Timeline | Golden Skate

Timeline

namratakantamneni

Spectator
Hello! I started skating about a year and half ago, skating on and off and just started pre-pre mitf before moving out for college. I am 18 now and am wondering how long it normally takes to pass pre-pre and if it's too late for me to enter figure skating since I am a bit older?

Hi, Namratakantamneni. Thanks for joining us, and welcome to the Golden Skate forum. :rock:

Ypou thread is being transferred to the "Lutz Corner" subforum where skaters congregate to exchange ideas about their own skating. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I started skating about a year and half ago, skating on and off and just started pre-pre mitf before moving out for college. I am 18 now and am wondering how long it normally takes to pass pre-pre and if it's too late for me to enter figure skating since I am a bit older?

Hello! It's never too late to start skating!

What are your goals? It would be easier to assess if we knew what those were.

gkelly

Record Breaker

How long it will take to pass the pre-pre MITF will depend on what your skill level was before you started working on the moves, how often you practice, how often you take lessons, the quality of the instruction you receive, etc. The amount of time it might take could vary widely.

There are plenty of ways for you to participate in figure skating in the US as a later starter. You won't be on track to become an elite competitor, but there are other kinds of competitions and activities you can participate in.

First, of course, would be moving through the test levels in Moves in the Field, and in freestyle and/or ice dance if you are interested.

If you want to compete in freestyle, there are often teens competing in the lower levels at nonqualifying competitions. If there are many skaters entered at the same level, the host club will usually divide them into groups by age.

Some other programs that may be available to you -- how conveniently will depend on what's popular near where you live:

high school skating
collegiate skating
intercollegiate team skating
Excel series
solo dance series
showcase/theatrical skating
theatre on ice
synchronized skating

After you turn 21 you would be able to participate in adult competitions.

jf12

Final Flight
Yes, it takes as long if not longer to develop as an ice dancer than as a freestyle skater.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
It's not too late at all to be competitive at lower levels, but people might try to pressure you into the adult track or synchro. If those appeal to you, go ahead. If they don't, ignore those people, it's your life, not theirs. ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's not too late at all, but people might try to pressure you into the adult track or synchro. If those appeal to you, go ahead. If they don't, ignore those people, it's your life, not theirs. ;)

No, the reality is that if they think they are going to compete eventually in the elite track of ice dance that they see on tv, it's not going to happen starting to skate at 18 or after, sorry. No reason to get their hopes up when it's unrealistic.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
No, the reality is that if they think they are going to compete eventually in the elite track of ice dance that they see on tv, it's not going to happen starting to skate at 18 or after, sorry. No reason to get their hopes up when it's unrealistic.

Edited the post to specify that it's not too late to be competitive at lower levels. I definitely didn't mean elite. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Edited the post to specify that it's not too late to be competitive at lower levels. I definitely didn't mean elite. :)

Yes, but how would that work exactly? There are age requirements and restrictions. juv is under 13 and intermediate is under 18.

They can do solo or adult track. That's about it.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Yes, but how would that work exactly? There are age requirements and restrictions. juv is under 13 and intermediate is under 18.

They can do solo or adult track. That's about it.

Can't they still do low level competitions if they make it to junior or senior?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Can't they still do low level competitions if they make it to junior or senior?

:hslap:
You're underestimating the steps it would take to make it even that far and to do it at 18 or after?!! It's not easy. And what low level competitions are you referring to?

hanyuufan5

Medalist
:hslap:
You're underestimating the steps it would take to make it even that far and to do it at 18 or after?!! It's not easy. And what low level competitions are you referring to?

I never said that it would be easy or even doable for any one skater in specific, just that it might be possible and if they really want to go for it, they should try. They can always change their mind if it takes too long or doesn't seem doable. I meant small local competitions and such.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I never said that it would be easy or even doable for any one skater in specific, just that it might be possible and if they really want to go for it, they should try. They can always change their mind if it takes too long or doesn't seem doable. I meant small local competitions and such.

The point was, the track you are trying to put them on and telling them to go on is literally impossible at their age.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
The point was, the track you are trying to put them on and telling them to go on is literally impossible at their age.

I wasn't trying to put them on any track, just saying that others might, and that the choice should in the end be up to them. My coach has mentioned small competitions that might be a possibility for some of us at my rink who are training for pre-pre. I don't know the details, since I don't consider myself anywhere near competitive at any level beyond a hydroblade contest, but I'm assuming she didn't mean adult competitions since she mentioned them to all of us, including the kids/teens.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm done here. I know the requirements and that it's literally impossible. I am not the only one that has stated this as fact.

They can skate adult or solo (the latter especially if they want to do dance).

treblemakerem

On the Ice
There's nothing wrong with competing as an adult. If you like to skate, then go for it. Low-level competitions have age limits so you won't be able to compete in regular competitions. I wouldn't consider any junior or senior competition "low-level" even a local competition. Junior/senior is the level and that is a high level that you won't be able to reach in a couple years. I personally am testing on the standard track as far as I can go. I haven't started competing yet, but when I do it will be adult competitions. It doesn't make any difference. If you want to push yourself to a higher standard in skating, you can. Tell your coach not to go easy on you. If you enjoy ice dance, then do ice dance. Don't do it because you think it will be easier. It's not, it's just hard in a different way. Yes it's too late to become an elite skater, but it's never too late to be successful and meet your goals in the sport.

jf12

Final Flight
I just want to mention that competing as an adult is no joke either - the top ‘championship’ levels as US adult nationals or international competitions in ice dance and freestyle are full of adult skaters who were ex competitors/elites and current coaches, there’s people who have been to worlds competing, it is certainly still a reach goal for most adult starters to be successful as an adult skater too. Not to discourage anyone since there are many lower levels to compete at as well, but tired of people saying adult track is less competitive to skating in tiny local youth competitions - they clearly haven’t skated at both.

gkelly

Record Breaker
There are no age limits for nonqualifying events below juvenile. If a twentysomething skater wants to enter a prepreliminary or preliminary or prejuvenile event there's no rule against it, if they've passed the necessary tests. They'll be in a group skating with teens and possibly younger kids.

If the skater can pass more tests and include more double jumps, open juvenile is an option. Or novice if they get that far.

This would only be advisable for a (probably young) athletic adult who advances more quickly in mastering double jumps than skating skills. For most later starters, adult competitions, and adult tests, would be more appropriate.

Expecting to reach a higher standard level than open juvenile is unrealistic. But starting with the standard track tests and nonqualifying standard lower competition levels would leave options open for a young adult ready to commit to skating many hours per week and take multiple lessons. Even getting to open juv would not be a casual hobby