Brilliant Skating that finished too low (Olympics edition!) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Brilliant Skating that finished too low (Olympics edition!)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
No one mentioned Delobel/Schoenfelder in 2006. Their 4th place was a joke.

What do you think they should have gotten? Aside from who ended up being the top 3, and all those falls in the OD, that ice dance comp. is fuzzy in my mind.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I feel like these type of threads are almost deliberatrly trying to bait Sochi arguments. Sigh.

Anyway...

I will forever argue Tonya Harding deserved Bronze in 1992. Had more judges (I think only one or two did) placed Kerrigan's god awful mess of a free in 5th where it deserved to be, she might have had it. Harding certainly deserved to go ahead on the free even if that wasn't enough to take the medal.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Of placements I disagreed with that few found controversial, I'd add 1994 G&G placing over M&D. G&G were amazing pairs skaters but, for me, they lacked the technical content and creativity of M&D. Had they not both been Russian pairs, I think there might have been more outrage over the result.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Kim @ 2014 Sochi. DUH.

Asada @ 2014 Sochi.

I only agree with Yuna Kim's magnificent Sochi performances that should've won. Asada was lucky enough to skate in the free whereas poor Lulu who didn't have such a luxury to skate in the free at 1997 Worlds although she was a World champion and a reigning World silver medalist (which also can enter debates) Asada's underroated jumps should've been called more and her final standing should've been lower. Though I felt relieved for her so-called comeback because the Japanese media's and netizen's brutal attacks against Asada's failure in the short were so spooky. The high-class official of Japan even denounced Asada, so with the comeback, she came back to Japan safely.

Aside from Kim and Asada, I think Gracie whose Sochi performances were a kind of being under appreciated (some have said her scores were skylocking in Sochi though) should've won the bronze.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I only agree with Yuna Kim's magnificent Sochi performances that should've won. Asada was lucky enough to skate in the free whereas poor Lulu who didn't have such a luxury to skate in the free at 1997 Worlds although she was a World champion and a reigning World silver medalist (which also can enter debates) Asada's underroated jumps should've been called more and her final standing should've been lower. Though I felt relieved for her so-called comeback because the Japanese media's and netizen's brutal attacks against Asada's failure in the short were so spooky. The high-class official of Japan even denounced Asada, so with the comeback, she came back to Japan safely.

Aside from Kim and Asada, I think Gracie whose Sochi performances were a kind of being under appreciated (some have said her scores were skylocking in Sochi though) should've won the bronze.

I don't understand it when people make the case for Gracie(or Mao) getting bronze.

I assume the imagined order would be:

1. Kim
2. Kostner
3. Gold/Asada

I'm sorry but where does that leave Adelina?
I understand many people do not agree she should have won but shuffling her off the podium completely is nothing more than bitterness and totally unfair, she skated two fantastic performances. Her LP was not perfect but Gracie FELL in hers! Mao wrecked her chances with her bombed SP, she deserved a good LP placement but to give her a score enough to medal would make a mockery out of having two separate programs in the first place.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
This thread should be renamed, LIZ. How dare she attempt to foil a legacy. Katarina was going to win regardless of her limited technical abilities, whether some liked it or not. For those who were not there or unaware, the judges were very vocal about Kat's outfits even suggesting more feathers for her sp. Coach Mueller attempted to break the rules at every opportunity but was confused by Liz Manley, or a competitor with natural ability versus the way things should be. For the record, 7 of 9 judges selecting Liz as first after the LP, yet she finished in 2nd place.

But hey, it was the 80's and shoulder pads, big hair, flare, and 'the boss' ruled.

For the record, 7 of 10 judges selecting Liz as first after the LP, yet she finished in 2nd place.

I think you mean 7 out of 9. :)

Anyway, Liz was the clear winner of the LP, all judges concurring except Russia and East Germany. But was she robbed of the overall gold?

The reason she finished second instead of first, despite her marvelous LP, is that she was only 4th in figures and 3rd in the SP. This put her too far behind under factored ordinal scoring (30% for figures, 20% for SP and 50% for LP).

Last edited:

StephenGfan

Final Flight
-Johnny weir was too low in vancouver and had some great performances
- Javi's FS in PC was more silver medal worthy compared to Shoma's
- Chen lu in 1996 and 1994 worlds, talk about robbed
- V/M were robbed of so many gpf final titles and world titles its nuts

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I've always believed that Javi should have got the silver in 2018, wasn't quite good enough for gold as Hanyu rightfully won, but he was much better than Shoma.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
Since someone mentioned Sochi :) I feel an urge to remind that none of this bickering would exist, if it wasn‘t for the silly novelty „team competition“, which led to Yulia leaving her soul out there, burning out, and letting the individual competition turn into a disaster and neverending bitterness. Sorry, but there was bright light and thunder there and it was called Yulia. The rest is insignificant!

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Since someone mentioned Sochi :) I feel an urge to remind that none of this bickering would exist, if it wasn‘t for the silly novelty „team competition“, which led to Yulia leaving her soul out there, burning out, and letting the individual competition turn into a disaster and neverending bitterness. Sorry, but there was bright light and thunder there and it was called Yulia. The rest is insignificant!

Well, you could also say it wouldn't have happened if the Russian Fed hasn't snubbed Adelina and allowed her to skate one of the Team programs instead of Julia doing both.

That fired Adelina's cylinders to end up giving her the two best performances of her career, no matter what placement people believe she should have ended up in.