2019 Worlds: Ladies' Pregame Chat | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019 Worlds: Ladies' Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an Australian judge who used to be very strict with Russian skaters - I don't remember the name.

I think the beef was not so much thst this judge was against Russians, but that she gave a relative boost to the Canadian skater Kaetlyn Osmond at Skate Canada. Although she is judging for Australia, I think she is actually Canadian and in fact from the same proud Province as Kaetlyn (Newfoundland). Maybe a little home cooking, but no need to panic..

Of course, if Rika lands all triple axels she is untouchable. However, was she ever able to do that? With 4CC performance she would lose to clean Alina. Well, Alina has not been able yet to skate clean 2 programs this season. May be at the worlds?

I think that Rika will be hard to beat even if she lands just two out of three triple Axels and otherwise skates like she did at the Grand Prix Final. Those points just add up.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
I hope Satoko Miyahara and Mariah Bell skate clean. I found these two to have the most captivating skating this season among the seniors.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I'm so excited for Worlds. I think this is the most exciting Worlds in recent years.
I'm rooting for Rika, Kaori and Satoko to perform their best. And also for everyone to do their best. No injuries or fishy judging please.

scoty

Rinkside
I think if Rika botches the Axel in the short program then she won't make the final flight of ladies and therefore won't get the PCS boost needed to win.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I think if Rika botches the Axel in the short program then she won't make the final flight of ladies and therefore won't get the PCS boost needed to win.

Would not making the final group of ladies really outweigh her reputation as the only internationally undefeated lady this season?

Ziotic

Medalist
Would not making the final group of ladies really outweigh her reputation as the only internationally undefeated lady this season?

I mean wakaba went from 8th to 2nd so it’s doubtful that it will be an issue for Rika.

theharleyquinn

Medalist

GPF cemented Rika being very closely within reach of Alina's PCS. She was ~0.7 behind her in the short and ~0.3 behind her in the free. The boost has happened already. Depending on how they skate relative to each other I would not be surprised if they have matching PCS at Worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Depends on the others. She could still potentially make the final flight even with a 3A error, if she hits everything else. Last year only 71 points was needed for the final flight and her PB (at the GPF) is 82.51 (I know, different system, but similar deal).

Say she botches it - well, all the Russians would have to skate clean and then Tennell/Sakamoto/Kihira would also have to skate pretty much clean. Her PCS has risen considerably this season, and the 3A base value means even with an error she's still in the hunt.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
GPF cemented Rika being very closely within reach of Alina's PCS. She was ~0.7 behind her in the short and ~0.3 behind her in the free. The boost has happened already. Depending on how they skate relative to each other I would not be surprised if they have matching PCS at Worlds.

Really, with clean skates, Rika's PCS should match Alina's, IMO - based on the programs/choreo I've seen from them so far this season. (Not to mention, with a 3A, Rika's program is harder to execute on the whole).

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Depends on the others. She could still potentially make the final flight even with a 3A error, if she hits everything else. Last year only 71 points was needed for the final flight and her PB (at the GPF) is 82.51 (I know, different system, but similar deal).

Say she botches it - well, all the Russians would have to skate clean and then Tennell/Sakamoto/Kihira would also have to skate pretty much clean. Her PCS has risen considerably this season, and the 3A base value means even with an error she's still in the hunt.

Don't forget Miyahara! I love her SP :luv17: I do wish we could see the purple Skate America costume back.

I also think Rika wouldn't be affected too much if she missed the triple axel in her SP. Her FS is strong enough if she goes for 2 clean triple axels and does the rest of her jumps well.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I feel like Rika can win with only 1 3A compared to anyone else.

This is correct. She literally just won 4CC with only one triple axel. However, hitting only one leaves the door open for powerful skaters like Zagitova and Sakamoto. Rika really needs to hit the 3A in her SP. If she does, she’s World Champion as far as I’m concerned because she’s been consistent with her FS. Five out of six of her previous FS scores this season would seal the deal. The outlier being her FS score in France. She could win with that with a clean SP, but other skaters need to make mistakes. It would still be hard to beat her with just one 3A though because her score will still be close to 220. In a nutshell:

1 3A: Rika could win.
2 3As: Rika will win.
3 3As: Rika will win with WR scores. She’s yet to hit all three.

All of this makes the assumption that Rika nails all of her other elements. I haven’t watched all of her performances, but the only time I saw her make a mistake on a non-axel jump was in Japan Nationals, and she brilliantly played the mistake off. She doesn’t strike me as a skater that succumbs to pressure. On three different occasions (Japan Nationals, Grand Prix Final, 4CC), she made spur-of-the-moments decisions to ensure her place on top of the podium. Of course, she could always have a bad day. But I hope that bad day happened in France. Don’t let it happen at Worlds in her home country, for crying out loud.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Don't forget Miyahara! I love her SP :luv17: I do wish we could see the purple Skate America costume back.

I also think Rika wouldn't be affected too much if she missed the triple axel in her SP. Her FS is strong enough if she goes for 2 clean triple axels and does the rest of her jumps well.

Oops I meant Miyahara! Yes the Japanese ladies have a very strong contingent this year. When the Russian quadsters move up to senior it'll be tough for Miyahara and Sakamoto so this is a good opportunity for Kaori's first Worlds medal and another one for Satoko.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I haven’t watched all of her performances, but the only time I saw her make a mistake on a non-axel jump was in Japan Nationals, and she brilliantly played the mistake off.
There was only one other one, spinning out of the triple Salchow in her free skate at Nepela Trophy.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
This is correct. She literally just won 4CC with only one triple axel. However, hitting only one leaves the door open for powerful skaters like Zagitova and Sakamoto. Rika really needs to hit the 3A in her SP. If she does, she’s World Champion as far as I’m concerned because she’s been consistent with her FS. Five out of six of her previous FS scores this season would seal the deal. The outlier being her FS score in France. She could win with that with a clean SP, but other skaters need to make mistakes. It would still be hard to beat her with just one 3A though because her score will still be close to 220. In a nutshell:

All of this makes the assumption that Rika nails all of her other elements. I haven’t watched all of her performances, but the only time I saw her make a mistake on a non-axel jump was in Japan Nationals, and she brilliantly played the mistake off. She doesn’t strike me as a skater that succumbs to pressure. On three different occasions (Japan Nationals, Grand Prix Final, 4CC), she made spur-of-the-moments decisions to ensure her place on top of the podium. Of course, she could always have a bad day. But I hope that bad day happened in France. Don’t let it happen at Worlds in her home country, for crying out loud.

as someone who's been following Rika since the beginning of last season, this makes me laugh. :laugh:
Not because I disagree. Right now, this season, she's really not succumbing to anything, she has proven time and time again that she's determined and focused to do her best. But god last season was a mess! :laugh2:
Rika has grown SO MUCH! It's jaw-dropping honestly. :eeking:

For that, I think she will do great at Worlds. :pray: I'm rooting for her!

lzxnl

Final Flight

Rika did also pop a 3T in her Nationals SP, and her 3Lo at 4CC attracted a few negative GOEs, but I'm splitting hairs here. Anything could happen at Worlds, but if Rika skates her SP cleanly (this time with a level 4 sit spin please), she's almost surely going to win. Notwithstanding the immense pressure it'll put on the other competitors in the free.

Do us proud Rika, and stay undefeated internationally! You know you want it too.

taylor1

On the Ice
Really, with clean skates, Rika's PCS should match Alina's, IMO - based on the programs/choreo I've seen from them so far this season. (Not to mention, with a 3A, Rika's program is harder to execute on the whole).

Not on a whole. On a whole Alina's jam packed program is much more difficult to execute, hence her many failures this season.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Finland has confirmed the team: Viveca in ladies as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.