Thread: Rink climate, dealing with abrupt temperature changes etc

Aleksandra Trusova: Driving Quads, Jumping Quads Edwin's Avatar

0 Not allowed!

Rink climate, dealing with abrupt temperature changes etc

How do skaters deal with this?

Frequent temperature and humidity changes going from training gym to ice rink and back?

Are the better ice rinks climate controlled? The ice surface tends to dehydrate the air, too dry air makes your nose run, eyes water etc. Too much moisture dulls the ice.
    There must be reason for skaters to have a 'salfetnitsa' pluche toy tissuebox with them at all times.

。*:.*'<3

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I have such bad temperature/weather-sensitive rhinitis as a matter of course that I don't even notice a difference. It's just normal for me. I start sneezing in rapid succession or getting a runny nose just moving from one room to another in my house sometimes, to say nothing of an ice rink. I just blow my nose and move on.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    How do skaters deal with this?

Frequent temperature and humidity changes going from training gym to ice rink and back?

Are the better ice rinks climate controlled? The ice surface tends to dehydrate the air, too dry air makes your nose run, eyes water etc. Too much moisture dulls the ice.
    There must be reason for skaters to have a 'salfetnitsa' pluche toy tissuebox with them at all times.
    If the dry air really bothers you, you can use saline eye drops and saline nasal spray before you get on the ice. Just make sure to get the plain saline ones (plus a few other chemicals for preservatives and pH balance).

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Our rinks are climate controlled - otherwise, they would melt! My skater is fine until she is warmed up, then she needs tissues. The harder she works, the more her nose runs. But that is the same if you play in the snow. After 10 years of skating, there have been no ill effects.

"I took a chance to build a world of mine...." Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Layers.