Brilliant Skating that finished too low (Olympics edition!) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Brilliant Skating that finished too low (Olympics edition!)

rlopen

On the Ice
Let's not cause trouble by reopening this can of worms. :laugh2: Not that I'm biased or anything. :dev2:

I honestly do not think the 1994 was a controversial result. It was not 5-4 or 6--3 even. There are preferences on both sides but that alone does not make something controversial. I think the judges made a call based on the speed, size of the elements, difficulty of the program etc. that gave G/G a small cushion. I don't fault them for that. G/G needed a fall to lose that gold.

This is neither here nor there, but I think this is exactly what should have happened in 2002. B/S should have had their G/G skating skills/tougher program cushion and still won in a 7-2 or 8-1 vote.

I liked G&G but M&D were just better during that event. Everyone and their mother loved G&G though so I really think unless they had like 3 falls would they have not gotten the gold.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
In 1994 I think that G&G really benefited from extremely strong Pair elements and generally very high quality skating, Sergei’s SBS wobbles aside. M/D were great but they couldn’t match G&G in that respect. M/D did go for harder tricks, and got the SBS jumps, but I always get the impression rewatching them that they bit off more than they could chew with that program. A good example of it is near the very end where they try to do this transitional move with him very low and her balancing on him. Very difficult and cool, but also awkwardly done and musically pointless, and it completely threw him off going into their ending steps. And there were several smaller moments like that scattered throughout their skate.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I liked G&G but M&D were just better during that event. Everyone and their mother loved G&G though so I really think unless they had like 3 falls would they have not gotten the gold.

I do not think this is about liking or loving: ultimately we have to look at the blades and get the overall impression. Saying M&D were just better doesn't say much. They performed their content cleaner but that's not the only going on in skating. We have to look at the speed, the elements, etc.

Again, I think arguments can be made for M&D but they were not robbed and there was no controversy. To me even though they were less clean, they were more magical in 1992. Fortunately both teams were from the same country so no one can make 1994 about nationalism.