Gracie Gold Announces Withdrawal from US Nationals | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold Announces Withdrawal from US Nationals

truthbooth

On the Ice
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsbhs2QntNk/

According to her latest Instagram post:

Since my return to competitive skating, I’ve had one mantra: Trust the Process. While difficult at times, coming back to skating has been the best decision I could have made. A large part of trusting the process has me looking more at the big picture of my career. My goal is the 2022 Olympics in Beijing. With that being said, I have decided it is in my best interest to withdraw from the 2019 championships. This was an incredibly difficult decision, but ultimately the right one.

I have already begun preparations for next year. This is a great opportunity for me to get a jump start on the season. I want to thank everyone for their support this past season, as the feedback I have received has been quite tremendous. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I wish everyone the best of luck at the Championships. See you all soon.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Not really a surprise, but it's great that she's thinking about the long term and staying positive. While I'd like to see her compete at the top levels again, I'd like it more if she is happy doing what she loves whether or not that involves skating.

moriel

Record Breaker
great decision imho.
At GP she looked very out of shape, and its better to have extra time and come back ready next season, than go for worlds only to have a subpar performance there

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy to hear that Gracie is thinking about the long term and that her goal is Beijing:hap10:

But whatever makes Gracie happy is of course most important :agree:

Also so cool to see Trust the Process in her post:biggrin: I think I remember seeing Gracie in a Sixers hat and training in the Philly burbs, TTP is in the air :)

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Noooo..(but if that's what Gracie needs)...but noooo..I had already bought my tickets, train tickets and joined Friends of Figure Skating..guess I should have waited.:(:sad4::curse:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Noooo..(but if that's what Gracie needs)...but noooo..I had already bought my tickets, train tickets and joined Friends of Figure Skating..guess I should have waited.:(:sad4::curse:

You can still support and meet other skaters.:biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can still support and meet other skaters.:biggrin:

Yes, I can. However if I did not think Gracie would be there I would not have purchased tickets. I'm already looking up driving times to Greensboro. The train was 39 hours:(

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good decision. Who is her replacement?

I'm not sure she would have a replacement since she had a bye? Not to mention, she can't be replaced, at least not in my heart.:luv17:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure she would have a replacement since she had a bye? Not to mention, she can't be replaced, at least not in my heart.:luv17:

I understand your disappointment :console:

I believe the highest scorer from sectionals will go; I think that’s how it workd? No idea who that may be :shrug:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it was a smart decision. She needs more time to get back into the competitive spirit, and be gentle with herself at the same time.

Good thoughts and love to you, Gracie!

Yes, I can. However if I did not think Gracie would be there I would not have purchased tickets. I'm already looking up driving times to Greensboro. The train was 39 hours :(

It's about 600 miles, 10 hours or so of driving time.

Detroit is very badly served by trains such as Amtrak. Maybe they have improved service since I last travelled, but back then to go from the east coast to Detroit you had to shoot past Detroit to the south and go to Chicago, then back east to Detroit. The alternative was to get off the train at Lima, Ohio and take the greyhound bus from there. :(

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… I believe the highest scorer from sectionals will go; I think that’s how it workd? No idea who that may be :shrug:

AFAIK, moonvine is correct that Gracie -- who had a bye to Nats -- will not be replaced.

If Gracie had been a qualifier from sectionals, then she would be replaced by another skater from sectionals.

Best to Gracie. :ghug:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's about 600 miles, 10 hours or so of driving time.

Detroit is very badly served by trains such as Amtrak. Maybe they have improved service since I last travelled, but back then to go from the east coast to Detroit you had to shoot past Detroit to the south and go to Chicago, then back east to Detroit. The alternative was to get off the train at Lima, Ohio and take the greyhound bus from there. :(

I live in St Louis. I'm taking the train from here to Detroit due to fear of weather and it's about 12 hours. The train from St Louis to Greensboro is 39 hours. Driving time is 12 ish hours for a regular person. I have to stop a LOT and walk around due to my arthritic knee. I guess I will wait until closer to next year's Nationals to see if she even makes it as she can't use a bye again.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
AFAIK, moonvine is correct that Gracie -- who had a bye to Nats -- will not be replaced.

If Gracie had been a qualifier from sectionals, then she would be replaced by another skater from sectionals.

Best to Gracie. :ghug:

This is correct. Skaters with byes to the event who withdraw are not replaced. Only skaters who qualified via sectionals are replaced, with the 5th place skater at the withdrawn skater's sectional getting the spot.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am so fine with this. I think a poor performance at Nationals would have been devastating for her. I truly hope she's able to continue improving and can get back to where she was in 2016. I wish her the best.

melgirl25

Medalist
I am so fine with this. I think a poor performance at Nationals would have been devastating for her. I truly hope she's able to continue improving and can get back to where she was in 2016. I wish her the best.

So true. Do you think she’ll do some shows?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I just had an excellent thought.

Excellently selfish for me that is:cool:

Gracie trains at the same rink where the Philadelphia Summer Championships (Liberty) are held. Dare I hope by August?:pray:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
For some reason I missed this. This is kind of devastating news. But probably the right thing and really not surprising at all - I was just hoping. I thought maybe it is true she may be more robust but more powerful. I hoped maybe some of you were right that she had a bad day in Russia. I hoped that despite people saying she was not landing triples or the 2A clearly as of November was just conjecture.