Advice on Skates | Golden Skate

Advice on Skates

Anya00

Rinkside
I'm an 18-year-old starting skating again (when I stopped, I was on forward crossovers) and would like to buy my own skates instead of using rentals. What level of skates should I be looking at if I want them to last a while? I have a Greek type foot, am around 5'2 or 5'3 and weigh 97. I've been looking at mainly Riedell and Risport because I had Riedell as a child but am open to other suggestions that might fit better.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
You should really go to a fitter as every foot is different and they will be better able to tell you what works for your foot shape and your level of skating and intended useage. Also, sometimes you don't know til you try them on what will work for you.

jf12

Final Flight
I'm an 18-year-old starting skating again (when I stopped, I was on forward crossovers) and would like to buy my own skates instead of using rentals. What level of skates should I be looking at if I want them to last a while? I have a Greek type foot, am around 5'2 or 5'3 and weigh 97. I've been looking at mainly Riedell and Risport because I had Riedell as a child but am open to other suggestions that might fit better.

What ever brand you go with, if you plan on taking group or private lessons get boots that are rated for singles - if you just plan on skating around for fun the better recreational boots should be ok.

Anya00

Rinkside
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be taking group lessons to start so a stiffness of around 40-45 wouldn’t be overbooting at all?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be taking group lessons to start so a stiffness of around 40-45 wouldn’t be overbooting at all?

The problem with stiffness ratings is that they don’t really mean much between brands. A Jackson boot with a stiffness of 40 might be much stiffer than a Risport boot with a stiffness of 40.

That being said - jf12’s advice to get a boot rated roughly for singles is spot on. That should be stiff enough to carry you through learning all of your basic skills, and up through at least one foot spins and half rotation jumps, but also not so stiff that you can’t break it in.

I’d also echo the advice to go get fitted. Riedell and Risport are both really nice boots, and I do think in general folks with narrower feet tend to find Riedell to be a better fit - but you never know til you try it on. Jacksons are great for quick customization (I got my Jackson Debuts heat molded and they fit super well!), and lots of folks swear Edeas are the most comfortable boot they’ve ever worn. Have fun trying on different brands and see what feels good!

I’ll admit I shied away from seeing a fitter at first because I thought I could get a better deal shopping online, but my fitter is very good about pricing and she actually beat the best price I saw online for my boots - not to mention she included all the customization work (heat molding, blade mounting and placement, etc) free of charge.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Definitely don't look for a boot that is going to be rated for anything higher than singles/axel. That will be stiff enough for you, and if you eventually do decide to progress to doubles, you will need new boots by then anyway.

Please go see a fitter whose expertise is working with figure skates so they can properly measure your feet and take outlines in order to get you the best fit, that is how you will decide what brand works the best for you.

Good luck! :)

Anya00

Rinkside
Hi guys, I went to see a fitter yesterday and he kept recommending I get the Risport Scott Hamiltons saying they would last through single jumps but I ended up getting the Risport Electra instead because I remember reading on a lot of websites that the Hamiltons were for recreational with 25 stiffness.They had a ton of Scott Hamiltons under the fitting bench (it was the only skate not in the back room) and kept recommending it so I was thinking maybe they were trying to get rid of them? (I could be really wrong though) Did I make the right decision or should I have gone with the Hamiltons?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I personally wouldn't have placed you in a Risport any lower than a RF3 Pro, esp if you are an adult that wants to have these boots for awhile.
Not going with the Scott Hamilton boot was a wise choice because those are rec level boots.

I would look for another fitter to go to next time, if there's one in area.

Anya00

Rinkside
Thank you Ic3Rabbit. The fitter kept telling me I was going against the suggestions of the shop and that even his boss recommended Hamilton’s so it’s reassuring to know I didn’t pick the wrong skates. I was also wondering if I need any waterproofing done or if the Electras come with waterproofing. The fitter didn’t mention anything about it but I want to make sure I take care of my skates.

2Axel

Rinkside
I personally wouldn't have placed you in a Risport any lower than a RF3 Pro, esp if you are an adult that wants to have these boots for awhile.
Not going with the Scott Hamilton boot was a wise choice because those are rec level boots.

I would look for another fitter to go to next time, if there's one in area.

I agree with this. :/

I think your suspicion that they wanted to sell excess stock is probably somewhat true. Admittedly, I had to google the Hamilton for an idea of what it was and that’s absolutely the wrong skate for an adult beginner. For a child in basic skills, maybe. An RF3 might be a little strong for you at the moment, but the Electra Lights would be perfect for now and prepare you well for the feeling of stiffer / higher rated boot like the RF3 in the future, should you continue to skate and progress. If you learn fundamental basics in very soft rec boots, you’ll almost have to relearn them when transitioning into a competitive boot and that’s really no fun!