Songs that stick in your head | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Songs that stick in your head

OniBan

Final Flight
This damn song from this group number T___T

https://youtu.be/nMNqzox1WGw

(I probably have watched this video more than what is healthy, so that may have contributed to the song never leaving my head but oh well :hopelessness:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Would you like me to translate the lyrics? The refrain is just "pick me pick me pick me up" on repeat though :laugh:

Thanks! What is the jist of the song?
Since I have no talent at this kind of dance and singing ability is nil, I am very impressed at what these young ladies are doing as well as the logistics of the program. Any backround info?"

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Thanks! What is the jist of the song?
Since I have no talent at this kind of dance and singing ability is nil, I am very impressed at what these young ladies are doing as well as the logistics of the program. Any backround info?"

It was the theme song for a survival idol talent show called Produce 101, the girls singing were the contestants (101 girls, yup, they went literal) and they were all idol trainees. The viewers ranked the girls with internet votes, the girls who didn't get enough votes for the cut got, well, cut, and the remaining 11 girls who survived the final debuted as a project group (stayed a team only for a year). The lyrics are basically this: We are star wanabees, we need your attention, PICK ME.

The Korean idol industry has tremendously high standards, except for a few rare cases you have to be at least moderately good at singing/rapping (if you can call it rap...) and dancing, be good-looking if not gorgeous, have a personality that can be shown on the screen, et cetera. You start training at least when you're in your teens (you're old in the idol industry if you're over 25) and stay a trainee for an average of 3-4 years until you finally get a chance to have your debut, if you're lucky. The show basically was the extremity of how brutal and harsh the industry is, was a massive hit, and spawned off two sequel shows. The show itself is a topic worthy of a culture studies/sociology thesis, and I'll have to stop here lest I start writing one. :laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It was the theme song for a survival idol talent show called Produce 101, the girls singing were the contestants (101 girls, yup, they went literal) and they were all idol trainees. The viewers ranked the girls with internet votes, the girls who didn't get enough votes for the cut got, well, cut, and the remaining 11 girls who survived the final debuted as a project group (stayed a team only for a year). The lyrics are basically this: We are star wanabees, we need your attention, PICK ME.

The Korean idol industry has tremendously high standards, except for a few rare cases you have to be at least moderately good at singing/rapping (if you can call it rap...) and dancing, be good-looking if not gorgeous, have a personality that can be shown on the screen, et cetera. You start training at least when you're in your teens (you're old in the idol industry if you're over 25) and stay a trainee for an average of 3-4 years until you finally get a chance to have your debut, if you're lucky. The show basically was the extremity of how brutal and harsh the industry is, was a massive hit, and spawned off two sequel shows. The show itself is a topic worthy of a culture studies/sociology thesis, and I'll have to stop here lest I start writing one. :laugh:

Thanks for taking the time! Great job. I will root loud for the Koreans at Four conts....:agree:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^ Oh no!! Did you have to remind me?:palmf:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ Oh no!! Did you have to remind me?:palmf:

I :love: that song! I was hoping that Todd would skate to it, & I got my wish. We've seen "Spamalot" three times (once on Broadway, twice on the National Tour)! :rofl: I am also delighted that Keegan Messing skated to it!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^Never saw the show :disapp: but remember singing that song years ago leaving a restaurant with a group of family and friends; we formed a chorus line and did high kicks..:palmf: had a bit too much wine..:dance3:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" - from "Spamalot" :biggrin:

Spamalot?! :shocked:

... SPAMALOT?! :jaw:

Why not the original?! As performed by the real Monty Python guys as the closing scene of "The Life Of Brian":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep9Vzb6R_58

:disapp:

Totally agree about it being a song that gets stuck in your head for ages after hearing it! :biggrin:

...just like it is with me now! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spamalot?! :shocked:

... SPAMALOT?! :jaw:

Why not the original?! As performed by the real Monty Python guys as the closing scene of "The Life Of Brian":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep9Vzb6R_58

:disapp:

Totally agree about it being a song that gets stuck in your head for ages after hearing it! :biggrin:

...just like it is with me now! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

We saw "Spamalot" on Broadway in 2006. Back then we weren't aware that the song came from the movie "The Life of Brian," which we rented on Netflix a few years later. That final scene, OMG! :rofl: While I :love: the song, the funniest song in the show (IMHO) is "You Won't Succeed on Broadway" (... if you don't have any Jews - :rofl: :rofl: ). We had no idea that a song like that was coming up in the show!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We saw "Spamalot" on Broadway in 2006. Back then we weren't aware that the song came from the movie "The Life of Brian," which we rented on Netflix a few years later. That final scene, OMG! :rofl: While I :love: the song, the funniest song in the show (IMHO) is "You Won't Succeed on Broadway" (... if you don't have any Jews - :rofl: :rofl: ). We had no idea that a song like that was coming up in the show!

You know, it is such a relief to hear you say that you found that song funny. When I read the lyrics, I was worried that Jewish people might be offended by it.

I haven't seen Spamalot myself, but I would like to some time.

Going back to way before my time, but this has to be one of the ultimate stick-in-your-head songs:

Perry Como - "Delaware"

I have no idea what put it in my head today, but it has been stuck there for quite a few hours already!

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know, it is such a relief to hear you say that you found that song funny. When I read the lyrics, I was worried that Jewish people might be offended by it.

I haven't seen Spamalot myself, but I would like to some time.

CaroLiza_fan

Well, we're Jewish, and we weren't offended by the song @ all (yeah, I know, I can't speak for everybody)! I hope you do get to see "Spamalot" some day!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And now for something completely different ...

"Gre-een Acres is the place for me!"

Oh nooo, now I'm doomed to sing that. But I will meet that and raise you:

"A horse is a horse, of course, of course....."

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And now for something completely different ...

"Gre-een Acres is the place for me!"

Never came across either programme or theme tune before. But, I can see how it could get stuck!

Oh nooo, now I'm doomed to sing that. But I will meet that and raise you:

"A horse is a horse, of course, of course....."

And no-one can talk to a horse, of course!

I am far too young to remember Mr. Ed, but I have known the first four lines of the theme song basically all my life!

Since we are onto TV themes, here is one that always gets stuck in my head. The videos of the original titles on YouTube left a lot to be desired, so I have linked to a much better quality full length version by the Prague Philharmonic Ochestra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjz6tNPyxZw

Why did they ever cancel that??? Either time!!! :mad:

CaroLiza_fan