Was there ever skater in colored/black tights? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Was there ever skater in colored/black tights?

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
They need to get rid of the sexist rules concerning what skaters can wear ASAP, but sadly I don't think anyone in the ISU cares. There's many a time I've watched a female skater's program and thought a damn pair of pants would fit the song/program better than a random dress that's there bc it has to be there (yes I know about bodysuits and mostly hate them).

ribbit

On the Ice
They need to get rid of the sexist rules concerning what skaters can wear ASAP, but sadly I don't think anyone in the ISU cares. There's many a time I've watched a female skater's program and thought a damn pair of pants would fit the song/program better than a random dress that's there bc it has to be there (yes I know about bodysuits and mostly hate them).

Did you catch Ivett Toth's costume for her AC/DC short program last year? I suppose technically she was wearing a unitard, but I thought her costume designer did an extremely effective job of making her look as if she was wearing tight-fitting pants.

gkelly

Record Breaker

The ISU did change the clothing rules several years ago, getting rid of all mentions of skirts except for ice dance.

The current clothing rule reads
Rule 501 Clothing

1. At ISU Championships, the Olympic Winter Games and International Competitions, the clothing of the Competitors must be modest, dignified and appropriate for athletic competition – not garish or theatrical in design. Clothing may, however, reflect the character of the music chosen. The clothing must not give the effect of excessive nudity inappropriate for the discipline. Men must wear full length trousers. In addition, in Ice Dance, Ladies must wear a skirt. Accessories and props are not permitted. Clothing that does not adhere to these guidelines will be penalized by a deduction (see Rule 353, paragraph 1.n). For Ice Dance, exceptions to the restrictions may be announced by the IDTC if appropriate to the Rhythms selected for the Rhythm Dance. 2. The decorations on costumes must be non-detachable. Part of the costume or decoration falling on the ice will be penalized by a deduction (see Rule 353, paragraph 1.n).

So it would be perfectly legal now for women to wear trousers for freestyle or pairs. My guess is that the reason they don't is that tight-fitting unitards or leggings (common in practice clothing) feel more aerodynamic and athletic than anything that looks like streetwear trousers. (And a wide leg like yoga pants or jazz pants would be a hazard for getting the blade caught inside.)

Something moderately close fitting around the ankle and equipped with a strap under the skate to hold it down, like many of the men wear, would be an option.

Plus tradition and a desire to keep up with recent trends probably causes most female skaters to want to wear sparkly dresses.

But for any who choose otherwise, it's no longer rules preventing them from making other choices.

Ducky

On the Ice
But starr’s mom said it. I don’t have a link to the tweet, but she said that they have trouble finding tights in her skin tone. I don’t know where or how they got the tights she has when wearing dresses, you’re right about that.

There’s a reason Starr always wears those unflattering bodysuits.

I love Starr's bodysuits. So sleek.

But it could be a supply and demand thing: with Figure Skating in Harlem and Detroit getting more African American women into figure skating places like Mondor might have been adding more tight shades recently. So when Starr first started skating it was hard to find tights that were even decent approximation of her skin tone but now it's easier.

(Although skating tights are the worst when it comes to finding a decent match: sell more shades!)

And yes, the cosmetics industry has finally started to note that African American women have different skin tones, although it's still frustrating to see an entire aisle of ivory/beige/porcelain foundations at my drug store in a predominately African American/Caribbean neighborhood because if Walgreens won't even switch out their set formula for a minority majority neighborhood it must be downright dismal in other parts of the country.

ordinary person

On the Ice
Did I understand the question correctly? I thought there are plenty of examples.
Adelina Sotnikova's red tights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AzE8fHJ8SA
Kanako Murakami https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc6ok8V_elc

On the contrary. If we look at the previous competitions such as Nationals, Europeans or Four Continents i'd say it's highly unlikely there are plenty, if any at all. Then there's the fact in a thread regarding colored/black tights, most people talk about pants, catsuits, bodysuits or a different shade of skin tone instead. That doesn't really help the OP.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don’t care about the colour of tights, really, but I do quite like the nude tights look since it enhances lines and give skaters “nothing to hide” so to speak.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I seem to remember that Surya Bonaly had that issue. Didn't she wear ordinary pantyhose sometimes instead because of it? Thankfully, times have moved on since then though! Starr definitely wears tights, including with that gorgeous champagne-coloured frock she has for her SP this season.

IIRC Surya usually wore nothing on her legs when her costume didn't include tights. When she did this, she sometimes put panty hose over her boots to give the impression she was wearing tights. (See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJ4FOy9yVY)

Speaking of Surya, she pulled off this look in tights really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwlThF8tQz8

ordinary person

On the Ice
I don’t care about the colour of tights, really, but I do quite like the nude tights look since it enhances lines and give skaters “nothing to hide” so to speak.

That's perfectly understandable, however i do find it a bit odd why you'd think skaters wearing colored tights are hiding something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbbJxQMJMnk&index=25&t=0s&list=PLjxV856l8CnYqRQRz4Vll0E7Ag6c9EV3u

The link above is of one the best examples why it's not about hiding something.
The most common reason why this skater's wearing black tights is because her green dress paired with her black tights resembles an Irish Dancer hence the music she's skating to.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
at cup of tyrol in her fs laurine lecavalier was wearing black tights ;)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Colored tights alert. Half of first pair in the JWC SP skated in sheer black tights. It was Vivienne Contarino if you want to look her up by name.