2019 Four Continents: Ice Dance Pregame Chat | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents: Ice Dance Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirti

Medalist
In 2019 we'll see less entries than in 2018, especially because of many retirements. Individual skaters can still reach the minimum TES at Torun Cup and EDU Sport Trophy, we are still waiting for the entries at EDU. Ice dancers can only qualify at Torun Cup and for pairs, it's already over.

Ice dance : 12 teams

AUS2Matilda FRIEND /William BADAOUI and Chantelle KERRY / Andrew DODDS
CAN3Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN, Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER and Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
CHN2Hong CHEN / Zhuoming SUN, Wanqi NING / Chao WANG and Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU
JPN1Misato KOMATSUBARA / Timothy KOLETO
USA3Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES, Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER and Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE

Last edited by a moderator:

Nirti

Medalist
One more entry after Torun Cup : Wanqi NING and Chao WANG (China)
Australian pair Nette/Westwood was far to qualify.

pandatours

On the Ice
I’m debating buying tickets for this, does anyone know if the seats behind the K&C are decent? I’ve heard Honda Center has decent seating in general

readernick

Medalist
This will be an amazing event. I love all of these teams. The three Canadian teams and the three US teams. I think Hubbell and Donahue are the best skaters. Amazing speed and power. However, Chock and Bates and Piper/Paul have better programs. Really looking forward to all disciplines at 4CC.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
It's going to be interesting how Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier, Hubbell/Donohue, and Chock/Bates stack up with each other. Only two of them competed on the Grand Prix while the other 2 competed in just one international competition so far this season, though they both showed strong performances at Nationals.

Weaver/Poje are my favourite ice dancers currently competing, so I'm a bit biased and hope they can win here. I have seen their programs live and love both of them. Imo, their RD and tango romantica execution is on another level compared to everyone else competing here. Their FD is ethereal. It touched me when I first saw it. If they skate with more abandon than their Nationals performance, I think they can do the same here. I also enjoy both Chock/Bates' FD for their musicality and Gilles/Poirier's FD program construction and their presentation of the story. Though I appreciate the changes of holds in Hubbell/Donohue's RD and speed that they show in both programs, I find both their dances uninspired and their expressions and many of their movements look forced, crisp but some of the lines are lacking. I know they have been trying throughout the season to rework their programs but I still appreciate the material of the other three teams a lot more.

I'm also a fan of Wang/Liu and although I don't see them finishing higher than 7th, I hope the judges can give them more recognition, as their scores have stagnated. They have also largely reworked their free (imo, it's a step up from the original) and have made some great strides since moving to Montreal.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I'm hoping that Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen will be able to set all new personal bests! :)

I just realised that Wang/Liu and Komatsubara/Koleto also train in Montreal, which means that half of the ice dance teams are training in the same place.
It will be interesting to see who takes the title.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Levels will decide so much here. Hoping for a really strict tech panel.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Really interested to see the scoring here. With Papadakis & Cizeron gaining a new WR Short and total score can Weaver & Poje or Hubble & Donahue keep up?

Where will Piper & Paul or Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen end up? Very interesting.

moses

Rinkside
This will be interesting, to say the least.
I really wonder how H/D and W/P will hold up against each other. W/P's RD is probably my favorite of the season, and their FD is stunning. I think H/D winning this will further solidify their place internationally but H/D's dance is...questionable. They've tried to re-work it but for me, and I think for a lot of people, it's just not working. It's seem to be able to hold up so far (barely), and I think if W/P skate a clean program, they will give them a run for their money. H/D have won all their competitions internationally, the GPF, and the US Champs. Though we really only saw Kaitlin and Andrew in two competitions this season, they look more confident and I haven't been holding my breath every time they go in for the twizzles.
I wonder, though if Piper and Paul will also give these two teams (or at least W/P, I'm not sure about H/D) a run for their money. I do think, unfortunately, they may be in the run for bronze, probably against C/B. I would do anything to see C/B win first place (I'm biased because I absolutely adore this team) but I am very doubtful that's going to happen. I do not think the judges will let it.
All in all, this will be a great competition. So many great teams and the first time we will see so many come head to head!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm hoping that Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen will be able to set all new personal bests! :)

I just realised that Wang/Liu and Komatsubara/Koleto also train in Montreal, which means that half of the ice dance teams are training in the same place.
It will be interesting to see who takes the title.

Chen/Sun are in Montreal too, so 7/12.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
This will be interesting, to say the least.
I really wonder how H/D and W/P will hold up against each other. W/P's RD is probably my favorite of the season, and their FD is stunning. I think H/D winning this will further solidify their place internationally but H/D's dance is...questionable. They've tried to re-work it but for me, and I think for a lot of people, it's just not working. It's seem to be able to hold up so far (barely), and I think if W/P skate a clean program, they will give them a run for their money. H/D have won all their competitions internationally, the GPF, and the US Champs. Though we really only saw Kaitlin and Andrew in two competitions this season, they look more confident and I haven't been holding my breath every time they go in for the twizzles.
I wonder, though if Piper and Paul will also give these two teams (or at least W/P, I'm not sure about H/D) a run for their money. I do think, unfortunately, they may be in the run for bronze, probably against C/B. I would do anything to see C/B win first place (I'm biased because I absolutely adore this team) but I am very doubtful that's going to happen. I do not think the judges will let it.
All in all, this will be a great competition. So many great teams and the first time we will see so many come head to head!

If Piper and Paul nail the RD there is no reason they couldn't fight for silver or even gold with their free dance. It is better than either H/D's or W/P's this year. Unfortunately they are likely to lose many RD levels when under pressure and then come back super strong in the free when it is too late to be in contention.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Hoping for G/P to hit their RD levels - that's been their nemesis all season. Their FD is my favourite this year and has scored well, so they're definitely in the mix if they can get those RD levels.

Interested to see how W/P, C/B, and FB/S get scored here.
W/P scored well at ACI, but that was a while ago and they've been working on improving their programs (as every skater does), so it'll be interesting to see how that reflects in the scores.
C/B had their one B event, but now that they've had more time to recover and train, we'll see how they do here.
FB/S have scored well nationally, but that's nationals, so this will be a good chance to see how they compare with the other teams.

H/D have consistently scored very highly this season, and I expect them to do so again. But we don't really know how other teams will score relative to them. Hopefully W/P, C/B, G/P can give them a run for their money because it's not as fun when there's no fight for the top. I think they can, but I'm not a judge so they might disagree

It'll be nice to see the lower ranked teams competing here as well. there's always something to like about them even though they're not at the same level technically and/or artistically as the top teams.

rain

Record Breaker
Hoping for G/P to hit their RD levels - that's been their nemesis all season. Their FD is my favourite this year and has scored well, so they're definitely in the mix if they can get those RD levels.

Interested to see how W/P, C/B, and FB/S get scored here.
W/P scored well at ACI, but that was a while ago and they've been working on improving their programs (as every skater does), so it'll be interesting to see how that reflects in the scores.
C/B had their one B event, but now that they've had more time to recover and train, we'll see how they do here.
FB/S have scored well nationally, but that's nationals, so this will be a good chance to see how they compare with the other teams.

H/D have consistently scored very highly this season, and I expect them to do so again. But we don't really know how other teams will score relative to them. Hopefully W/P, C/B, G/P can give them a run for their money because it's not as fun when there's no fight for the top. I think they can, but I'm not a judge so they might disagree

It'll be nice to see the lower ranked teams competing here as well. there's always something to like about them even though they're not at the same level technically and/or artistically as the top teams.

Where I think they should place and where I think they will place are different in this case.

I think the title should be a fight between W/P and G/P. Sacrilege, I know. But I think W/P have the best RD and G/P the best free of the season, worldwide. I really don't like H/D's free dance this season. It just doesn't work for me, which is really disappointing, because I LOVED their FD last season. I hate the voiceovers with a passion. On the other hand, I like C/B's free dance, but you could see some lack of miles on it at U.S. nationals, though it was good. I would then have FB/S over Hawayak/Baker, but I have no idea how the FB/S are going to stack up at an international competition right now.

What I think WILL happen is that the gold will be a fight between W/P and H/D, with C/B and G/P (unfairly) relegated to a fight for 3rd and 4th place. Piper and Paul really, really need to hit their levels in the RD.

Ice dance at worlds is going to be a bloodbath this year, what with the (IMO) lesser material from some of the top teams, and the reappearance of blatant politicking this season.

moses

Rinkside
If Piper and Paul nail the RD there is no reason they couldn't fight for silver or even gold with their free dance. It is better than either H/D's or W/P's this year. Unfortunately they are likely to lose many RD levels when under pressure and then come back super strong in the free when it is too late to be in contention.

You're right. I really think G/P have the best free of the season. H/D's really doesn't do it for me, it honestly seems like a step back for them to me. I prefer G/P's to W/P's as well, and they already beat them once in the free. I love C/B, and their FD is so energetic and so fun, but I'm not sure their free dance quite holds a candle to G/P. I wouldn't be surprised if G/P won the FD, or at least came pretty close to it.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I don't know if I'm quite ready for Four Continents drama yet, but that being said - I think this is Hubbell/Donohue's to lose. I prefer the other teams' programs but I thought at both the GPF and Nationals that H/D could be pushed out of the top, and both times I've been wrong. They're getting the GOE and PCS they need this year.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I don't know if I'm quite ready for Four Continents drama yet, but that being said - I think this is Hubbell/Donohue's to lose. I prefer the other teams' programs but I thought at both the GPF and Nationals that H/D could be pushed out of the top, and both times I've been wrong. They're getting the GOE and PCS they need this year.

Well they haven't had to face Weaver/Poje yet, who are a stronger team than those they faced at GPF and Nationals. Hubbell/Donohue's RD imo, is a shadow of W/P's 2014 FD with the same music. Many people underestimated Weaver/Poje for Nationals because they didn't compete on the GP, even though they had been alternating performing their RD and FD on the TTYCT. They pretty much got all their KP's and some level 4 step sequences at Nats. I'd say they have a very good shot at their third 4CC title, after they claimed their third Nationals title.

FanFan3256

Rinkside
You're right. I really think G/P have the best free of the season. H/D's really doesn't do it for me, it honestly seems like a step back for them to me. I prefer G/P's to W/P's as well, and they already beat them once in the free. I love C/B, and their FD is so energetic and so fun, but I'm not sure their free dance quite holds a candle to G/P. I wouldn't be surprised if G/P won the FD, or at least came pretty close to it.

H/D doesn’t do it for me either, I think certain things they do well, but they are not better than the rest, their programs this year are not great so that doesn’t help imo...I think the French team is better than the rest (P/C). They are the Virtue/Moir and Davis/White of their time. To be honest I think if P/C had better programs during the last Olympic cycle they would have won gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.