Jackson Fusion Skates/Skating at 40 | Golden Skate

Jackson Fusion Skates/Skating at 40

IceJen48

Spectator
I live in the Bay Area & I used to figure skate at 13-14 years old in SP Teri Pro Teri skates with MK Professional blades. (I skated a little bit every couple years in my 20's and 30's but just simple crossovers & scratch spins because my boots were too tight but couldn't afford new ones). When I was 14, I got all my spins & single jumps and working on my axel but had to quit because I couldn't afford it.

I'm now 40 and I want to get back on the ice & to start-up weight loss (while having fun)! I've outgrown my old skates & I just got fitted & ordered Jackson Premiere Fusion skates which have a stiffness rating of 65. I wanted Jackson Elites since I'm on the heavier side, 5'5" and 155 pounds, but the fitter said those may be too stiff for me since I'll be skating 1-2 times a week. She had initially recommended Jackson Competitors but I refused because I'm used to the stiffer boot (SP Teri Pro Teri) and I need skates to last longer, which I feel Competitors will break down faster.

Does anyone have any experience with the Jackson Premiere Fusion line? (I was going to try Edeas but there are no Edea fitters nearby). I do want to try to land an axel at least, but it was always a hard jump for me to learn, even with a harness. I know at 40, it'll be a challenge, but I do also plan on taking private lessons.

So questions are:

1. Did I underboot or overboot with the Premiere Fusions? (I know the old Premieres that are discontinued had a stiffness of 45 or 50).

2. What off-ice workouts and stretches will help with strength, stamina & flexibility?

3. Is it still possible to get an axel or even a double salchow at 40?

4. I've never competed, is it expensive to compete in the adult level? Should I join a skating club or the USFSA?

5. What's the best way to break in Jackson boots?

6. Does anyone who has Jackson Fusion skates have any tips for me? Pros and Cons of the Fusion line since it's a fairly new sole?

Thank you!!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Welcome back to skating!

Answer to question 3: Yes it is possible to get both after age 40 but some of the factors to consider are your overall skating ability, fear tolerance, and how much you practice. It may take a few years.

Answer to question 4: It's expensive to compete at any level. You'll need private lessons and lots of practice. In addition to coaching and ice time fees, there are competition entry fees too. But don't be discouraged at this point. Start your lessons and go from there.

You can join US Figure Skating as an individual member or you can join (and support!) your local club which will also include US Figure Skating membership. The skating year runs from July to June so you'll need to wait. And if you're not yet competing or testing, there is no hurry.

As for your question 2: there have been several threads on the topic of stretching and stamina, including one that is fairly recent. One of the other posters may link them to answer you on that one.

Good luck!

jf12

Final Flight
4. I've never competed, is it expensive to compete in the adult level? Should I join a skating club or the USFSA?

Thank you!!

Usually, it's cheaper to join USFSA by joining a skating club (which will include USFSA membership), instead of being an individual member. This was very confusing to me when I first started testing.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
2. What off-ice workouts and stretches will help with strength, stamina & flexibility?
- Any of them will help. ;) But aerobic exercise for stamina. Lots of things for flexibility - ballet, yoga, pilates, stretching. For strength - squats, etc.

- My coach tells me that it may be possible for me to do so, and I started skating as an adult. Since you did skate when younger, I'd say you're more likely to do it than I am. But it will take significant time and effort.

- It depends on what you mean by expensive. Compared to ballroom dance, which I can't even touch, financially, skating is cheap. Even going to adult nationals - the entry fee per event is only maybe $150 or less? And local competitions are a lot less. You can save money by doing mostly local competitions, and not paying for your coach to go with you if you do travel to events.
- I like being a part of a skating club. You get discounts on test fees if you take your tests with the club, you may have access to special events, etc. The one I'm in has several adults, and does things for adult skaters. The one I was in before, I was the only adult. I'd suggest that, if possible, you find one that has several adults.

Most modern, real skates are now heat moldable, which your pro shop should do for you. It makes a world of difference versus the old style break in.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
You can join US Figure Skating as an individual member or you can join (and support!) your local club which will also include US Figure Skating membership. The skating year runs from July to June so you'll need to wait. And if you're not yet competing or testing, there is no hurry.

The clubs where I live will accept members at any time of year. It's just that you'll pay the membership fee for the year, but only get through the end of June if you join now. But if you don't want to wait to join, you probably don't have to.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Re: 6. My 10 year old skater has the Debut Fusion (fitted by Sp-Teri BTW). Good boot for her, the sole is really light compared to the LCL's on her previous Elle's (Jackson tells me they are 2% lighter than their LC(arbon)F soles. Easy to take care of since they are plastic so no leather rot issues. They do show nicks and cuts really badly though. I'm not crazy about the looks of the silver sole on the Premiere, but my skater is and it'll likely be her next boot in a couple of months, either that or a custom Debut/Premier/Elite hybrid.

Oh, and the heat molding helps tremendously. She's had no break in at all with any of her heat moldable Jacksons.

And the over 40 thing, one of our rinks (Bay Area) has Saturday a.m. adult group classes. Nobody doing Axels, but they're out there working hard and having fun, some are quite a bit over 40. Several do the production (show) class as well, and some mix into the power, edge and stroking classes. Our other (main) rink has very few (if any?) older adult freestyle skaters, some ice dancers though.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

IceJen48

Spectator
Re: 6. My 10 year old skater has the Debut Fusion (fitted by Sp-Teri BTW). Good boot for her, the sole is really light compared to the LCL's on her previous Elle's (Jackson tells me they are 2% lighter than their LC(arbon)F soles. Easy to take care of since they are plastic so no leather rot issues. They do show nicks and cuts really badly though. I'm not crazy about the looks of the silver sole on the Premiere, but my skater is and it'll likely be her next boot in a couple of months, either that or a custom Debut/Premier/Elite hybrid.

Oh, and the heat molding helps tremendously. She's had no break in at all with any of her heat moldable Jacksons.

And the over 40 thing, one of our rinks (Bay Area) has Saturday a.m. adult group classes. Nobody doing Axels, but they're out there working hard and having fun, some are quite a bit over 40. Several do the production (show) class as well, and some mix into the power, edge and stroking classes. Our other (main) rink has very few (if any?) older adult freestyle skaters, some ice dancers though.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

Awesome!! Thank you for your input! The silver soles did look a bit different to me, but I guess since they're lighter, that's a plus. I'm going to get my Premieres heat molded as well, and punched out in the bunion area. Great to know your daughter had no break-in issues with her Jacksons. ☺

Nimyue

On the Ice
I live in the Bay Area & I used to figure skate at 13-14 years old in SP Teri Pro Teri skates with MK Professional blades. (I skated a little bit every couple years in my 20's and 30's but just simple crossovers & scratch spins because my boots were too tight but couldn't afford new ones). When I was 14, I got all my spins & single jumps and working on my axel but had to quit because I couldn't afford it.

I'm now 40 and I want to get back on the ice & to start-up weight loss (while having fun)! I've outgrown my old skates & I just got fitted & ordered Jackson Premiere Fusion skates which have a stiffness rating of 65. I wanted Jackson Elites since I'm on the heavier side, 5'5" and 155 pounds, but the fitter said those may be too stiff for me since I'll be skating 1-2 times a week. She had initially recommended Jackson Competitors but I refused because I'm used to the stiffer boot (SP Teri Pro Teri) and I need skates to last longer, which I feel Competitors will break down faster.

Does anyone have any experience with the Jackson Premiere Fusion line? (I was going to try Edeas but there are no Edea fitters nearby). I do want to try to land an axel at least, but it was always a hard jump for me to learn, even with a harness. I know at 40, it'll be a challenge, but I do also plan on taking private lessons.

So questions are:

1. Did I underboot or overboot with the Premiere Fusions? (I know the old Premieres that are discontinued had a stiffness of 45 or 50).

6. Does anyone who has Jackson Fusion skates have any tips for me? Pros and Cons of the Fusion line since it's a fairly new sole?

Thank you!!

As for your boots, I think the Premiers were a good choice. I had the Freestyles and they broke down once I started Axels. I started at 145lb and am now about 135. If I had bought Premieres I'd imagine I'd be wearing them through double loop or so, so possibly 2-3 years depending? I've landed axels and double sals, but I wouldn't say I 'have' those jumps lol I fall far more often and I'm still figuring them out! The Elites might have been really difficult to break in before you at least have singles back, so the Premiere was a good compromise. They should break in easily enough while re-learning, but last through a decent amount of development. I'm definitely with you about the competitors/freestyle/debut not being enough for you considering what you've previously done and what you're used to skating in.