Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: 2019 Worlds: Ladies' Pregame Chat

  1. #41
    All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7,002
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Annelegato View Post
    wait why does russia gets 17 entries ????
    They don't. It means that 17 skaters are eligible to skate if they were selected by their federation.
    Russia has three entries for placing 5th + 8th last year

  2. #42
    Rinkside taylor1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    42

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by readernick View Post
    I don't think Rika actually needs to land all of her triple axels to beat Alina or anyone else. Two is enough to win because all of her other elements are so good. I did not know that Liza competed last weekend. Where did she compete? Did she try her 3A? I will be so sad if her sickness ended her season. Those jumps are beautiful.
    If Rika doesn’t land her triple axel in short program, then Alina will be the SP winner. I think then it would be an even playing field for the two. Rika needs to land all her triple axels if she wants the best chance of beating a clean Alina. But then again a clean Alina is questionable this season

  3. #43
    On the Ice Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34,443
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    There is an Australian judge who used to be very strict with Russian skaters - I don't remember the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    I think the beef was not so much thst this judge was against Russians, but that she gave a relative boost to the Canadian skater Kaetlyn Osmond at Skate Canada. Although she is judging for Australia, I think she is actually Canadian and in fact from the same proud Province as Kaetlyn (Newfoundland). Maybe a little home cooking, but no need to panic..

    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    Of course, if Rika lands all triple axels she is untouchable. However, was she ever able to do that? With 4CC performance she would lose to clean Alina. Well, Alina has not been able yet to skate clean 2 programs this season. May be at the worlds?
    I think that Rika will be hard to beat even if she lands just two out of three triple Axels and otherwise skates like she did at the Grand Prix Final. Those points just add up.

  4. #44
    On the Ice lanceupper1114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    135

    4 Not allowed!
    I hope Satoko Miyahara and Mariah Bell skate clean. I found these two to have the most captivating skating this season among the seniors.

  5. #45
    The Last One Degree jenm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    986

    1 Not allowed!
    I'm so excited for Worlds. I think this is the most exciting Worlds in recent years.
    I'm rooting for Rika, Kaori and Satoko to perform their best. And also for everyone to do their best. No injuries or fishy judging please.

  6. #46
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    12

    1 Not allowed!
    I think if Rika botches the Axel in the short program then she won't make the final flight of ladies and therefore won't get the PCS boost needed to win.

  7. #47
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    274

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by scoty View Post
    I think if Rika botches the Axel in the short program then she won't make the final flight of ladies and therefore won't get the PCS boost needed to win.
    Would not making the final group of ladies really outweigh her reputation as the only internationally undefeated lady this season?

  8. #48
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,130

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lzxnl View Post
    Would not making the final group of ladies really outweigh her reputation as the only internationally undefeated lady this season?
    I mean wakaba went from 8th to 2nd so it’s doubtful that it will be an issue for Rika.

  9. #49
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    347

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by scoty View Post
    I think if Rika botches the Axel in the short program then she won't make the final flight of ladies and therefore won't get the PCS boost needed to win.
    GPF cemented Rika being very closely within reach of Alina's PCS. She was ~0.7 behind her in the short and ~0.3 behind her in the free. The boost has happened already. Depending on how they skate relative to each other I would not be surprised if they have matching PCS at Worlds.

  10. #50
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11,554
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by scoty View Post
    I think if Rika botches the Axel in the short program then she won't make the final flight of ladies and therefore won't get the PCS boost needed to win.
    Depends on the others. She could still potentially make the final flight even with a 3A error, if she hits everything else. Last year only 71 points was needed for the final flight and her PB (at the GPF) is 82.51 (I know, different system, but similar deal).

    Say she botches it - well, all the Russians would have to skate clean and then Tennell/Sakamoto/Kihira would also have to skate pretty much clean. Her PCS has risen considerably this season, and the 3A base value means even with an error she's still in the hunt.

  11. #51
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11,554
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by theharleyquinn View Post
    GPF cemented Rika being very closely within reach of Alina's PCS. She was ~0.7 behind her in the short and ~0.3 behind her in the free. The boost has happened already. Depending on how they skate relative to each other I would not be surprised if they have matching PCS at Worlds.
    Really, with clean skates, Rika's PCS should match Alina's, IMO - based on the programs/choreo I've seen from them so far this season. (Not to mention, with a 3A, Rika's program is harder to execute on the whole).

  12. #52
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    267
    Country: United Kingdom

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Depends on the others. She could still potentially make the final flight even with a 3A error, if she hits everything else. Last year only 71 points was needed for the final flight and her PB (at the GPF) is 82.51 (I know, different system, but similar deal).

    Say she botches it - well, all the Russians would have to skate clean and then Tennell/Sakamoto/Kihira would also have to skate pretty much clean. Her PCS has risen considerably this season, and the 3A base value means even with an error she's still in the hunt.
    Don't forget Miyahara! I love her SP I do wish we could see the purple Skate America costume back.

    I also think Rika wouldn't be affected too much if she missed the triple axel in her SP. Her FS is strong enough if she goes for 2 clean triple axels and does the rest of her jumps well.

  13. #53
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    21

    1 Not allowed!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKGasODrAcU

    It's 30 years before now.

    Of course we know every single ladies skaker have triple axel current days.

  14. #54
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    26

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatefan15 View Post
    I feel like Rika can win with only 1 3A compared to anyone else.
    This is correct. She literally just won 4CC with only one triple axel. However, hitting only one leaves the door open for powerful skaters like Zagitova and Sakamoto. Rika really needs to hit the 3A in her SP. If she does, she’s World Champion as far as I’m concerned because she’s been consistent with her FS. Five out of six of her previous FS scores this season would seal the deal. The outlier being her FS score in France. She could win with that with a clean SP, but other skaters need to make mistakes. It would still be hard to beat her with just one 3A though because her score will still be close to 220. In a nutshell:

    1 3A: Rika could win.
    2 3As: Rika will win.
    3 3As: Rika will win with WR scores. She’s yet to hit all three.

    All of this makes the assumption that Rika nails all of her other elements. I haven’t watched all of her performances, but the only time I saw her make a mistake on a non-axel jump was in Japan Nationals, and she brilliantly played the mistake off. She doesn’t strike me as a skater that succumbs to pressure. On three different occasions (Japan Nationals, Grand Prix Final, 4CC), she made spur-of-the-moments decisions to ensure her place on top of the podium. Of course, she could always have a bad day. But I hope that bad day happened in France. Don’t let it happen at Worlds in her home country, for crying out loud.

  15. #55
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11,554
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer57 View Post
    Don't forget Miyahara! I love her SP I do wish we could see the purple Skate America costume back.

    I also think Rika wouldn't be affected too much if she missed the triple axel in her SP. Her FS is strong enough if she goes for 2 clean triple axels and does the rest of her jumps well.

    Oops I meant Miyahara! Yes the Japanese ladies have a very strong contingent this year. When the Russian quadsters move up to senior it'll be tough for Miyahara and Sakamoto so this is a good opportunity for Kaori's first Worlds medal and another one for Satoko.

  16. #56
    GS Supporter Colonel Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,441
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by YuBluByMe View Post
    I haven’t watched all of her performances, but the only time I saw her make a mistake on a non-axel jump was in Japan Nationals, and she brilliantly played the mistake off.
    There was only one other one, spinning out of the triple Salchow in her free skate at Nepela Trophy.

  17. #57
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    155

    0 Not allowed!
    When does Canada decide who the other two spot will be?

  18. #58
    GS Supporter Colonel Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,441
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrgirl View Post
    When does Canada decide who the other two spot will be?
    All they said was that it would be after Four Continents. I imagine they’re giving Daleman as much time as possible to decide if she’ll go.

  19. #59
    Medalist rikaquegira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,463

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by YuBluByMe View Post
    This is correct. She literally just won 4CC with only one triple axel. However, hitting only one leaves the door open for powerful skaters like Zagitova and Sakamoto. Rika really needs to hit the 3A in her SP. If she does, she’s World Champion as far as I’m concerned because she’s been consistent with her FS. Five out of six of her previous FS scores this season would seal the deal. The outlier being her FS score in France. She could win with that with a clean SP, but other skaters need to make mistakes. It would still be hard to beat her with just one 3A though because her score will still be close to 220. In a nutshell:

    1 3A: Rika could win.
    2 3As: Rika will win.
    3 3As: Rika will win with WR scores. She’s yet to hit all three.

    All of this makes the assumption that Rika nails all of her other elements. I haven’t watched all of her performances, but the only time I saw her make a mistake on a non-axel jump was in Japan Nationals, and she brilliantly played the mistake off. She doesn’t strike me as a skater that succumbs to pressure. On three different occasions (Japan Nationals, Grand Prix Final, 4CC), she made spur-of-the-moments decisions to ensure her place on top of the podium. Of course, she could always have a bad day. But I hope that bad day happened in France. Don’t let it happen at Worlds in her home country, for crying out loud.
    as someone who's been following Rika since the beginning of last season, this makes me laugh.
    Not because I disagree. Right now, this season, she's really not succumbing to anything, she has proven time and time again that she's determined and focused to do her best. But god last season was a mess!
    Rika has grown SO MUCH! It's jaw-dropping honestly.

    For that, I think she will do great at Worlds. I'm rooting for her!

  20. #60
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    274

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by YuBluByMe View Post
    This is correct. She literally just won 4CC with only one triple axel. However, hitting only one leaves the door open for powerful skaters like Zagitova and Sakamoto. Rika really needs to hit the 3A in her SP. If she does, she’s World Champion as far as I’m concerned because she’s been consistent with her FS. Five out of six of her previous FS scores this season would seal the deal. The outlier being her FS score in France. She could win with that with a clean SP, but other skaters need to make mistakes. It would still be hard to beat her with just one 3A though because her score will still be close to 220. In a nutshell:

    1 3A: Rika could win.
    2 3As: Rika will win.
    3 3As: Rika will win with WR scores. She’s yet to hit all three.

    All of this makes the assumption that Rika nails all of her other elements. I haven’t watched all of her performances, but the only time I saw her make a mistake on a non-axel jump was in Japan Nationals, and she brilliantly played the mistake off. She doesn’t strike me as a skater that succumbs to pressure. On three different occasions (Japan Nationals, Grand Prix Final, 4CC), she made spur-of-the-moments decisions to ensure her place on top of the podium. Of course, she could always have a bad day. But I hope that bad day happened in France. Don’t let it happen at Worlds in her home country, for crying out loud.
    Rika did also pop a 3T in her Nationals SP, and her 3Lo at 4CC attracted a few negative GOEs, but I'm splitting hairs here. Anything could happen at Worlds, but if Rika skates her SP cleanly (this time with a level 4 sit spin please), she's almost surely going to win. Notwithstanding the immense pressure it'll put on the other competitors in the free.

    Do us proud Rika, and stay undefeated internationally! You know you want it too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •