Help with buying used Gold Seal blaades | Golden Skate

Help with buying used Gold Seal blaades

Namie

Spectator
Hi everybody.
I've never bought used blades before so I belive I can get some help on this forum.

I would appreciate your advise on the Gold Seals which were used for over a year, probably 15 hrs per week, with about 5-6 sharpenings at least.

How much sharpening life do they have? And with their condition how long will I be able to skate o them?
In my next post I will attach some close up photos since the system doesn't allow me to post any links in my first post.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’d shy away from buying used blades, honestly. I know it’s a good way to save money but even if they seem to have a lot of life left in them, you can’t be sure that they were sharpened well / correctly and that the shape of the rocker was preserved, even from looking at photos.

I got lucky checking eBay for brand new blades at lower prices. I got a brand new pair of MK Professionals with K-picks that had never been sold (presumably because K-picks were never that popular), and the shop was getting rid of them on clearance for $75.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi everybody.
I've never bought used blades before so I belive I can get some help on this forum.

I would appreciate your advise on the Gold Seals which were used for over a year, probably 15 hrs per week, with about 5-6 sharpenings at least.

How much sharpening life do they have? And with their condition how long will I be able to skate o them?
In my next post I will attach some close up photos since the system doesn't allow me to post any links in my first post.
My advice is not to consider buying used blades unless you can bring them to a trusted, competent tech who can evaluate them first. That rules out online purchases; but if you are buying local, see if you can work out a suitable arrangement.

Namie

Spectator
Unfortunately, I'm not able to buy them locally.
Thank you for the fast responses so far guys.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hard to say without seeing them in person but they look rather well used, with maybe some life left.
You don't have to answer if you're not comfortable but I'm curious as to how much is being asked for them.

I do agree that it would be good to have a blade tech look at them to see if they are worth the price for condition and life left. They may be and you may have a good deal for your current needs.

jf12

Final Flight
Hard to say without seeing them in person but they look rather well used, with maybe some life left.
You don't have to answer if you're not comfortable but I'm curious as to how much is being asked for them.

I do agree that it would be good to have a blade tech look at them to see if they are worth the price for condition and life left. They may be and you may have a good deal for your current needs.

In general my blades last about 1.5 years skating 10 hours a week... I wouldn't buy these unless its at such a low price that you won't care much if they don't end up working out.

Namie

Spectator
As far as I know, the blades were sharpened at a reputable skate shop, but the seler said the rocker is worn compared to a new pair.
Do you think that skating on newly bought MK Profs would feel better than on used over a year gold seals with let's say 13 sharpenings? Right now I can't afford new Gold Seals.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Do you think that skating on newly bought MK Profs would feel better than on used over a year gold seals with let's say 13 sharpenings? Right now I can't afford new Gold Seals.

I’d imagine it’ll feel better starting with a fresh spin rocker. And if you’re using Gold Seals already, the Pros have a similar spin rocker - you’ll just have to adjust to the main rocker being 7’ instead of 8’.

If you want an affordable option with an 8’ main rocker, the Paramount CP might be worth looking at too. I think some folks on the forum have said they don’t care for them; my skate tech said they’re generally a good product, as long as there’s a sharpener near you that has the right kind of jig on their machine to sharpen them, and as long as you don’t mind that they’re a little noisier than regular blades. I almost bought a pair before I found the deal I got on my MK Pros.

concorde

Medalist
I jump bumped an old thread on this subject.

Expect 20 sharpening max. If the sharpener is bad, that number will go down. If the sharpener is a dud, blades can be destroyed after just one sharpening.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As far as I know, the blades were sharpened at a reputable skate shop, but the seler said the rocker is worn compared to a new pair.

If the rocker is already worn that much, then no, I would not purchase them.

concorde

Medalist
How good of a deal are you getting? If the price is right, I would get them.

Another thought -why is the skater getting rid of them. That would also play into my decision.

Looking at the pictures you posted, they look ok to me.

Shani

On the Ice
Skip used blades as a Mom who bought them. Competitive wise 9-15 months full training on new goldseals at appropriate level.

Shani

On the Ice
I am sorry but skip used blades. It is a waste of your money, and I counted every last penny as a Mom. One bad sharpening can wreck them, and so can every last bad double and triple attempt. There are few trustworthy skate sharpeners out there, or knowledgeable might be the best word.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am sorry but skip used blades. It is a waste of your money, and I counted every last penny as a Mom. One bad sharpening can wreck them, and so can every last bad double and triple attempt. There are few trustworthy skate sharpeners out there, or knowledgeable might be the best word.

Sorry but blanket statements like "skip used blades" aren't always true.

I'm skating on a pair of used Phantoms that were in wonderful condition when I purchased them.
I had another pair of skates that did not work out for me and they were purchased from me because the buyer mounted the gently-used blade on their own boots.

One statement does not fit all.

concorde

Medalist
One bad sharpening can wreck them, and so can every last bad double and triple attempt.

But isn't that true of any blade - new or used? If anything, that makes the case stronger for getting them use if the price is right.

Years ago we got a pair of used Gold Seals for my daughter. It was a good decision at the time and I stand by it.