2018-19 season so far | Golden Skate

2018-19 season so far

rinkside_user

On the Ice
I've been thinking about it a lot and I don't remember post-Olympics seasons being this empty. A lot of skaters/teams are gaining momentum who used to be only second row skaters. Due to a bucketload of injuries and changes in assignment, better skaters didn't end up in the GPF. Events have either predictable results or unpredictable disasters most of the time.

LADIES
Cons: Medvedeva, Zagitova, Daleman, Sotskova are out of form, Tuktamysheva is ill, Osmond, Kostner and Wagner are out of competitions. Pros: We have Kihira, Samodurova and Tuktamysheva as saviors. Undecided: Kihira having no competition if clean.
MEN
Cons: Fernandez retiring, Kolyada out of form, Uno struggling, Hanyu injured, Europeans being a splatfest, underwhelming GPF. Pros: Chen, Cha and Hanyu are going strong.
PAIRS
Cons: No Savchenko/Massot, Sui/Han, Duhamel/Radford, Stolbova/Klimov, Marchei/Hotarek, Seguin/Bilodeau. Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim and Tarasova/Morozov are struggling big time. Pros: James/Cipres.
DANCE
Cons: No Virtue/Moir, Shibutani/Shibutani, Capellini/Lanotte. Papadakis/Cizeron have no competition. Pros: Guignard/Fabbri shine. Undecided: Sinitsina/Katsalapov + Stepanova/Bukin drama.

Is it just me and the season is going as well as any other post-Olympics season tends to or has this season really been subpar so far? Looking at Europeans and GPF in all disciplines, both events were a disappointment for me (even though I'm happy for Fernandez and Samodurova in the former). Any comments? Any positives I'm failing to see?

pearly

Record Breaker
I love this type of analysis. A post Olympic season is always a time to rebuild. I think with the increased difficulty of programs, skating has become harder on the athletes and as such has more serious consequences. It also takes more than ever to be on top. That is why so many people were ready to retire after this Olympic cycle.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm going to be ready to analyze when the season is over (the main events in any case), but so far, apart from maybe dance, I am enjoying getting to know all the new faces we've gotten to see so far. And I bet there are still some surprises in store for us, what with the (hopefully) return of the Chinese pairs, Chock-Bates, Weaver/Poje, maybe Kostner... yes, I'm quite content so far. :)