a couple of questions about jump and spin | Golden Skate

a couple of questions about jump and spin

iceskating21

On the Ice
1. When my daughter does scratch spin, she often spins to one side instead of staying in the center. If she tries hard, she could stay in the center, but will spin more slowly. What's this reason?

2. Sorry I don't know how to call this spin. It starts from camel spin, then one hand stretches to grab the other blade. The leg and the arm are kind of at the same height instead of raising up like Biellman spin. Whatever you call it, when she starts from camel spin and gradually grabs one blade, she can not keep them at the same height. Her leg will has a upward angle instead of being flat. Her position is more like between that spin and Biellman spin. How to fix it?

3. When she does Axel, coach says her landing leg should be more straight. I can also tell that when she falls down, her landing leg is not straight at all. She said her legs were naturally bending toward each other when she was in the air. That's why she often fails. So how to improve it?

She has been struggling for a long time and I don't see how the coach can help. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Have you really inquired with the coach on how to fix these things and their suggestions? If not have you looked into possibly getting her a new coach that can fix these things?

Also, it's very hard to fix these technical issues if we cannot see it ourselves. Sorry.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I agree with Ic3Rabbit. Corrections are very hard without seeing the skill. A coach at the rink has a much better chance at helping.

If you've been with the same coach for awhile and your daughter isn't making improvements, it might be worth looking into working with someone else. This could mean finding a new coach and leaving your current one or staying with your current coach and also taking lessons from a second person. Some times it takes a different view point for things to click with a skater. It doesn't mean your coach isn't any good, it's just that everyone has different ways of teaching and some methods work better with a certain skater than others. My coach always sent me to someone else over the summers for a different perspective and it made a huge difference.