2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirti

Medalist
Here are the projected entries :)

AUS1Chantelle KERRY / Andrew DODDS
BLR1Anna KUBLIKOVA / Yuri HULITSKI
CAN3Laurence FOURNIER-BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN, Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER and Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
CHN1Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU
EST1Katerina BUNINA / German FROLOV
FIN1Juulia TURKKILA / Matthias VERSLUIS
FRA2Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC and Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
GER1Shari KOCH / Christian NÜCHTERN
GBR1Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON
HUN1Anna YANOVSKAYA / Adam LUKACS
ISR1Shira ICHILOV / Vadim DAVIDOVICH
ITA2/3Charlène GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI and Jasmine TESSARI / Francesco FIORETTI
JPN1Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO
LTU1Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS
POL1Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV
RUS2Viktoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV and Aleksandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
ESP1Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN
SUI1Victoria MANNI / Carlo RÖTHLISBERGER
UKR1Aleksandra NAZAROVA / Maksim NIKITIN
USA3Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES, Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER, Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE

Ice dance : 28 teams

As of february 25th, compared to the average between 30 and 32 teams during the last olympiade, the number of entries could be a bit lower this year, after the retirement of the turkish, korean, armenian, slovak and czech teams. From the team competing at Euros and 4 Continents, only the bulgarian Markova/Dazé can't go to Worlds because of not having reach both TES segments.

Pairs who meet the RD TES only : Teodora MARKOVA / Simon DAZE (BUL), Nicole KELLY / Berk AKALIN (TUR)

Here’s the list of 2019 competitions where the skaters can earn their TES for Worlds. In brackets, the skaters concerned. In bold, the ones who obtained these TES.
- Mentor Torun Cup, Poland (Manni/Röthlisberger)
- European Championships, Belarus (none)
- Egna Dance Trophy, Italy (Calderone/Papetti, Zhata/Lukouski, Loboda/Shibnev)
- Four Continents Championships, USA (none)
- Bavarian Open, Germany (none)
- Jegvirag Cup, Hungary (no senior event)
- Ice Mall Cup, Israel (Bunina/Frolov)

Nirti

Medalist
After Egna Dance Trophy, 3 new teams reached their TES for Worlds :
- the italian Chiara Calderone and Pietro Papetti, so now Italy has the choice between 4 pairs for 3 spots. They even scored better than Moscheni/Fabbri in Egna.
- the ukrainian Yulia Zhata and Yan Lukouski, who probably will be substitute for Popova/Byelikov (except if Nazarova/Nikitin are back)
- the russian Alla Loboda and Anton Shibnev for their first international event, but they have obviously no chances to be selected for Worlds this year.

Nirti

Medalist
A top 10 is not impossible for them if Mr Dostatni isn't there to overrate the polish pair :rolleye:

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Natalia and Maxim are good team with great technical skills and original dances, they deserve their place at Europeans , also Sara and Kiril made mistake in the RD twizzles and still received very very good score. I also would like Sara and Kiril to be at the top 10 so we can see next year both Spanish teams at worlds so very deserved, but this does not change the fact that polish team is a good one with interesting elements and deserve its scores nevertheless they are not training at the most prominent coaches. Anyway I still think that Hurtado/Khaliavin will be placed among the top 10 if clean :)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Disco Brits are also in, per Lewis Gibson's instagram! :love: Tweedale/Buckland are substitutes.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Natalia and Maxim are good team with great technical skills and original dances, they deserve their place at Europeans , also Sara and Kiril made mistake in the RD twizzles and still received very very good score. I also would like Sara and Kiril to be at the top 10 so we can see next year both Spanish teams at worlds so very deserved, but this does not change the fact that polish team is a good one with interesting elements and deserve its scores nevertheless they are not training at the most prominent coaches. Anyway I still think that Hurtado/Khaliavin will be placed among the top 10 if clean :)

Based on loose calculations/predictions, top 10 will probably consist of: 1 French team, 3 US teams, 3 Canadian teams, 2 Russian teams which leaves one place inside of top 10, my bet would be on Lewis/Gibson or Hurtado/Khaliavin. Poles, as you said, are solid technicians and I can't deny them that, HOWEVER - the level of inflation they get lately in GOEs is quite astonishing to see, saying this as a Pole myself. Their tech capability (to get levels etc.) does not exactly equal the quality of their skating nor the sophistication/coherency level of their programs, especially for FD which for me could be perceived as 'original' per idea of it (in sea of contemporary/lyrical material this season), but the construction/design/arrangement of it leaves quite a lot to desire for in terms of polish, flow, nuance, attention to detail, body movement. As for their team...these days in my opinion it is more about knowing who to approach and how to approach than being perceived as 'prominent' or not which seems like the case lately. I just wish politicking in this situation would be less apparent and more 'subtle', if this is even possible at all.

But we will see, the bizarre level of this season's scores makes me anticipate everything possible.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Based on loose calculations/predictions, top 10 will probably consist of: 1 French team, 3 US teams, 3 Canadian teams, 2 Russian teams which leaves one place inside of top 10, my bet would be on Lewis/Gibson or Hurtado/Khaliavin. Poles, as you said, are solid technicians and I can't deny them that, HOWEVER - the level of inflation they get lately in GOEs is quite astonishing to see, saying this as a Pole myself. Their tech capability (to get levels etc.) does not exactly equal the quality of their skating nor the sophistication/coherency level of their programs, especially for FD which for me could be perceived as 'original' per idea of it (in sea of contemporary/lyrical material this season), but the construction/design/arrangement of it leaves quite a lot to desire for in terms of polish, flow, nuance, attention to detail, body movement. As for their team...these days in my opinion it is more about knowing who to approach and how to approach than being perceived as 'prominent' or not which seems like the case lately. I just wish politicking in this situation would be less apparent and more 'subtle', if this is even possible at all.

But we will see, the bizarre level of this season's scores makes me anticipate everything possible.

I agree about Natalia and Max that their levels are good and have room to progress in the flow and polish, but I dont thing that the teams they left behind are far more superior than them. They are all close and all depends on the day of the performance and of course the judges.
About the standings I think we have to add 1 Italian in top 10. I have my personal preference to Lewis/Gibson rather than Hurtado/Khaliavin, but I would rather have Sara and Kiril in top 10 because of Smart Diaz Anyway If someone goes wrong (Canadian or US team for example) and Kiril and Sara are clean perhaps they will be in top 10. During one competition it was said that Zhulin teams always have a bit advantage and I tend to believe in Zhulin connections too:)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I agree about Natalia and Max that their levels are good and have room to progress in the flow and polish, but I dont thing that the teams they left behind are far more superior than them. They are all close and all depends on the day of the performance and of course the judges.
About the standings I think we have to add 1 Italian in top 10. I have my personal preference to Lewis/Gibson rather than Hurtado/Khaliavin, but I would rather have Sara and Kiril in top 10 because of Smart Diaz Anyway If someone goes wrong (Canadian or US team for example) and Kiril and Sara are clean perhaps they will be in top 10. During one competition it was said that Zhulin teams always have a bit advantage and I tend to believe in Zhulin connections too:)

OMG forgot about Guignard/Fabbri, I am honestly ashamed of myself right now :slink:. Yes, they sure will make top 10 at Worlds, without a doubt.

Nirti

Medalist
For the moment, based on international scores, we have this ranking :

1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON 217,98
2. Aleksandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN 206,41
3. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE 205,35
4. Viktoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV 201,37
5. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 201,27
6. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI 199,84
7. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES 197,42
8. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE 197,27
9. Natalia KALISZEK / Maksim SPODYRIEV 186,57
10. Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER 184,63
11. Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON 182,05
12. Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN 180,67
13. Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC 180,32
* Laurence FOURNIER-BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN

There's a clear top8, then 6 other teams. Lauriault/Le Gac were a bit outrun at Euros because of some mistakes so I don't see them in the race for the top10. About Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen, we'll see in some days where they are in the "hierarchy". At 2018 Euros they were in the same points as Hurtado/Khaliavin and Kaliszek/Spodyriev.

7/14 teams from this list train in Montreal... + Wang/Liu and Komatsubara/Koleto, one third of all the participants will come from the same club!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I agree about the clear top 8 teams (P/C, H/D, S/B, W/P, S/K, C/B, G/F and G/P). Then I think there are 5 teams I could see getting those last two top 10 spots: Hawayek/Baker, Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen, Kaliszek/Spodyriev, Fear/Gibson and Hurtado/Khaliavin. I'm not sure K/S's scores will hold with a different panel, but they have the highest SB of these teams. H/B have a GP gold and made the GPF. For FB/S, we'll have a better sense after 4CCs where they'll stack up (both score-wise and compared to H/B), but they did look strong at Nationals.

The head to heads we have between these teams this season are:
- Euros: K/S (5), F/G (6), H/K (7)
- CoR: H/K (2), K/S (5)
- NHK: H/B (1), F/G (4)
- SA: F/G (5), K/S (6)
- Nebelhorn: F/G (4), K/S (8)

Andrea82

Medalist
Pairs who meet the RD TES only : Teodora MARKOVA / Simon DAZE (BUL), Nicole KELLY / Berk AKALIN (TUR)
Pairs who meet the FS TES only : Matilda FRIEND / William BADAOUI (AUS), Emiliya KALEHANOVA / Uladzislau PALKHOUSKI (BLR), Molly LANAGHAN / Dmitre RAZGULAJEVS (CAN), Wanqi NING / Chao WANG (CHN), Katerina BUNINA / German FROLOV (EST), Emily MONAGHAN / Ilias FOURATI (HUN), Karina MANTA / Joseph JOHNSON (USA)

Here’s the list of 2019 competitions where the skaters can earn their TES for Worlds. In brackets, the skaters concerned. In bold, the ones who obtained these TES.
- Mentor Torun Cup, Poland (Manni/Röthlisberger)
- European Championships, Belarus (none)
- Egna Dance Trophy, Italy (Calderone/Papetti, Zhata/Lukouski, Loboda/Shibnev)
- Four Continents Championships, USA
- Bavarian Open, Germany (Markova/Daze)
- Jegvirag Cup, Hungary
- Ice Mall Cup, Israel

Ice Mall have Markova/Daze and Bunina/Frolov. Also Nazarova/Nikitin are still entered.

I don't see the Turkish team entered in the Spring events

Nirti

Medalist
So no turkish team at all, as all the entry lists for the next competitions have been published!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
7/14 teams from this list train in Montreal... + Wang/Liu and Komatsubara/Koleto, one third of all the participants will come from the same club!

I think Komatsubara/Koleto are now training in Japan, I remember seeing a Twitter post about them being excited to move back.

Just looking back at previous worlds, I thought that Russia would have more than 2 spots in ice dance. I'm sure that they will be determined to earn a third spot for the next championships.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Komatsubara/Koleto are now training in Japan, I remember seeing a Twitter post about them being excited to move back.

Just looking back at previous worlds, I thought that Russia would have more than 2 spots in ice dance. I'm sure that they will be determined to earn a third spot for the next championships.

They are still part of the Gadbois team, but they have to spend part of the year in Japan to give him a chance to get citizenship.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Russian ice dance is really lucky to have 2. No one can deny the program has been largely abandoned to focus on ladies.

pesto

On the Ice
Oh dear, that squeeze for the bottom end of the top ten is fierce. As a Brit, I'd love to see Lilah and Lewis make it, as we do actually have a second pair capable of skating at an international level, and that's a rare thing in British figure skating.

But, I really feel that it'd be a horrible shame for the Spanish not to have two spots for next year. I want to see both those couples skate.

I kind of hate the ISU's qualification criteria.

Nirti

Medalist
I agree, qualifications criteria could be adapted and more based on each skaters/pairs performances rather than a complicated calculation during one only event...!

1904sk8

On the Ice
I agree, qualifications criteria could be adapted and more based on each skaters/pairs performances rather than a complicated calculation during one only event...!

I agree. France will always have 3 spots just because P/C have placed in the top 2 at worlds every year since 2015 even though they have a weaker dance program overall compared to countries such as russia and even spain who have less spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.