2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I agree. France will always have 3 spots just because P/C have placed in the top 2 at worlds every year since 2015 even though they have a weaker dance program overall compared to countries such as russia and even spain who have less spots.

They don't really have a weaker dance program than Spain at all actually. Maybe Russia. But Lauriault/Le Gac are the French #2, and they've scored right in the same range as H/K and S/D. They were only 4 points behind S/D at Euros. Also France only has 2 spots at Worlds this year. When you have 2-3 teams, the combined placements have to add up to 13 or less to get 3 spots. Top 2 only applies if there is only one team from the country.

Nirti

Medalist
Only in 2017 France used their 3 spots and in fact, both other teams were eliminated after the SD. Last year Lauriault/Le Gac finished 13th, which means 1+13 = 14 so only 2 spots this year.

This year there's especially frustrating not to see a 3rd russian pair or a 2nd spanish one... But 3 italian pairs, and with the retirement of Cappellini/Lanotte, it will be verry dificult for a 3rd to qualify for the FD.

The nonsense of this system is even more striking this year for the men : 2 spots for Uzbekistan, but after the retirement of Misha Ge, there's no senior skater anymore in this country... But only one for Italy which eliminates directly one of the top6 skaters at Euros.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I see it as a reward. Uzbekistan is an outlying case but usually after a retirement the lower skaters in that country know that they most likely will lose spots so the first year is a gift where everyone can get experience for the years after where they’ll have to fight with everyone else for spots.

Spain’s case is sad and I hope they can earn that second spot but it’ll be really tough to crack that top ten.

pesto

On the Ice
The nonsense of this system is even more striking this year for the men : 2 spots for Uzbekistan, but after the retirement of Misha Ge, there's no senior skater anymore in this country... But only one for Italy which eliminates directly one of the top6 skaters at Euros.

And the ladies - both France and Finland had two top 8 skaters in Euros, but have only one place at worlds.

Meanwhile, the pairs field is embarrassingly empty below the top few, yet decent pairs from Canada and the US can't go.

The qualification system does not seem to do its job of gathering the world's best skaters in one competition.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The qualification system does not seem to do its job of gathering the world's best skaters in one competition.

The system isn't designed to gather the world's best skaters in one competition. It's designed to ensure that, as far as possible, everyone in the world has the chance to send their best to one competition. And it's doing that job quite well.

DenissVFan

Medalist
The system isn't designed to gather the world's best skaters in one competition. It's designed to ensure that, as far as possible, everyone in the world has the chance to send their best to one competition. And it's doing that job quite well.

But some spots will simply go to waste (2 for Uzbekistan and 1 for Latvia in men and 1 for Belgium in ladies). At the moment these countries have 0-1 high level skaters in these disciplines and superfluous spots for this year, while France and Finland have two comparable skaters in ladies and Italy has two comparable skaters in men and only one spot each. Since every country can get one spot at Worlds provided that a skater has reached the minimum TES, redistributing these superfluous spots wouldn't hurt anyone. I'd rather see all of Mae, Laurine, Viveca, Emmi, Matteo and Daniel at Worlds than wasted spots.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Spain’s case is sad and I hope they can earn that second spot but it’ll be really tough to crack that top ten.
I am of two minds about this. I would also love for Spain to earn those two spots, so that we could see both Hurtado/Khaliavin and Smart/Diaz at next season's Worlds, and I really like H/K, but I also think that, if Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen are clean and get decent levels, they should be in that top 10 above H/K right now. So it's really tough. But we'll see.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd rather see all of Mae, Laurine, Viveca, Emmi, Matteo and Daniel at Worlds than wasted spots.

And I'd rather see a hard rule of one skater/team per federation per discipline no matter what, but we can't all get what we want...

readernick

Medalist
And I'd rather see a hard rule of one skater/team per federation per discipline no matter what, but we can't all get what we want...

May I ask why? I understand why the number is limited to 3. It is good for the sport if people from all over the world compete but I think it would be sad if countries like Japan in men’s and ladies, Russia in pairs, and the USA and Canada in ice dance only get one entry each. What is your reasoning? Please explain.

Andrea82

Medalist
Does anyone know what the pattern/rhythm is for the short dances in 2019/2020?

Musical/Operetta/Broadway theme for Rhythm Dance. The pattern should be skated on one of the following: quickstep, blues, march, polka or foxtrot.
Juniors will skate the Pattern on Tea Time Foxtrot

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I think it’s interesting to look at the SB list (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/pbsdto.htm) again now that Four Continents is over:

1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON - FRA EC2019 217.98

2. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES - USA 4CC2019 207.42

3. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN - RUS EC2019 206.41
———
4. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE - USA GPF 2018/19 205.35

5. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE - CAN 4CC2019 203.93

6. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER - CAN 4CC2019 202.45

7. Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV -RUS GPF 2018/19 201.37

8. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI - ITA EC2019 199.84

9. Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER - USA 4CC2019 189.87

10. Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN - CAN 4CC2019 186.91
————
11. Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV - POL EC2019 185.35

Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO - RUS GPF2018/19 184.37

12. Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON - GBR EC2019 182.05

Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS - USA CSGER2018 180.95

13. Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN - ESP EC2019 180.67

Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER - USA GPSA2018 180.57

14. Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC - FRA GPSC2018 180.32

Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO - USA CSEST2018 180.22

Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ - ESP CSFIN2018 180.07

Anastasia SKOPTCOVA / Kirill ALESHIN - RUS CSEST2018 179.78

15. Sofia EVDOKIMOVA / Egor BAZIN - RUS EC2019 175.62

Note I took out Juniors and italicised couples that (very likely) won’t be competing at worlds but left them in as a comparison.

I think it’s likely that Sinitsina & Katsalapov will be higher than 7th and Hubble & Donahue might take the bronze but otherwise I don’t think there will be much of a change in ranking.

It does make me wonder if Zagorskii & Guerrerio will be given a second chance and be sent to Worlds anyway since Evdokimova & Bazin’s SB only puts them 15th.

yuna13

On the Ice
Just read an article where zach d says that they want to challenge P/C. (like S/K before euros, we know how that turned out)
Dear zach, i think you should focus on saving your 2nd place.

Worlds will be so interesting, the panel of judges, the skating order, everything will matter. Russia didn't get a world medal in ice dance since 2013, we had france canada and usa, i think it will change.

Do we know who skate on the last group for the rd? any chance for piper and paul to skate in that last group ?

Bcash

Final Flight
Just read an article where zach d says that they want to challenge P/C. (like S/K before euros, we know how that turned out)
Dear zach, i think you should focus on saving your 2nd place.

Worlds will be so interesting, the panel of judges, the skating order, everything will matter. Russia didn't get a world medal in ice dance since 2013, we had france canada and usa, i think it will change.

Do we know who skate on the last group for the rd? any chance for piper and paul to skate in that last group ?

In their position, that’s the natural thing to say. You need to always aim higher anyway. You don’t hear teams say, we are trying to consolidate our second-place.

Both S/K and H/D’s mistakes were more of a freak accident. If you look at the FD score of S/K and the PCS for H/D it seems their ranking in the eyes of the judges hasn’t changed.

I would prefer to see two American teams on the podium at Worlds, but if S/K skate lights out, I’m okay with them taking a spot, because I do think they are strong and committed. S/B are a little too “fake” for me this season and her skating is just not as good.

I would prefer to see two American teams on the podium at Worlds, but if S/K skate lights out, I’m okay with them taking a spot, because I do think they are strong and committed.
I just wish H/D weren't a guarantee... Their FD makes them look like a pair of eels writhing against each other.

Bcash

Final Flight
I just wish H/D weren't a guarantee... Their FD makes them look like a pair of eels writhing against each other.

I agree their program was a misjudgement this season. And their “overperforming” is a result of them trying to make it work and make it into more than what it can be.

yuna13

On the Ice
In their position, that’s the natural thing to say. You need to always aim higher anyway. You don’t hear teams say, we are trying to consolidate our second-place.

Yes it's natural to say that but i'm tired of people targetting P/C.
It's seems to be the new thing, i don't remember people having that kind of speech last year with V/M and P/C.

Edit: Zach so called recipe to victory and to beat P/C is not even original, it's what V/M did last year.
1.Choose a mainstream music, theme to difference yourself from the french style.
2. The shape of the dance : first you have the tension and drama, then the romantic, classical piece and finally boom she dies.
Even V/M could not beat the french in the free with that and they think they can.

I don't mind P/C having competition, i loved the 2015-2016 cause we had fix you vs build a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.