2019 Canadian Nats: Ladies FS | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nats: Ladies FS

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
acnews.jpg
Alaine Chartrand catapulted from fifth to first place to capture her second national title at the 2019 Canadian National Figure Skating Championships on Saturday. Aurora Cotop rose from sixth to second, while Véronik Mallet maintained third to earn the bronze.

More...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have never seen Alaine Chartrand skate with such confidence and ease of movement! "This season is for me." It's for us, too. :love:

Heartbroken for Daleman. She gave out but she didn't give up. One step at a time.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Alaine Chartrand finally delivered after struggling for the past few seasons. I have been rooting for her since she became the Canadian national champion three years ago. Her winning performance was really impressive. It seems that Brian Orser is no longer her coach, though.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Well, one good thing that came out of Nationals, is that Kaetlyn told Brian Williams that she is not retiring.Pribably it will be better next season. So don’t give up on the Canadian ladies yet.

There is no way Osmond goes until the next quadrennial...once she leaves there is no hope for the ladies...Anyways, Canada is now down to one spot for the ladies which is a complete disaster...which means Osmond might not even make the World team next year assuming she does compete....the only good thing about is it is that this year, a whole bunch of skaters either retired or skipped out which means potential chances for others, but that only applies in the other disciplines...Canada is only a contender in Dance this year...

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am so happy for Alaine, after seeing her struggle for so long watching her win was really great. I hope this helps restore her confidence in what she is capable of.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So happy for Alaine and her well deserved win!

But also so heartbroken for Gabby in what was obviously a struggle even with the good SP. Brave of her to compete though.

Oddly enough, this was kinda like Russian ladies nationals in that there was a favourite who was most pegged to win and then in a meltdown FS they ended up a rather shocking 5th. Hope Daleman and Zagitova can bounce back after their disappointing Nationals.

Too many gloomy guses (I had to look up the plural of gloomy gus) on this thread. Anyone who didn't enjoy Aurora Cotop's performance is just a grouchy Grinch. ;) Nice spring in her jumps, fine spins, good quality of movement.

Will she contend for the World Championship? Today she got the silver medal. Sufficient unto the day, and all that. :rock:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Well, one good thing that came out of Nationals, is that Kaetlyn told Brian Williams that she is not retiring.Pribably it will be better next season. So don’t give up on the Canadian ladies yet.

Hugs Millie, and welcome back!

kenboy123

On the Ice
I hope we see those stellar performances these ladies know how to deliver at Worlds. I'm sure Aurora Cotop or Veronik Mallet won't melt down like Alina Zagitova--they will certainly deliver!

Is this sarcasm???...

rain

Record Breaker
Too many gloomy guses (I had to look up the plural of gloomy gus) on this thread. Anyone who didn't enjoy Aurora Cotop's performance is just a grouchy Grinch. ;) Nice spring in her jumps, fine spins, good quality of movement.

Will she contend for the World Championship? Today she got the silver medal. Sufficient unto the day, and all that. :rock:

Yes, I was actually quite encouraged by a number of the younger skaters, like Cotop and Alison Schumaker (even if she didn't have the FS she was looking for). It's a bit of a rebuilding phase.

Ziotic

Medalist
Yes, I was actually quite encouraged by a number of the younger skaters, like Cotop and Alison Schumaker (even if she didn't have the FS she was looking for). It's a bit of a rebuilding phase.

I think both ladies are with coaches that can get them to where they need to get long term.

Aurora had a pretty serious injury and is just coming back so she should be proud of her performances, I’m hoping Ravi can build her up. Alison just needs a bit more consistency, she has done 7 triple programs before and has vastly improved skating skills from last year.

rain

Record Breaker
I think both ladies are with coaches that can get them to where they need to get long term.

Aurora had a pretty serious injury and is just coming back so she should be proud of her performances, I’m hoping Ravi can build her up. Alison just needs a bit more consistency, she has done 7 triple programs before and has vastly improved skating skills from last year.

Yes, I think the commentators said Aurora had a fracture in her pelvis in September and only started doing triples again in December. That's some amazing progress already.

aml78

Rinkside

I think people misunderstood this comment. She’s not yet announcing her retirement. It was not a confirmation that she’s definitely not going to at a future date. Smart way to avoid answering the question. She said she’s taking the year and will evaluate. She’s got shows planned through the spring. I think at that point she will see how into the idea of training she is and what other opportunities are in front of her. Seeing the state of Canadian ladies may have motivated her this week. But her challenge is can she hold up internationally. Kaetlyn seems very drawn to the idea of having a normal life. I’d be surprised if she makes a comeback. Hoping she does.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Like I suspected the bronze medalist at Canadian Nationals scored less than the last place at Russian Nationals. It does not look promising when we think of Canadian chances to repeat the team success of Korean Olympics. Aurora has to develop fast and stay injury free - for me so far she is the only long-term hope.

Ziotic

Medalist
Like I suspected the bronze medalist at Canadian Nationals scored less than the last place at Russian Nationals. It does not look promising when we think of Canadian chances to repeat the team success of Korean Olympics. Aurora has to develop fast and stay injury free - for me so far she is the only long-term hope.

I’m not worried! Four years ago everyone said the same thing! Plus let’s face it, all country’s have at least a shortfall in one if not two disciplines.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I’m not worried! Four years ago everyone said the same thing! Plus let’s face it, all country’s have at least a shortfall in one if not two disciplines.

Canada did not in Korea - Russia did not in Sochi. Even in Korea Russian chances would have been higher if Mikha had not gone for 4Lz.

I just think of who can it be there. And see no one but Aurora. Of course, Kaetlyn could be a joker if she comes back.

Ziotic

Medalist
Canada did not in Korea - Russia did not in Sochi. Even in Korea Russian chances would have been higher if Mikha had not gone for 4Lz.

I just think of who can it be there. And see no one but Aurora. Of course, Kaetlyn could be a joker if she comes back.

I was referring to if the team event was held this year. Every country has some less than ideal disciplines.

I would also say that for Canada in Korea (as much as I love Patrick) it could have gone differently if others hadn’t also skated poorly.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Wow, I didn’t know this year’s Nationals determined the selection for the Olympic team event. That’s a high-stakes competition!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

seems like those who think along those lines haven't learned their lessons....

third canadian girl last year didn't even get to the free skate in both olympics and worlds... that didn't prevent Canada from winning the team event, the bronze in ladies and then at worlds of winning the coveted ladies championship.... you need one skater, not 20 to be on the top of the podium... and you know, since you are taking us there... I faintly remember that the Russian #3 girl ended up 19th.

Canadian ladies has been the weaker discipline in Canada, traditionally at least. However, it was very encouraging to see the fight every girl had. It was an event of comebacks.... comeback to the top.. comeback from injury... etc... a few of our next gen girls skated senior : it is encouraging to see that some of them have already high quality elements.