Marissa Castelli has moved on from competitive skating | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli has moved on from competitive skating

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Best of luck to Marissa in her future plans:clap:

(And I am so glad to hear that USFS has set up a program like “Pivot” so that skaters aren’t alone in figuring out their next steps:agree:)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting this - great article and I’m so glad she’s happy. And yeah, not sure if the Pivot program is new, but I’m glad to hear about it.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm glad she and Ashley have each other in New England!

I love Marissa. It's a shame she and Mervin were never able to make it work from a technical standpoint - they had so much promise. But I'm glad she's happy and fulfilled!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… (And I am so glad to hear that USFS has set up a program like “Pivot” so that skaters aren’t alone in figuring out their next steps:agree:)

To give credit where it is due: the Pivot program is an initiative of USOC -- as opposed to USFS.

IIRC from the Team USA website, the program is not super-new, although relatively new. I had wondered whether any figure skaters have taken part. Nice to hear that it was of great benefit to Castelli.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No! I'm so sad! :sad4: I've been holding out hope that I would hear some news about how she had found a new partner. :pray: She is such a firecracker and so talented...The word I've heard many people say to describe retirement is "repositioning". I think I like that even better than "moving on". She will be a great resource as a coach. Best of luck to her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
To give credit where it is due: the Pivot program is an initiative of USOC -- as opposed to USFS.

IIRC from the Team USA website, the program is not super-new, although relatively new. I had wondered whether any figure skaters have taken part. Nice to hear that it was of great benefit to Castelli.

I think this program might be awesome for skaters like Mirai, Ashley and even Gracie. Let these skaters know there is a lot of opportunities in life regardless of skating.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All the best to Marissa! Very happy for her engagement, too! :luv17: :hap10:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! That PIVOT program sounds wonderful, I'm so happy that, as Marissa described it, she found it liberating. At the same time, I can understand why any athlete who's uncertain whether they want to compete again, might be hesitant to go. In fact, Marissa didn't tell anyone she was going, she just hopped on a plane. And she mentioned how her figure skating career didn't end on a note that she'd have hoped for. I think that would make it even harder.

What a great interview and article! Nick McCarvel is so thorough and positive with his interviews and write=ups. I only have one small quibble with a bit of revisionist history. Simon had wanted to try for another Olympics, and skated for a few months with Dee Dee Leng after Marissa ended their partnership, but they both had injuries. Then Simon moved on to coaching.

All the best to Marissa! Very happy for her engagement, too! :luv17: :hap10:

:agree:

I also loved hearing about how Marissa (like Ashley, btw) is really happy finding other joys in life, and embracing balance. :hap93: :dance3:

Not an easy thing, when one's life has been a 24/7 deal for so long.