Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 81 to 98 of 98

Thread: 2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat

  1. #81
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11,554
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcash View Post
    The Spanish situation seems to be the most vexing. Why hasn’t S/D been outscoring the other team? Real difference in quality or politics?
    Agreed. Smart/Diaz can't seem to catch a break - they were essentially robbed of the Olympics, and due to injuries/errors this season, they've lost ground to H/K. H/K also got some momentum with their silver (first dance medal for Spain) on the Grand Prix -- although they were super lucky to go to the easiest GP event at Rostelecom (where them getting even 165 points would have been enough for bronze)... S/D performing as well as they can would have also gotten silver there too.

    But yeah, also S/D can do better than their freedance shows. I fully expect them to overtake H/K next season if they stay healthy because they truly are the better team, IMO.

  2. #82
    Tripping on the Podium LaArdilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    889
    Country: Poland

    4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Note to Choreographers and Coaches: Befriend a theater queen who will be able to give you suggestion after suggestion after suggestion for little known but potentially wonderful Broadway songs and scores. They'll love to help and you'll have a far wider range of options than PoTO, Les Miz, WSS, Disneyeverything. And give those poor overworked warhorses a much deserved rest!
    They could also listen to the girls from the Flutzes and Waxels podcast, who are HUGE musicals and Broadway nerds and have already been hinting that they will have the whole list of suggestions prepared at the end of this season :D

  3. #83
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,845

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaArdilla View Post
    They could also listen to the girls from the Flutzes and Waxels podcast, who are HUGE musicals and Broadway nerds and have already been hinting that they will have the whole list of suggestions prepared at the end of this season :D
    Theater queens cross all borders of gender and location and age and the like. I'd love to hear their suggestions.

  4. #84
    Tripping on the Podium elektra blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    724
    Country: Italy

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by oly2018 View Post
    Don't make me cry from the repetition before the season even starts
    i'll try my best but i can't promise you anything

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Methinks there will be lots of POTOs and Miserables....
    and chicago, don't forget chicago

  5. #85
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,389

    0 Not allowed!
    Do you think H/B can come in top 10?

  6. #86
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    26,074
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Here are the top total scores, following 4cc's and Europeans. I have removed teams that are definitely not going to Worlds. H/B do have a good chance for top ten, especially if they can hit more key points in the rhythm dance than they did at 4cc's. They are in the top 10 here.

    http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/pbsdto.htm



    Place Name Nat. Event Date (dd.mm.yyyy) Score
    1 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA ISU European Championships 2019 26.01.2019 217.98
    2 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA ISU Four Continents Championships 2019 10.02.2019 207.42
    3 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS ISU European Championships 2019 26.01.2019 206.41
    4 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA ISU Grand Prix Final 2018/19 08.12.2018 205.35
    5 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN ISU Four Continents Championships 2019 10.02.2019 203.93
    6 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN ISU Four Continents Championships 2019 10.02.2019 202.45
    7 Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS ISU Grand Prix Final 2018/19 08.12.2018 201.37
    8 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA ISU European Championships 2019 26.01.2019 199.84
    9 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA ISU Four Continents Championships 2019 10.02.2019 189.87
    10 Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN CAN ISU Four Continents Championships 2019 10.02.2019 186.91
    11 Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV POL ISU European Championships 2019 26.01.2019 185.35
    13 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON GBR ISU European Championships 2019 26.01.2019 182.05
    15 Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN ESP ISU European Championships 2019 26.01.2019 180.67
    17 Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC FRA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2018 27.10.2018 180.32
    19 Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ ESP ISU CS Finlandia Trophy Espoo 2018 07.10.2018 180.07
    26 Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN ISU Four Continents Championships 2019 10.02.2019 169.11
    27 Juulia TURKKILA / Matthias VERSLUIS FIN ISU European Championships 2019 26.01.2019 168.34
    32 Shari KOCH / Christian NÜCHTERN GER ISU CS Golden Spin of Zagreb 2018 08.12.2018 165.31

  7. #87
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,389

    0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. H/B are my faves I did prefer their choreography last year. But overall the move has been good for them, I think. I just hope for better choreography next year.

  8. #88
    The Notorious SEW ancientpeas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9,165
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    If it went purely according to scores Poland would be within a hairs breath of getting two places.

    I am really rooting for my disco brits and I actually have grown to love both P/C's RD (a first for me) and their Free(I have loved all of their free dances that I have seen). I really wish H/D would get a new free dance.

    Still not getting the C/B love but more power to them. I think they have improved this year and have better material. I do not forgive them for Imagine however.

  9. #89
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    26,074
    Country: United States of America

    6 Not allowed!
    The disco Brits and C/B have similar plusses in their FDs this year. Both teams project a sense of joy (and a good sense of timing) expressed in dance to music with a distinct upbeat flair... In today's ice dance world where there are so many almost beatless, lugubrious, tone poem-ish, emulations of P&C, both dances really stand out. Joy is infectious and rare. It invokes an overwhelming desire to reward it.

    I still shake my head, trying to figure out Hubbell & Donohue's choices this season. Why did a pair of former lovers, closer to 30 than to their teens, choose to dance to R&J? Why did the beautiful Madison choose a costume that looks more appropriate for Juliet's nurse than for Juliet? and if they felt compelled to act out R&J, why "Kissing You?".

    Perhaps they have fallen victim to the curse of silver. How do you stay motivated when you want that top step on the podium, but when there is a large score gap to it? What risks will you take? Both C/B and W/P, for example, fell victim to it in earlier seasons. Instead of moving up, attempts to make big changes, and/or to push too hard, caused them to fall in the standings instead for a while.

    W/P have a very good RD, but unreliable twizzles this season. I am not crazy about their FD, and it feels to me like another attempt to look like P&C.

    Meanwhile, Gilles & Poirier have a great FD, and are finally being recognized for it.

    And, the two Russian teams, powered by the fact that there is now no clear Russian number one, are moving up. All three teams (G/P, S/B, and S/K) have the virtue of not looking like Montreal based teams.

    It will be an interesting Worlds.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; Yesterday at 08:19 PM.

  10. #90
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,845

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The disco Brits and C/B have similar plusses in their FDs this year. Both teams project a sense of joy (and a good sense of timing) expressed in dance to music with a distinct upbeat flair... In today's ice dance world where there are so many almost beatless, lugubrious, tone poem-ish, emulations of P&C, both dances really stand out. Joy is infectious and rare. It invokes an overwhelming desire to reward it.

    I still shake my head, trying to figure out Hubbell & Donohue's choices this season. Why did a pair of former lovers, closer to 30 than to their teens, choose to dance to R&J? Why did the beautiful Madison choose a costume that looks more appropriate for Juliet's nurse than for Juliet? and if they felt compelled to act out R&J, why "Kissing You?".

    Perhaps they have fallen victim to the curse of silver. How do you stay motivated when you want that top step on the podium, but when there is a large score gap to it? What risks will you take? Both C/B and W/P, for example, fell victim to it in earlier seasons. Instead of moving up, attempts to make big changes, and/or to push too hard, caused them to fall in the standings instead for a while.

    W/P have a very good RD, but unreliable twizzles this season. I am not crazy about their FD, and it feels to me like another attempt to look like P&C.

    Meanwhile, Gilles & Poirier have a great FD, and are finally being recognized for it.

    And, the two Russian teams, powered by the fact that there is now no clear Russian number one, are moving up. All three teams (G/P, S/B, and S/P) have the virtue of not looking like Montreal based teams.

    It will be an interesting Worlds.
    Spot on. I love Sensitive White Guys with a guitar as much as the next emo nerd, but after this season I may spend the entire summer listening to nothing but punk and Irish folk songs.

    Funny but true: I put on an Easy Listening Station for my Mom to listen to -- the kind of station that makes Muzak sound like Heavy Metal -- and I can't tell you how many warhorses I've heard today on it. Right now it's Les Miz in Full Schmaltz Strings Mode.

    Still, it will be a very interesting Worlds.

  11. #91
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    26,074
    Country: United States of America

    3 Not allowed!
    Yes, Easy Listening.

    Instead of Irish folk or Punk, how about the combination of the two?

    It makes me yearn for someone to skate to the Dropkick Murphys:


    Perhaps
    Rose Tattoo
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw

    And

    Shipping Up to Boston
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw


    But definitely
    The Season's Upon Us for an EX at Christmas time
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

    It would be quite a palette cleanser after all the saccharin and schmaltz.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; Yesterday at 04:11 PM.

  12. #92
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,845

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Yes, Easy Listening.

    Instead of Irish folk or Punk, how about the combination of the two?

    It makes me yearn for someone to skate to the Dropkick Murphys:


    Perhaps
    Rose Tattoo
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw

    And

    Shipping Up to Boston
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw


    But definitely
    The Season's Upon Us for an EX at Christmas time
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

    It would be quite a palette cleanser after all the saccharin and schmaltz.
    LOVE Shipping Up to Boston.

    I'm also a huge huge huge Pogues fan and would love to see someone skate to Fairytale of New York, but I'm afraid just posting some of the lyrics here would get me a warning (!), so I can only imagine the reaction it would get from the ultra-staid world of ID judges.

  13. #93
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    26,074
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    I liked Fairytale of New York. Really, you would only have go cut out verse 6....

  14. #94
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,253

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    And, the two Russian teams, powered by the fact that there is now no clear Russian number one, are moving up. All three teams (G/P, S/B, and S/P) have the virtue of not looking like Montreal based teams.
    Who are S/P? S/K? I would say that the first half of S/K's FD is rather Montreal-esque, but the second half has a better climactic build than your average Montreal program. I still feel that it's lacking a sense of unity and clear point of view.

    I would add Guignard & Fabbri as having an FD program that stands out from the rest of the ice dance numbers this season. It is a character-based period piece and very successful at it.

  15. #95
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    26,074
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    That should be S/K

    Guignard & Fabbri have an RD that is memorable, with a stunning, acrobatic lift, but I cannot recall their FD at all at this time. I will have to go look at it again. La La Land
    Last edited by dorispulaski; Yesterday at 08:24 PM.

  16. #96
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    254

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientpeas View Post
    Still not getting the C/B love but more power to them. I think they have improved this year and have better material. I do not forgive them for Imagine however.
    I really don't get the hate for Imagine ... the singing may have been sappy but Dean's choreo was nice and they connected with the piece really well.

    I don't like the Elvis part of the new FD, too much posing for me. I like the Fever part.

  17. #97
    GS Supporter Scrufflet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    581

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    LOVE Shipping Up to Boston.

    I'm also a huge huge huge Pogues fan and would love to see someone skate to Fairytale of New York, but I'm afraid just posting some of the lyrics here would get me a warning (!), so I can only imagine the reaction it would get from the ultra-staid world of ID judges.
    Re Fairytale of New York: This Hour Has 22 Minutes (Canadian comedy show) did a funny spoof on it for their Christmas show this past year. Nothing to do with skating but you might enjoy it.

  18. #98
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,253

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    That should be S/K

    Guignard & Fabbri have an RD that is memorable, with a stunning, acrobatic lift, but I cannot recall their FD at all at this time. I will have to go look at it again. La La Land
    Yes, it's La La Land. It's the best; and I hope, the last for some while. If we are fortunate, it may save us from having 5 of them in the RD next year.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •