2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Technically, they shouldn't use it as LLL has never been a Broadway musical.

At least yet.

I'm sure there's someone somewhere working on turning it into one!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the theme is actually "Musical, Operetta, Broadway", so LLL would be fine, as would the Greatest Showman and all other Hollywood musicals.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the theme is actually "Musical, Operetta, Broadway", so LLL would be fine, as would the Greatest Showman and all other Hollywood musicals.

Agreed. This is my assumption. I would assume there will be further communication and/or clarification by/at the week of Worlds.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

That depends on whether they've classified "musical" as just stage musicals or film/tv musicals as well.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I hope they cast as wide a net as possible. God knows the skaters are going to need the leeway if we want to survive the season.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Personally, I'm quite optimistic. There are simply loads of Broadway & musical numbers. Especially if people aren't foolish enough to dismiss every production created before or during the current decade. Bring on Gypsy and Showboat and South Pacific. And Rent and Little Shop of Horrors and Fame. Bring them all on. I hope teams will select something that is right for them. It's not like tango, where many athletes probably have no personal association with the genre outside of listening to their choreographer's CD collection. Most athletes will have some connection to musicals--from some era. And because it's the RD, some of these teams are going to put some effort into trying to select something we aren't likely to see from five other teams in the same season. We should really finally get the "entertainment" factor that the dance committee tried to encourage last season with the entertainment bonus that was promptly shot down. I am so tired of watching every team try to look ethereal, soft, and romantic. Bring on the character dancers, and let's see who can stop the show.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I hope they cast as wide a net as possible. God knows the skaters are going to need the leeway if we want to survive the season.

Given just how many musicals have been on Broadway over the years, an adventurous choreographer and coach and team wouldn't need to look elsewhere.

This site should tell you just how many there have been:

www.ibdb.com

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Given just how many musicals have been on Broadway over the years, an adventurous choreographer and coach and team wouldn't need to look elsewhere.

This site should tell you just how many there have been:

www.ibdb.com

The question is if there will be enough desire for individuality and selecting something that is maybe not well known/recognized, but fits into team's aesthetic/expression. The theme indeed gives a wide range of choices and opportunity to stand out. My hope is to see as much variety as possible, lots of catchy songs and dynamic aesthetic adapted, but I kinda suspect some teams will rather adapt something that is well-known & established in perception as a substitution of going more creative & challenging themselves. Instead they will challenge us with Les Mis/POTO sauce... ;)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Personally, I'm quite optimistic. There are simply loads of Broadway & musical numbers. Especially if people aren't foolish enough to dismiss every production created before or during the current decade. Bring on Gypsy and Showboat and South Pacific. And Rent and Little Shop of Horrors and Fame. Bring them all on. I hope teams will select something that is right for them. It's not like tango, where many athletes probably have no personal association with the genre outside of listening to their choreographer's CD collection. Most athletes will have some connection to musicals--from some era. And because it's the RD, some of these teams are going to put some effort into trying to select something we aren't likely to see from five other teams in the same season. We should really finally get the "entertainment" factor that the dance committee tried to encourage last season with the entertainment bonus that was promptly shot down. I am so tired of watching every team try to look ethereal, soft, and romantic. Bring on the character dancers, and let's see who can stop the show.

You rightly pointed 'entertainment' factor - for me, this RD format begs for going out & loud, manifest team in more exuberant way than this unspoken 'decorum' aesthetic we see kinda expected from the way judging goes. It is an opportunity to make a statement, almost like a FD inside of RD, quite open in terms of style and dynamic; I hope that teams will be encouraged & empowered to be 'showy', use this opportunity in full to maybe show us different side of them and different sides of entertainment.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I expect Gibson & Fear to excel in next year's RD. Exuberant and showy is their groove, for sure. :)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I expect Gibson & Fear to excel in next year's RD. Exuberant and showy is their groove, for sure. :)

Don’t get my hopes up! They have such a great opportunity next season. I just hope they get two GP slots to make the most of it.

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I also think this will suit Chock/Bates, Piper & Paul, and Hawayek & Baker - they do so well with Austin Powers exhibition. It may also work for McNamara /Carpenter.

Nirti

Medalist
Last chance to qualify to Worlds this week at the Open Ice Mall Cup. Finally only the estonian team Katerina Bunina & German Frolov are concerned, as the bulgarian Markova/Dazé were removed from the entries list. Bunina/Frolov need to score at least 31 points during the RD to be the 28th team qualified to Saitama. Good luck to them!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It's possible that Nazarova & Nikitin's performance at the Open Ice Mall Cup could get them to Worlds as well. They withdrew from Ukrainian Nationals. Popova & Byelikov won & were selected for Europeans; but as far as I've heard, Ukraine hasn't made a selection yet for which team will represent Ukraine at Worlds.

Nirti

Medalist
For the moment Popova/Byelikov are assigned to Junior Worlds, it's rare in ice dance to see skaters competing both in the senior and junior circuit. Maybe it would be better for them to focus on JW, where they have a serious top10 chance?

bramweld

Record Breaker
i love tango... however, my problem this year is not the music no the theme but the fact that everyone is trying to think too much at making some sort of original tango... when it's just all laid down for you : just dance please!!!! funny how so many teams bring tangos in FD and then really bring it, but when it's in RD.... it's just a schmeerango

Andrew Poje though. He's the tango man. :luv17:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
For the moment Popova/Byelikov are assigned to Junior Worlds, it's rare in ice dance to see skaters competing both in the senior and junior circuit. Maybe it would be better for them to focus on JW, where they have a serious top10 chance?

Nazarova & Nikitin did both Junior & Senior Worlds the year they moved up to seniors. And Popova & Byelikov have been competing both junior & senior programs not only this season but also last season. I think Ukraine may send whoever they think is the most competitive. I wish N&N the very best at the coming competition.

Lyssa

On the Ice
Country
France
Last chance to qualify to Worlds this week at the Open Ice Mall Cup. Finally only the estonian team Katerina Bunina & German Frolov are concerned, as the bulgarian Markova/Dazé were removed from the entries list. Bunina/Frolov need to score at least 31 points during the RD to be the 28th team qualified to Saitama. Good luck to them!

Check with 34,10 TES at the Open Ice Mall Cup :agree:

markovai

Rinkside

Daze got measles on the way back from Europeans, this is the reason they had to withdraw from Bavarian Open and Israel. Very unfortunate for them....

Status
Not open for further replies.