that happening to him @ 1995 Skate America., unless I'm missing something! His 1994-1995 season was stellar in terms of competitive results! :biggrin:

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, Todd dislocated his shoulder @ 1997 Skate America. I don't recall that happening to him @ 1995 Skate America., unless I'm missing something! His 1994-1995 season was stellar in terms of competitive results! :biggrin:

You are correct it was 1997. I misremembered. Thanks for the correction. I just know I was there in person so many years ago. Todd got a standing ovation after an amazing skate.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I mostly remembering wondering if Michelle Kwan would actually get to go to the Olympics as a little one... and really really hoping that Tonya was not involved.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Some of the previous posts have "jogged" my memory regarding Brian Boitano losing to Scott Davis.
I guess that was kind of a harbinger of things to come for the professionals who were reinstated to skate at the Olympics.

The 3 things that I remember the most, of course, revolved around Tonya Harding.

1) The attack on Nancy Kerrigan and the constant replaying of that video.

2) My introduction to 13 year old Michelle Kwan - who I believe was an alternate to the Olympics after she won the silver medal.

And it was a very distinct possibility given Nancy's injury and/or whether Tonya would be disqualified given the allegations against her.

3) Tonya Harding looking so pleased and proud after she "won".

Yeah - great job Tonya.
Your husband had his goons eliminate your biggest challenger.
You beat a 13 year old skater in her senior debut.
You beat a notoriously unpredictable skater.
You beat a skater that hadn't competed in almost 10 years.
At least, that's how I remember it. :scowl:

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yeah - great job Tonya.
Your husband had his goons eliminate your biggest challenger.
You beat a 13 year old skater in her senior debut.
You beat a notoriously unpredictable skater.
You beat a skater that hadn't competed in almost 10 years.
At least, that's how I remember it. :scowl:

Except it wasn't Michelle's senior debut. Her senior debut was the year before (1993) because I was there to see Nancy Kerrigan and I left having been more impressed with 12-year-old Michelle Kwan!

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Except it wasn't Michelle's senior debut. Her senior debut was the year before (1993) because I was there to see Nancy Kerrigan and I left having been more impressed with 12-year-old Michelle Kwan!

Wow - I didn't know that.
Great that you got to see her debut in person.
The start to a phenomenal career.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I just remember the ladies event though cannot recall so much of 33 years. I think the whole whack was riveting. Really the rest I donā€™t recall as I likely wasnā€™t too involved. Kwan was cute but no big deal. Tonya was tacky. Zayak was still a jumper but no style. Didnā€™t watch men or pairs. I had so much always to cope with. I think the constant press in this state - Nancy is from MA was overwhelming. It was constant updates on the attack and the press pack watching Nancy come and go. What Ido recall more is Norway and her skating being the best of her life. People should love Nancy instead they crucify her for two stupid remarks. From the white dress and the screams and Daddy carrying her away and the whole mess. Then she skates in the best dress ever and really puts her heart in it. That folks is one tough superskater. And she has proven how classy she is. Tonya Harding should have done jail time. Nuff said.

katymay

Medalist
Today marks the 25th anniversary of the Harding/Kerrigan incident. Time flies.
Besides that, I will remember the Nationals for professionals returning to competition. In particular, I enjoyed watching Elaine Zayak return after a 10 year absence. She still had those triples and received 2 standing ovations. Elaine finished in fourth place and combined artistry with her athleticism. What courage and I will never forget this moment.��

I won't either, because I was in labor with my youngest daughter. Happy 25 to my daughter! At the time, I thought, perhaps she is destined to become a figure skater, and, what a tale I will tell her about the night she was born. (Specifically, she was born two hours after Tonya won Nationals). No, she ended up being a large girl with no inclination toward figure skating whatsoever, but she always had a personality a bit like Tonya in her younger years. Perhaps this served her well in her sport of choice: swimming.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I won't either, because I was in labor with my youngest daughter. Happy 25 to my daughter! At the time, I thought, perhaps she is destined to become a figure skater, and, what a tale I will tell her about the night she was born. (Specifically, she was born two hours after Tonya won Nationals). No, she ended up being a large girl with no inclination toward figure skating whatsoever, but she always had a personality a bit like Tonya in her younger years. Perhaps this served her well in her sport of choice: swimming.

I just want to give you props for this very well written post. In one paragraph you told a whole story with twists and humor and I was riveted until the last word. :clap::laugh2:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Based strictly on my thoughts at the time, when I was quite a bit younger and more naive, my thoughts were: "I wish Nancy would not have been hurt" (both because I was sorry for her because she was hurt but also because I believed Tonya would have beaten her if she had competed.) At the time I had just graduated from college and was working a temp job trying to find a "real" job and I made $5 an hour and travelling to a Nationals, hotels, tickets etc were far out of my reach. I feel so lucky to be able to go now. So I saw what skating there was on ABC and ESPN and I guess NBC had Olympic coverage by then, maybe it was still ABC? So I did not get to watch a lot of figure skating. It was also long before you could catch performances on Youtube. We live in wonderful times.