2019 Europeans: Men's FS | Golden Skate

2019 Europeans: Men's FS

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Javier Fernandez.jpg

Javier Fernandez
of Spain won defended and won his seventh consecutive European title at the 2019 European Figure Skating Championships on Saturday. Russia's Alexander Samarin maintained second for the silver, while Italy's Matteo Rizzo leapt from 10th to third overall to capture bronze.
"I feel amazing!" said Fernandez. "I knew that was going to be my last skate, although I don't know about professional skating after this, but I'm super proud to have been able to skate like that today."

"I hope people will think of me as a different type of skater, a more complete skater than the ones we are supposed to have," he responded when asked how he want people to remember him. "Skaters are not just jumps, but they are about complete skating. There are some skaters I have seen, like this boy (Kevin Aymoz, FRA) who I see are like this and I am proud of them, it is unbelievable. I hope I have left something like that on figure skating."

More...

What are your thoughts on the Men's FS?

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Happy for Javi but devastated for Mikhail. He just fell apart in the free. Will he get to go to Worlds?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Happy for Javi but devastated for Mikhail. He just fell apart in the free. Will he get to go to Worlds?

Depending on his injury - TAT also mentioned that the guys should do the Russian Cup Final before deciding who goes. But it's all up in the air at the moment.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Javier and Matteo. Samarin - hate everything about his skating, but I will give him credit, at least he is a fighter. But LOL at those GOEs and PCS. Mikhail - what is the excuse of his stans this time since the sinusitis was cleared up and he no longer has the pressure of being Russian #1? If he couldn't medal in this field...good grief, what a trainwreck.

Kovtun...never believed in the hype for his comeback, and I hope his punishment is having to sit next to TAT on the plane ride home, and I hope the plane gets stuck on the tarmac for several extra hours.

Merjan

On the Ice
What an event, quite dissappointing performances. I really like that of Matteo though and I love Javi's program. So very happy for these 2 medallists.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Mikhail - what is the excuse of his stans this time since the sinusitis was cleared up and he no longer has the pressure of being Russian #1? If he couldn't medal in this field...good grief, what a trainwreck.
:palmf:

You don't have to be his fan to see that he clearly hurt his hand during a fall. (or you can just read the above article.... “I fell on the Axel and it started to hurt,” he said of the pain in his left arm. “I don’t know what happened, but maybe it is broken. I broke my right arm about ten years ago when I slipped on the street after rain and it kind of feels the same.”)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Although I am very, very happy for Javi, and of course the other two medalists who really deserved their medals, I feel for Mikhail. What a warrior! Of course, I know he is inconsistent, and he often has excuses for that, but this was something different. Being in such pain (that was obvious) and then continuing to skate. Admirable! Of course all chances for a medal were gone, but I cannot but feel a lot of admiration. But, congratulations to Javi, Alexander and Matteo. They skated perhaps not perfect, but very well-done.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was hesitant about Javier coming back for Europeans, especially on such a brief training timeline, but he got the fairy tale ending he wanted (and deserved). He'll be missed, but he really is leaving on his own terms, which is something many people claim, but fewer truly do.

Really depressed for Kolyada. It seemed like he had his mojo back after the short program. I wanted Javier to win, but a silver for him.

After the hiccup at Italian nationals, Rizzo's good season continues, after collecting Italy's first men's GP medal and now the first Euros medal in some time (this was a strong Euros for Italy everywhere but ladies, in fact).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thrilled for Javi of course, he was really going for the fairytale ending and he got it... last night was one of those magic moments that cement a legend. We miss him already, and to think he won't compete again... (Japan, make sure you get him for the ice shows next year!!!)

But if we have to loose our King of Continental Charm, Kevin shows great promise of growing into a prince, he was wonderful and adorable (and gorgeous, which didn't hurt Javi and won't hurt Kevin one little bit either :love:)

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Happy that Javi managed to do what he wanted!

I appreciate Mikhail's determination to finish his program; he had all the right to WD. Hopefully the injury isn't too severe and he can heal quickly and go to worlds

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Mikhail - what is the excuse of his stans this time since the sinusitis was cleared up and he no longer has the pressure of being Russian #1? If he couldn't medal in this field...good grief, what a trainwreck.

At least he didn't have to sit back at home twiddling his thumbs. :confused2:

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
Thrilled for Javi of course, he was really going for the fairytale ending and he got it... last night was one of those magic moments that cement a legend. We miss him already, and to think he won't compete again... (Japan, make sure you get him for the ice shows next year!!!)

But if we have to loose our King of Continental Charm, Kevin shows great promise of growing into a prince, he was wonderful and adorable (and gorgeous, which didn't hurt Javi and won't hurt Kevin one little bit either :love:)

I am sure his rink mate and best friend Yuzuru will make sure he does his Fantasy On Ice shows and other appearances too.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What a fantastic way for Javi to end his competitive career. I'm delighted for him. I'm sure many people once thought a Spanish figure skater was a Don Quixote tilting at windmills if he dreamed of being the best in the world, but he showed over and over again that it was nothing of the sort. But it wasn't 'The Impossible Dream' I had in my head watching him skate, it was Hamilton's 'One Last Time'. :cry:

Why is there no cry/smile emoji? Oh well. :)

I have to give a huge shoutout to Sondre Oddvoll Boe and Graham Newberry. They both put out the skates of their lives here - if not perfect, then still strong, brave and at the very top of their current competitive powers. Graham has grown into that Gladiator program so well, and there was a moment in Sondre's choreographic sequence where I quite abruptly found myself tearing up because he unexpectedly caught and amplified something in the music to make a quietly powerful emotional moment. I really hope they both make it to Worlds and take things up another step again from here.

Kevin Aymoz and Matteo Rizzo, what can I say. They did everything they could on the day and what they could was something amazing. Small fed boys (well, middle power in the case of France) keep on shaking things up! Both of them could really make a mark at Worlds, too.

Plus a great Euros debut for Adam Siao Him Fa! The French team has been on such a roll here, it's been great.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Super happy for Matteo, i'm still more a fan of Daniel Grassl who i think with the right programs could be a top skater in the near future: he has the quads, he has the spins, great lines,... Slightly more nervous here, understandably, he's usually very consistent even with the quads.

Overall great step forward for Italy and France at the Europeans.

Super happy for Matteo, i'm still more a fan of Daniel Grassl who i think with the right programs could be a top skater in the near future: he has the quads, he has the spins, great lines,... Slightly more nervous here, understandably, he's usually very consistent even with the quads.

Overall great step forward for Italy and France at the Europeans.

I currently see more potential in Grassl too.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I currently see more potential in Grassl too.

Yeah going forward i hope he works on the skating skills: like i said he has good lines, great spread eagle, skating a bit angular sometimes, i'd like to see more flow, but he is working with Benoit Richaud, he's in good hands. The improvements he made from last season are crazy.