CTE brain injuries and Figure Skating | Golden Skate

CTE brain injuries and Figure Skating

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Does anyone know of personal stories regarding long-term brain damage from the spinning nature of figure skating? I recently saw a documentary on NFL CTE caused by prolonged concussions. Mild CTE caused suicide, mood fluctuations, and lead to early dementia. Although Figure Skater's are not subjected to as severe concussion as NFL players, I imagine that the speed and the number of spins a figure skater performs in his or her career can result in brain damage. What are your thoughts on this?

sillylionlove29

Rinkside
Lucinda Ruh wrote a book and talked about the effects spinning had on her head. I don’t remember exactly what she said but it’s a reason why she can’t spin so much anymore if at all.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would imagine hitting your head on the ice could lead to severe concussion.

Figure skating in the USA generates about one one thousandth of the funds (if that) that the NFL does. And one one thousandth of the interest. Without the money or interest to fund studies, I am afraid they will not be done. A shame :shrug:

ETA: although I am glad to see skaters like Jean Luc Baker and Ashley Cain following the concussion protocol, even if it means limiting practices or competitions.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OP:
There was a whole raging thread months ago regarding brain injuries and concussions and figure skating. You can go search that forum for it and you'll get many of your answers.

labgoat

Updating rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Scott Davis have vertigo problems from his exceptional spins?

Somewhat off-topic, but how is it possible for skaters to spin and not get dizzy without spotting? I remember a couple of decades ago quite a bit was made of Kevin Van Der Perren for being the only elite skater who spotted his spins. (?)

Edit -- Wait. That can't be right. Skaters spin too fast to spot, right? It must have been his rotational jumps.

For a spin, I imagine a skater just has to get used to certrifugal force pushing their brains up against the inside of their skulls all the way around, presumably thinning out in the middle?

Last edited:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Somewhat off-topic, but how is it possible for skaters to spin and not get dizzy without spotting? I remember a couple of decades ago quite a bit was made of Kevin Van Der Perren for being the only elite skater who spotted his spins. (?)

Edit -- Wait. That can't be right. Skaters spin too fast to spot, right? It must have been his rotational jumps.

For a spin, I imagine a skater just has to get used to certrifugal force pushing their brains up against the inside of their skulls all the way around, presumably thinning out in the middle?

I find the biggest thing that makes me dizzy when I spin is trying to focus on things with my eyes. As soon as I stop doing that, I don't really get dizzy.

I vaguely remember reading a study about figure skaters' brains being wired differently than other people which allowed them to spin fast without getting dizzy. It's not clear if this can be learned, or if it's a mutation that some people are born with.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

As silver.blades said, we're all mutants. ;) :laugh:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I vaguely remember reading a study about figure skaters' brains being wired differently than other people which allowed them to spin fast without getting dizzy. It's not clear if this can be learned, or if it's a mutation that some people are born with.

I remember reading something similar, but about ballet dancers and gymnasts - that by starting very young and learning spin/pirouette technique early, they effectively retrain their brains to manage the sensations and keep their balance. It makes total sense that figure skaters would have the same thing going on. Neuroplasticity is a wonderful thing!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist

I'm not sure if it's like this for everyone, but I know that for me, it really, really doesn't feel like as many revolutions as it is. I usually guess at least 2-4 fewer than I actually did.

That's not to say that I don't get dizzy, though. :laugh:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I remember reading something similar, but about ballet dancers and gymnasts - that by starting very young and learning spin/pirouette technique early, they effectively retrain their brains to manage the sensations and keep their balance. It makes total sense that figure skaters would have the same thing going on. Neuroplasticity is a wonderful thing!
I think you can't really compare figure skaters to dancers and gymnasts doing spins. Figure skaters do significantly more rotations.

I remember seeing a short documentary were Lucinda Ruh did the most spin rotations ever. I think she said, that she gets dizzy, but that she can handle the dizziness. Anyway, she was diagnosed with brain damage due to her spins, so she probably overdid it (or her brain well suited for it, I don't know).
I found the article I read about Lucinda.
It makes sense that f.e. laybacks spins create a greater centrifugal force on the brain.