СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Last edited by a moderator:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Found it completely interesting that Tramadol (a very powerful opioid) remains on the watchlist but in spite of upticks of usage among athletes is not banned in competition. It’s been abused to the point that Cycling went ahead and banned it (effective in March) in spite of WADA allowing for its use in competition. It’s been on the watchlist since 2012.

Though WADA added the drug to its Monitored List, which tracks substances for potential abuse, in 2012, it has not banned tramadol in competition.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw39aJ6AZBzJZ39qXd9y8KGj&ust=1546959646324895

Nimyue

On the Ice
I was surprised to find Beta Blockers on the list. They can be used for migraine prevention. Luckily I take a different migraine preventative, but that's super inconvenient if you actually need these medications.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I was surprised to find Beta Blockers on the list. They can be used for migraine prevention. Luckily I take a different migraine preventative, but that's super inconvenient if you actually need these medications.
If you have proven official attestation of certain conditions you can still get a medical exemption to use certain prescriptions from the banned list that are not actually performance enhancing, right?
It will involve lots of paperwork and extra tests probably, and when you take certain medicine with you you'll need to fill out forms anyway to prevent being them seized at border control inspections??

----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

It's complicated but if an athlete truly, absolutely needs medications on the list, they can get clearance to take them. That's why Therapeutic Use Exemptions exist. Lots of medications for common afflictions like allergies or asthma are on the list but if you need them to maintain your basic health then for the most part (and with a lot of paperwork), you can get them. It's a shame unscrupulous people try to take advantage of the TUE loophole but it exists for the athletes who really need it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I used to take Tramadol at least twice a week. Spousal unit still does. I'm actually not surprised it's permitted, since I didn't find it all that powerful.

Guess I can be a competitive athlete after all;)

is there a list in English somewhere?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I used to take Tramadol at least twice a week. Spousal unit still does. I'm actually not surprised it's permitted, since I didn't find it all that powerful.

In the OP

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The reason cycling banned it seems to be because not only is it known to be highly addictive but has a euphoric high. They concluded that the cyclists biking at high speeds under the influence of opioids was considered uneccasarily dangerous. People do build up a tolerance to opioids though and dosages can vary. I think the Cycling Federation just concluded that 4% of their riders (several were major event winners like Tour de France) using this substance was a tipping point.

I haven’t seen WADA respond with a statement regarding Cycling banning this drug nor do I know if they plan to release a statement. It is odd to see a sports organization go beyond the WADA code though as far as I know.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason cycling banned it seems to be because not only is it known to be highly addictive but has a euphoric high. They concluded that the cyclists biking at high speeds under the influence of opioids was considered uneccasarily dangerous. People do build up a tolerance to opioids though and dosages can vary. I think the Cycling Federation just concluded that 4% of their riders (several were major event winners like Tour de France) using this substance was a tipping point.

I haven’t seen WADA respond with a statement regarding Cycling banning this drug nor do I know if they plan to release a statement. It is odd to see a sports organization go beyond the WADA code though as far as I know.

Drugs are such a funny thing, so dependent (so to speak) on the person using them. I was on tramadol for many months, and when the pain stopped, I stopped. Pas de problème. And I only wish I had felt euphoric :biggrin: But I have no doubt that others could be addicted, the body’s workings are so mysterious.

It is interesting that a sport would choose to be even stricter than WADA. Maybe due to cycling’s history? Very interesting!

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
My husband and a good friend both had an extreme response to Tramadol.

Weirdly enough, so did my son's dog! The dog had a tick bourne disease, anaplasmosis, and had arthritic pain from it. She was given tramadol for the pain, and it brought on seizures. (Anaplasmosis predisposes dogs to seizures.)

https://www.petmd.com/dog/parasites/anaplasmosis-dogs

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

My dad had to get clearance to use these when we were rallying. Well, that was also because he needed clearance to race. Drivers out of whack with migraines is not a good ending for anybody.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

It’s interesting but only if no one challenges them.

The UKAD used to have rules that went further than WADA, anyone caught doping was banned for life from representing the UK at the Olympics. However an ex cheat Dwayne Chambers challenged this and it led to the British Olympic Association losing on the grounds that it wasn’t compliant with the WADA rule of a two year ban for a first offence.

VegMom

On the Ice
What is the process to get a "Therapeutic Use Exemption" (or whatever exemption necessary for medical use) and what levels is it needed for?

I'm assuming in the USA it's needed for Juv and up? Or is this only for international competitions?

UPDATE: I searched and am answering my own questions.
Found a FAQ about TUEs: https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/2016-11-17-qa_tues_en_0.pdf

In the FAQ it says this paragraph that I absolutely LOVE:
8. ARE TUES NECESSARY? SHOULD PEOPLE NEEDING PROHIBITED SUBSTANCES OR METHODS BE PRECLUDED FROM SPORT?
Yes, TUEs have been overwhelming deemed necessary by athletes, physicians and all antidoping stakeholders.
The notion of precluding athletes that suffer from illnesses and conditions such as diabetes, asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, rheumatological conditions, etc. from sport cannot be given serious consideration. It would undermine a fundamental value of sport that is the right of access and participation to sport and play, which has long been recognized by numerous international conventions

For the US: https://www.usada.org/substances/tue/

And looks like yes, it's Juv and up but only if planning on competing at National level. The USFSA says "When skaters start competing at the regional championships, they should start reviewing and recording their prescription and non-prescription medication and dietary supplement use/intake each season and PRIOR to each competition. This includes, but is not limited to, asthma inhalers, birth control pills, attention deficit disorder medications and even over-the-counter cold medicines, vitamins, menstrual relief and weight-loss products."

https://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84038&menu=sportscienceandmedicine

also, this "wallet card" lists common allowed medications at the bottom:
https://www.usada.org/wp-content/uploads/wallet-card.pdf