New Ice Mom ISO advice | Golden Skate

New Ice Mom ISO advice

Hello all! I’m a mom to two young skaters with vastly different needs, and ISO advice.

1) My 4 year old seems to be really passionate about skating. He wants to be on the ice all the time. He is currently at Basic 2 Advanced (finished all the snow plows), very graceful and has a knack for it. He also takes ballet and tap, and I think he’d love ice dancing. How do I get him on that particular track? We live near an ice rink and we homeschool, so ample daytime practice is quite feasible. Also, how financially feasible would it be? We are not wealthy and I’m just curious about what kind of ballpark are we talking about.

2) My 6 year old, otoh, started out enthusiastic about skating but lately as things are getting harder, she gets very frustrated. Today she failed Basic 3 and she is devastated. I should note that she does NOT typically skate outside class times. Is it normal to fail Basic 3 if you don’t spend any extra time practicing outside of class? At this level, is it understood that skaters are supposed to practice outside of class? She thinks she is “very bad at skating”. She does seem to be the weakest in her class. Do I counsel her out of skating, or give it more of an effort and encourage extra practice?

Thank you all for any input!

twirlingblades

Medalist
Regarding #2, I am a coach and yes, I can tell which of my students in basic classes practice outside of class. I would recommend she practices. What skills in B3 did she fail? It’s hard to say if it’s “normal” to fail without practice because every kid is different. Does she have her own skates? 6 is also pretty young, so she might not pass every level the first time. B3 is where turns while moving are introduced and that can take a lot of muscle control that some kids are still learning.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
4-year-old: If he wants to take ice dancing lessons as well, by all means let him if you can afford it and he wants to, but don't push him down that path. He might be an excellent jumper as well and wind up a great "all-around skater", meaning he's very strong in technical and artistic components.

6-year-old: I think it's understood at any level that skaters are supposed to practice outside of class. She might just need better skates. And she definitely needs to practice. Ask her coach for advice.

Failing or passing certain levels very much depends on the individual. There will always be extremes on either end. On one end, some skaters will fail Basic 3 even with practice. On the other end, if I remember correctly after a couple of decades, I went directly into Basic 3 without ever having set foot on the ice before, and would have actually been placed in Basic 4 if I could do a moving two-foot turn. But in I-forgot-which next level, I ended up failing and being held back a week because I couldn't get the required spin.

Your daughter is most likely nowhere near either extreme. She probably just needs to practice. ;) Does she take ballet and tap, too? My mom signed me up for ballet practically as soon as I could walk, which I'm sure is a huge part of why I took to skating so quickly.

Thank you for the input! Yes she has Lake Placid skates, nothing fancy. Your input makes me feel better. She says she is “bad at skating” when it’s clear she just needs more practice than 45 min a week.

And yes she’s been taking ballet since age 3. I must add though that she has always been “clumsy” (diagnosed with gross motor delays and coordination problems), so frankly I’m amazed she can skate at all ��

hanyuufan5

Medalist
And yes she’s been taking ballet since age 3. I must add though that she has always been “clumsy” (diagnosed with gross motor delays and coordination problems), so frankly I’m amazed she can skate at all ��

Good news, comparatively speaking: I had/have motor delays and coordination problems, too. I couldn't even catch a ball when I was her age, and I still seem to be dead set on finding ever newer and more painful ways to walk into doorknobs in the house I've lived in almost my entire life. Yet somehow, I'm in Freeskate 1~2 and have a job that requires a whole lot of fine motor skills. (It didn't take me decades to get to Freeskate 1~2 or anything! I stopped skating for a long time.)

Motor skills/coordination problems usually come with muscle imbalances and posture problems. Is she in physical therapy? You might also want to check out this site: http://posturedirect.com/

Oh, that’s really encouraging! Yes she had pretty intensive PT in early childhood, but she was discharged at age 3 due to meeting her goals. She was considered “low average” at that time. She is ok in ballet but weak in gymnastics. Oh well..

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, that’s really encouraging! Yes she had pretty intensive PT in early childhood, but she was discharged at age 3 due to meeting her goals. She was considered “low average” at that time. She is ok in ballet but weak in gymnastics. Oh well..

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I'm going to let you know that I fall over myself half the time trying to walk lol and would be considered "clumsy" off skates. But on skates you would never know the difference and I'm former elite and now pro. I'm not going to say your child is headed for the Olympics or anything but you never know if she keeps going and pushing and working. It might be a concentration thing as well for her. If you need anything, my inbox is open.

If she is serious about skating, I would not recommend her staying in gymnastics because the muscles need to be worked and shaped differently for each sport.

Good luck to your daughter. :biggrin:

mishulyia

On the Ice
If she is serious about skating, I would not recommend her staying in gymnastics because the muscles need to be worked and shaped differently for each sport.

Good luck to your daughter. :biggrin:

Interesting! A fellow skate mom that has her daughter do gymnastics as well claimed that it would serve her well in figure skating because of the focus on building up core strength. Do you have any more information regarding the antagonism between gymnastics and figure skating training? In regards to ballet, I’ve often wondered if dancing en pointe was congruent to the the ankle strength needs in figure skating too. My girl is in ballet but still young, but if she wants to keep to it I know en pointe comes around at age 11-12.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Interesting! A fellow skate mom that has her daughter do gymnastics as well claimed that it would serve her well in figure skating because of the focus on building up core strength. Do you have any more information regarding the antagonism between gymnastics and figure skating training? In regards to ballet, I’ve often wondered if dancing en pointe was congruent to the the ankle strength needs in figure skating too. My girl is in ballet but still young, but if she wants to keep to it I know en pointe comes around at age 11-12.

Simply look at the body type formed by gymnastics training, and then look at figure skaters, it's vastly different muscle shapes and needs.
I'm all for dance and ballet as well as yoga and pilates, etc for figure skating off ice training.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me how different skaters' coordination can be on and off the ice. It's impossible to tell how clumsy someone is off-ice by watching them skate (or vice-versa). With the possible exception of someone with a PhD in physical therapy, no one would ever in a million years guess that I have motor skills problems from watching me on the ice, nor would anyone guess that I can skate from watching me trip over absolutely nothing and walk into tables.

Passion and hard work are far more important than off-ice coordination. :laugh:

I believe you totally, I just find this this so incredibly counter-intuitive. I mean, don’t you need some ability to balance in order to skate? See, my son is amazingly graceful on and off the ice. My daughter is definitely on tn clumsier side in everyday life but she does ok, (not fantastic) at skating, and she truly has a hard time with the balance beam. She is very slow and careful on the ice, which I don’t mind.

Either way, I’m so thankful for the positive input!

Thank you for insight! She is not “serious” about skating as far as anything other than recreation, I think. My goal for her is to have fun and polish her gross motor skills, balance, confidence, poise. Unlike my son, who just wants to be on the ice all day, she likes it but isn’t passionate. Very glad to know, however, that being uncoordinated in everyday life doesn’t preclude us from becoming decent recreational skaters :)

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan trained in gymnastics for a number of years - and competed at state level.

From an interview with his mom, Hetty Wang:
‘I feel like being involved in multiple sporting activities helps to develop other muscles and skills. Being in hockey, ballet and gymnastics helped Nathan learn skating skills faster on the ice. Gymnastics is great for young kids and helps them learn control and coordination, which translates well to skating.’

http://content.digitalpub.blue-soho...SKATING/html/index.html?page=46&origin=reader

VegMom

On the Ice
I think you should keep your kids in whatever sports they enjoy. If she likes gymnastics, keep doing it. A lot of figure skaters did gymnastics.

Yes, as others have said the main thing is practice. At this age and level it will probably be easiest for everyone to just get extra lessons. At our rink you can sign up to take the learn to skate sessions multiple times per week or you can add in private lessons. Either option will help get her more practice and help her progress more quickly. Just taking her to the rink though without a lesson and expecting her to practice on her own is probably too much to ask for her age and level.

You asked about costs. They really vary depending on where you live and what your goals are. You can search this forum for some threads on the topic. The costs just go up and up and up as the skill level goes up.

Here is my skater's math:
1-2 hours per day 4-5 days per week, freestyle sessions are $10 per hour = $80 - $200 per week
3 lessons per week, each are $40 = $120/week
multiply by 44 weeks per year (because everyone should take some weeks off for vacation and health)
= $8800 - $14080 per year

not including any fees related to competition like entry fees or costumes or travel
not including any equipment like skates (current pair cost $800) or clothing or pads or bags

One of the nice things about skating is that because it's an independent sport you don't have to pay your fees all at once at the beginning of the season like you would with many other sports. You can space it out more and you can cut back whenever you need to. If you can't afford to go to a certain competition, or practice tons or hire to expensive coach, you just don't.

Wow, what a price tag.

We are lucky to live 5 min away from an ice rink and can get cheap yearly public skating passes. Would that be saving us a lot of money, or is coaching only allowed during specially allotted (and pricey) practice times?

Another question - I have the opportunity to send the now 4, turning 5 in June DS to summer skating camp at that rink. (He’s the kid who loves skating:) Reasonably priced and offered for up to 10 weeks. There is a half day option. How much is too much? 3 weeks? 4 weeks? I don’t want to over demand from him.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wow, what a price tag.

We are lucky to live 5 min away from an ice rink and can get cheap yearly public skating passes. Would that be saving us a lot of money, or is coaching only allowed during specially allotted (and pricey) practice times?

Another question - I have the opportunity to send the now 4, turning 5 in June DS to summer skating camp at that rink. (He’s the kid who loves skating:) Reasonably priced and offered for up to 10 weeks. There is a half day option. How much is too much? 3 weeks? 4 weeks? I don’t want to over demand from him.

Your child should be ok doing the 3 or 4 week summer class.

Figure skating is a very expensive sport. The poster above is on the low end.

There are elite skating families including my own that have sacrificed alot to get us where were were/are. things like re-mortgaging house.

The reasons I’m pushing for ice dance are he does have this amazing innate grace and he loves to dance, and also mainly due to relatively lesser risk of injuries. It seems to be a good compromise:) plus I understand he’s be in high demand eventually, right? Not enough boys and all that.