2019 U.S. Nats: Ladies' SP | Golden Skate

2019 U.S. Nats: Ladies' SP

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
btf.jpg

Bradie Tennell is the only lady in the field at the 2019 Geico U.S. Figure Skating Championships who has a national title on her resume, and after scoring 76.60 points to lead after the short program on Thursday in Detroit, Mich., she is in position to defend her crown.
"It's a little bit different," said Tennell of the change from her breakout role last season. "All the young skaters all know me now. The atmosphere is different, and the pressure was different last year because there was more at stake. I love it; I just go out and focus on myself and what I need to do. I went out there and did what I do every day. I just enjoyed my performance. There wasn't much thinking involved, I just go on autopilot and enjoy it."

More...

Lotsa' young'uns in this event! What are your thoughts on the Ladies' SP?

1. Bradie Tennell 76.60
2. Alysa Liu 73.89
3. Mariah Bell 70.30
4. Amber Glenn 69.86

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hanna Harrell must skate in a building with really high ceilings!!!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I feel like there was supposed to be a different final flight of skaters but it got cancelled.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Life is about expectations and mine were very low coming into this short program. Hence they were exceeded. I really enjoyed chatting with everyone on the comp thread. The Canadian crew was fun as always.

Bradie is much improved, Mariah looks more confident, Amber finally went clean and Alyssa landed her axel. Not much more I could ask for given that we're not a top country in the ladies anymore.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As disappointing as Ting was in terms of scoring, her poise and attention to detail is on a world class level. I enjoyed her program as much as anyone.

Amber though....that was a special moment that we won’t soon forget. I hope she’s ready to go in the FP. That would be nice to see! She’s right in the thick of things.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Highlight for me was Alysa. She brought the joy into her performance, even though she was nervous, and attacked her content. She's bringing new enthusiasm into US figure skating, and I can't wait to watch her tonight :love:

Also really enjoyed Bradie - she was really on top of her game, a deserved lead. Never seen her skate that crisp and clean before, it was really something :luv17:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Emmy Ma's short program. That was what she should have delivered last year---but I believe she was sick then, as were many of the skaters and a good proportion of the audience as well, including myself. There was a vicious bug making its rounds in San Jose 2018!

And yes, Bradie was amazing. That's her best SP performance so far this year.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed the top performances (the only ones I've seen thus far). For the first time I really liked Bradie! Wow! She was gutsy, strong, powerful and the music choice was terrific. Whenever senior skaters select a Disney type program (I don't mind for the younger ones), I have to head for the fridge and return when its over. Just my personal thing. US, you don't need to worry about the future for your ladies. You are right on track!

Bradie gave a dominant and masterful performance.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole competition, all up and down the roster. To me, this is appropriate to the conversation about age limits. Come one, come all. Do what you can do and let the others do what they can do. If you can do a triple Axel, do a triple Axel. If you can melt the stoniest heart, like Emma Ma, go for it. If it's your first trip to senior nationals and your combo is a 3S+2T, incorporate it into a complete and satisfying program.

For all that we gripe about the ISU scoring system, it does give us the ability to recognize and reward a delightful smorgasbord of skills and talent. :clap: :clap: :clap:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Emmy Ma. Was very sad for Hannah Miller. I had higher hopes for her.