Transgender Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Transgender Figure Skating

Idaxx

Spectator
So I want to start figure (I’m 13 years old and born female but now trying to pass as male, so i’m Ftm transgender). And I have some questions about being Transgender and doing figure skating.
1. (If I come so far to compete) Do I need to compete in the Female division because I haven’t legally changed my name and gender yet? And how will I hide my chest well? Since I haven’t had top surgery.
2. Will being transgender affect my journey and chance to compete?
It’s okay if you don’t know the answers.
(Sorry for my poor English)

loopy

Final Flight
I would get lessons and see how it goes before worrying about the future. My daughter's friend worried about it in her sport, but once she fully transitioned she had other interests and quit. Live in the moment doing what makes you happy.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
It may depend on your country and size of competition, but most lower level competitions have men and women together so it likely wouldn’t become an issue for a long time. I wouldn’t worry too much about it now.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
From a skating and test perspective, it shouldn't matter which gender you identify with. Most tests are gender neutral, except for dance and in most cases you can choose which dance steps you want to test, regardless of gender. Also, as treblemakerem mentioned, many lower level competitions have men and women competing together due to lack of numbers. Here in Canada, most boys end up competing with the girls at most competitions due to low numbers. It's not worth it for the competition organizers to run a whole event for one boy, so they get added to the girls' event.

concorde

Medalist
Also, as treblemakerem mentioned, many lower level competitions have men and women competing together due to lack of numbers. Here in Canada, most boys end up competing with the girls at most competitions due to low numbers. It's not worth it for the competition organizers to run a whole event for one boy, so they get added to the girls' event.

I think this depends entirely on where you are.

In the US, I do not believe at 13 you can compete as an "adult." At every US competition I have attended in the last ~10 years (DC metro area), there have been separate events for each gender at the non-adult levels.

I have signed in adult skaters at several different competitions and if I remember correctly, all of those had separate events for each gender.

gkelly

Record Breaker
From the 2018-19 US Figure Skating Rulebook:
3045 At nonqualifying competitions, if only one eligible competitor/team enters an event, the competitor/team will be offered the option to skate an exhibition or, for pre-juvenile and lower singles events, compete in an equivalent event against skaters of the opposite gender.

I can't quickly find a comparable rule for adult competitions, if there is one in the rulebook.
For most practical purposes related to nonqualifying competitions, pre-juvenile is equivalent to adult silver.

It is becoming more common for those levels to use IJS now, but in 6.0 events single-entry events are often canceled or redefined as exhibitions. I have seen both happen, as well as combining genders at lower levels.

For events that use IJS or an adapted version thereof at low levels, it's more likely for host clubs to permit single-entry events, since the IJS scores are more meaningful in isolation than straight first-place ordinals.

None of which answers the original poster's question if they're not in the US. In other federations also, it's possible that if a single skater signs up for a boy's or men's event that has no other competitors, they may be given the option competing in the girls'/ladies' event at the same level, and they may not be given the option to skate as a single entry.

VegMom

On the Ice
In the US, I do not believe at 13 you can compete as an "adult." At every US competition I have attended in the last ~10 years (DC metro area), there have been separate events for each gender at the non-adult levels.

My son skates and it's about 50/50 whether he will skate against boys or girls. From what I can tell, from my experience in the USA, is that they don't get super strict about separating the genders til the Juv level. We have been asked, 'Is it OK with him to skate against girls?' and we have actively sought out competitions that had more boys. This is all pre-puberty. Post-puberty seems to be always segregated by gender.

I think the main thing is how you identify when you register. For instance in the USA when you register with USFSA and get a skater ID number you must put down birthdate, gender, etc. From what I can tell, there are basically no restrictions for female-to-male transitions and there are some rules about male-to-female. So I think you're good to go! But also, if you're just starting skating, don't worry about competitions for a while. Just enjoy the skating.

This is a little old but I think it is still correct:
https://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Gender Policy Final.pdf

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Honestly check your nations regulations. I know many people said boys compete against girls but what was never the case for me. I have never competed against girls unless it was a fun competition or a mixed event which was almost never. Even if I was the only guy in the event i'd "compete" my self. The ultimate decision will be for the federation to give you the ruling and guidelines and stipulations. That shouldn't effect your chance at competing. You will be able to skate and compete but in which category, not totally sure. Just skate and enjoy it. Thats all that really matters.