Brilliant Skating that finished too low (Olympics edition!) | Golden Skate

Brilliant Skating that finished too low (Olympics edition!)

Well, the thread title is descriptive enough, so let's just start.

1988: Midori Ito

The technical quality was so far beyond anyone else's. Figures were political anyway, and Asian skaters of this era (and partly even now at times) were held down. Hardly matters where she finished there.

SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl3PelmX05M

The 2A there, IMO, represents a lot of what is missing in skating today. She actually JUMPS it, but ignoring that, just imagine sitting in front of a small TV set in 1988, the music building, and then she jumps right over your head out of nowhere, right to the beat. Amazing. She set two benchmarks with the 2Lo+3Lo and that 2A, I don't think anyone's done a +3Lo or a 2A better than those.

LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyu8GYBRIjE

People might diss her "artistry" here, but she actually presents a clear, engaging view of herself and the music. And those jumps are just a commanding statement, her technical mastery deserved to fetch her the win here.

2006: Matt Savoie

LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naDdt4vKtUI

The choreography and interpretation of the music here is so great, and for all the talk of transitions now, he's doing some hard ones there. It's a joke his PCS was as low as it was, he easily deserved the highest PCS of the night. He did blow it a little in the SP, but I think he should have finished third.

2010: Takahiko Kozuka

SP: https://youtu.be/ZqbQpiriYCU?t=10686
LP: https://youtu.be/exEJ_GaDJI0?t=6583

2009-10 was a weird season in terms of programs, there wasn't any that was "great", but Kozuka's set of programs actually did help him present a clear view of himself, with pretty sweet music choices to boot. He wasn't the best performer, but the interpretation and skating skill showcased were better than almost everyone's at this particular competition. It's a travesty his PCS was placed below Lambiel, Plushenko, and especially Lysacek's.

This was definitely a joke result. Should've been second.

What are your examples? It doesn't just have to be the Olympics.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I thought the overall gaps should have been around 2 points between the top 3 that night :slink: instead of the 10+ point lead people say SiTC deserved.

I don't necessarily disagree! 10+ is honestly laughable even with the skating order as an excuse. I loved Adelina's Habanera. When I think of her, I remember how it looked like she could've chopped melons with those illusion spins and sigh because no one else does them that well. Putting the top 3 all at 74 felt artificial though. Truthfully, I think they all would've gotten a boost if Yuna had skated first in the last group, but I think it could've gone up to a 3 point gap.

I don't necessarily disagree! 10+ is honestly laughable even with the skating order as an excuse. I loved Adelina's Habanera. When I think of her, I remember how it looked like she could've chopped melons with those illusion spins and sigh because no one else does them that well. Putting the top 3 all at 74 felt artificial though. Truthfully, I think they all would've gotten a boost if Yuna had skated first in the last group, but I think it could've gone up to a 3 point gap.

I agree! I had them in the ballpark of 68-70. And Adelina had great jumps and spins in the SP and showed a fresh performance, even though her footwork looked like it was botched here (and in the LP, but per request... :laugh:).

rlopen

On the Ice
Mao at Sochi. She gave easily the best free skate of the night. Not saying she deserved to medal, but she should have been higher than at least Yulia and maybe Gracie.

And...how about instead of Sochi Yuna v Adelina controversy I raise you another controversy? Michelle at Nagano. Anyone who had Tara tied with her on the Presentation mark...you really need your eyes checked.

Also Mishkutionok and Dmitriev at Lillehammer.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I always think of duchesnays in 1988 because they were ranked 4th through 10th so that means something!!! That means what they did struck some as so brilliant and others as violating all the rules!! It was so unique! Is that brilliance?!? It’s something!!

GGFan

Record Breaker
Midori and Matt Savoie are the two examples that come to mind and that has already been covered.

This is not nearly as glaring but in 1994 I would have put Kurt in first in the free. Everyone made small mistakes and I thought his program was far superior to the two that were placed in front of his.

ETA: In 1988 I would have put Caryn Kadavy in the top three in the short (she finished 5th). I know she eventually withdrew, but she did not get enough props for the quality of her skating.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Does Slutskaya’s short in 2002 count (with all the subsequent implications that has on the medals) or has consensus opinion gravitated toward Irina winning the short and therefore the gold?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Sochi: As a die-hard Yuna fan, I think it was a close battle between her and Carolina for gold (I honestly have no preference between the two in this case), with Adelina in third. There. I said it.
Pyeongchang: Javier should have gotten silver, imo.

Does Slutskaya’s short in 2002 count (with all the subsequent implications that has on the medals) or has consensus opinion gravitated toward Irina winning the short and therefore the gold?

I now believe the result should have been 1. Hughes 2. Kwan 3. Cohen. So... eh?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist

I agree that Irina should have been higher in the SP, but I don't think that this necessarily means she would have won gold. Michelle's best skates often came when she was behind after the SP (think Worlds in 2000 and 2001, for example)

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Of all the Sochi performances, I rewatch Mao’s free skate the most - she should’ve placed higher imo!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Pyeongchang: Javier should have gotten silver, imo.

Seconded.

I also would have had Michelle in first in Nagano but even just typing that seems like beating a dead horse. The Duchesnays were also shortchanged because well...ice dance.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This is not nearly as glaring but in 1994 I would have put Kurt in first in the free. Everyone made small mistakes and I thought his program was far superior to the two that were placed in front of his.

I agree. I think he and Victor had overall superior performances compared to the medalists. Maybe the judges wanted to reward the SP leaders for not bombing that part of the competition.