2019 Junior Worlds: Men's Pregame Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Junior Worlds: Men's Pregame Chat

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
GBR just announced they are sending Edward Appleby as Luke Digby is injured.

Nirti

Medalist
Official list

40 entries, Donovan Carrillo logically skipping Junior Worlds after qualifying for Senior Worlds. Nobody from Latvia (Pavlovs had got the TES)

Holy Headband

On the Ice
My dream podium of Gumennik, Grassl and Shimada is probably unrealistic, so I'll just wish everyone a clean skate without injuries :hap10:

malya

On the Ice
Cheering for an (unrealistic) medal for Joseph Phan here!!

What's up with Erokhov? I thought he was injured again.
It's nice if he is fit to skate but I don't think he will be able to defend his medal.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Cheering for an (unrealistic) medal for Joseph Phan here!!

What's up with Erokhov? I thought he was injured again.
It's nice if he is fit to skate but I don't think he will be able to defend his medal.

he didn't do well at his last competition, he could be hard to him be in the top 5

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
he didn't do well at his last competition, he could be hard to him be in the top 5

I'd say it would be hard for any one of Murashov, Danielian, Erokhov to finish top 5 honestly. I hope Artur does well enough to end his season on a good note but I'm not to happy he will compete here :(

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It's gonna be hard for anyone to get into the top five, as we saw on the JGP, where the guy who ultimately won the JGPF didn't originally make the top 6 cut. Field is on its way back up, and we have a lot of guys in it who are technically competitive with each other. Only a couple (I think?) with multiple different quads for the free skate that could bring in beaucoup points but will have to deliver the jumps well under this year's system in order to reap the reward. My guess is that the Canadian wunderkind will do it. After that, goodness only knows. Quite a nice group of young performers: Gummenik, Hiwatashi, Shimada, Pulkinen--who could bring in the balanced scores across both events if they skate well and the big jumpers forfeit their GOE.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I'd say it would be hard for any one of Murashov, Danielian, Erokhov to finish top 5 honestly. I hope Artur does well enough to end his season on a good note but I'm not to happy he will compete here :(

i wish him could take some rest and start again next season working on his jumps and selfconfidence

It's gonna be hard for anyone to get into the top five, as we saw on the JGP, where the guy who ultimately won the JGPF didn't originally make the top 6 cut. Field is on its way back up, and we have a lot of guys in it who are technically competitive with each other. Only a couple (I think?) with multiple different quads for the free skate that could bring in beaucoup points but will have to deliver the jumps well under this year's system in order to reap the reward. My guess is that the Canadian wunderkind will do it. After that, goodness only knows. Quite a nice group of young performers: Gummenik, Hiwatashi, Shimada, Pulkinen--who could bring in the balanced scores across both events if they skate well and the big jumpers forfeit their GOE.

i'm pretty sure gogolev will get the gold here and gumennik, grassl, hiwatashi and shimada will end on or near the podium, in any possible order :biggrin: (juniors are always unpredictable and starting from this season most of the seniors too), i don't know about pulkinen, he didn't look very strong in the last competitions i saw him.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't think that would be any more unrealistic a possibility than Nadeau, Danielan, and Hiwatashi were the years they won medals. It's the men. Who knows?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think that would be any more unrealistic a possibility than Nadeau, Danielan, and Hiwatashi were the years they won medals. It's the men. Who knows?
Yeah, Joseph was fourth last year, and came third in the free skate, so it's not unrealistic for him to medal, though much of this season has been a disappointment. If he can have a free skate like he had at Canadian Nationals, he'd definitely be in the mix.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I forgot that it's already time for JW. :drama: So excited for men's! Gogolev seems to have settled in nicely after the blip that was his second JGP, so he looks to be a solid favorite for gold- alongside Hiwatashi I may add(like others have mentioned), who actually backed up a solid nationals showing with good skates at 4CC, and has the ability to beat Gogolev unlike the others(let's get real...Pulkinen is not likely to skate clean). Fight for the top finishes will be exciting and competitive in general though. Way more interesting than last season tbh.

century2009

On the Ice
I forgot that it's already time for JW. :drama: So excited for men's! Gogolev seems to have settled in nicely after the blip that was his second JGP, so he looks to be a solid favorite for gold- alongside Hiwatashi I may add(like others have mentioned), who actually backed up a solid nationals showing with good skates at 4CC, and has the ability to beat Gogolev unlike the others(let's get real...Pulkinen is not likely to skate clean). Fight for the top finishes will be exciting and competitive in general though. Way more interesting than last season tbh.

I dont know what is going on with Pulkinen. It has been a mess for him this season. But yes, he probably wont be clean for the FS.

Gogolev needs to control his nerves because I think that will be what might prevent him from the gold here.

I would like Hiwatashi to come in a get gold, bit can he be clean and continue the momentum.

Grassl is very interesting, but I think he wont be clean.

Country
Russia
Men in order of Season Best
In () - other best only if no Season Best

1 Tomoki HIWATASHI USA 236.79
2 Daniel GRASSL ITA 236.70
3 Stephen GOGOLEV CAN 233.58
4 Camden PULKINEN USA 223.95
5 Koshiro SHIMADA JPN 220.45
6 Petr GUMENNIK RUS 220.04
7 Adam SIAO HIM FA FRA 218.06
8 Roman SAVOSIN RUS 211.10
9 Alexei KRASNOZHON USA 211.03
10 Artur DANIELIAN RUS 210.49
11 Joseph PHAN CAN 207.80
12 Irakli MAYSURADZE GEO 207.60
13 Mark GORODNITSKY ISR 205.19
14 Vladimir LITVINTSEV AZE 204.28
15 Tatsuya TSUBOI JPN (198.44)
16 Luc MAIERHOFER AUT 198.29
17 Yudong CHEN CHN (195.74)
18 Matyas BELOHRADSKY CZE 192.72
19 Younghyun CHA KOR 183.99
20 Sihyeong LEE KOR 183.98
21 Ivan SHMURATKO UKR 181.01
22 Micah Kai LYNETTE THA 180.88
23 Nikolaj MAJOROV SWE 177.03
24 Yakau ZENKO BLR (176.89)
25 Gabriele FRANGIPANI ITA 165.85
26 Jonathan HESS GER 161.51
27 Basar OKTAR TUR 159.33
28 Nikita STAROSTIN GER 158.98
29 Kai Xiang CHEW MAS 153.28
30 Nurullah SAHAKA SUI 151.68
31 Rakhat BRALIN KAZ 150.95
32 Andrey KOKURA UKR (150.74)
33 Mihhail SELEVKO EST 148.41
34 Aleix GABARA ESP 129.64
35 Kornel WITKOWSKI POL 127.97
36 Edward APPLEBY GBR 112.60
37 Radoslav MARINOV BUL 103.52
38 Charles Henry KATANOVIC CRO 101.55

Top 2 got their bests at Euro and 4cc where quads in SP are allowed, so probably their Junior results would not be so high.