ISU announces the death of John Coughlin

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
ISU Statement - Unexpected passing of John Coughlin

19 January 2019

Lausanne / Switzerland

We are shocked and saddened by the unexpected passing of John Coughlin, Chair of the ISU Athletes Commission and member of the ISU Single & Pair Skating Technical Committee. In the name of the ISU family, we herewith want to share our heartfelt condolences and kindest thoughts with John's family and friends in this time of sorrow.

https://isu.org/isu-news/news/145-n...ted-passing-of-john-coughlin?templateParam=15

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:sad21:

I had heard a couple of things suggesting this happened but didn’t see any actual News to confirm it. So sad and tragic :cry:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Everything about this is saddening and tragic.
It feels as if everybody caught in this circumstance loses.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
May he rest in peace. Prayers with their family and friends.

But also if something was wrong I hope the victims get the help and support they need.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
I’m hoping this is not true. I can’t find anything else on it. And if it is in light of the investigation I’m terrified it’s not from natural causes.

Personally I met him briefly a couple of times and he seemed very nice.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I’m hoping this is not true. I can’t find anything else on it. And if it is in light of the investigation I’m terrified it’s not from natural causes.

Apparently this cap is from his sister, I don´t think ISU will made an statement unless they were sure.

And yes it looks like suicide.

In case someone is triggered by this news, please use the prevention hotlines

ejnsofi

Final Flight

His sister confirmed death and suicide

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Shocking and said news. Rest in Peace John and my sympathy to his family and friends.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is so very sad. Condolences and prayers for his family and friends.

pandatours

On the Ice
His poor father and sister, I remember footage of them at Nationals after John and Caitlin skated Ave Maria in memory of his mother. It was very emotional...can’t imagine how they feel.

mrrice

Record Breaker
His poor father and sister, I remember footage of them at Nationals after John and Caitlin skated Ave Maria in memory of his mother. It was very emotional...can’t imagine how they feel.

I'm heart broken over this news. His family is in my prayers as I know they have dealt with tragedy before. RIP John. You will be missed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...sport/ar-BBSsffO?li=BBnbfcL&OCID=ansmsnnews11

2011 Nationals. I was in the audience for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXoLnJtzlDU