Long live Deanna and Zoe! Older Skaters Inspire! | Golden Skate

Long live Deanna and Zoe! Older Skaters Inspire!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This is meant to be a little tribute to Deanna Stellato and Zoe Jones who both dared to get into pair skating, in my view the most difficult and dangerous discipline, in their thirties. A little celebration perhaps. I have always admired Aljona Savchenko tremendously for continuing to skate at a high level until she was 34 (and, who knows, she might be back), but these two ladies had been single skaters originally with some level of success, quit the sport for many years and then came back as pair skaters. What courage! And what strength, because the male may be the one who is lifting, carrying and assisting jumps but the ladies have to be pretty strong too. I don't know what drives them precisely, but they are an example to many of us...getting medals at your National Championships, participating in international events. I hope they will continue.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is meant to be a little tribute to Deanna Stellato and Zoe Jones who both dared to get into pair skating, in my view the most difficult and dangerous discipline, in their thirties. A little celebration perhaps. I have always admired Aljona Savchenko tremendously for continuing to skate at a high level until she was 34 (and, who knows, she might be back), but these two ladies had been single skaters originally with some level of success, quit the sport for many years and then came back as pair skaters. What courage! And what strength, because the male may be the one who is lifting, carrying and assisting jumps but the ladies have to be pretty strong too. I don't know what drives them precisely, but they are an example to many of us...getting medals at your National Championships, participating in international events. I hope they will continue.

They have to be strong and fearless! Here’s to them!

Nirti

Medalist
I don't know about Deanna, but Zoe gave birth to 3 children! Impressive to go back at high level after this!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am more impressed by Deanna than words can say. I actually followed Nate as a Pennsylvania "homie" and knew nothing about her until they paired up, but wowza:hap10: To come back to skating after 17 years away "as a normal person", and to pick up a new discipline besides:eek:

Unfortunately I know less about Zoe, but cheers to her too!:clap:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Both did singles at a young age, left the competitive arena (Zoe coached for app. 10 yrs in the US), and then at a ripe old age (for skating that is, not in any other way!!!!!) picked up pair skating and managed to successfully do so, even if not at the level of international champions like Savchenko, Sui, James, Tarasova, and others. Hardly a fair comparison, I know. Deanna got two bronze medals at nationals, and went to a Four Continents and a World championships, Zoe won nationals (but there was no competition) a few times and entered European and World championships. So inspirational, both of them.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
It’s a shame Deanna didn’t get chosen for the 4CC Team. Another reason to hate USFS rn [emoji849]

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
That's why I like pairs skating most. Because it's full of inspirational stories and examples like Zoe's, Deanna's or Alyona's!

I like Deanna & Nate and Zoe & Chris! Go guys!

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
T I don't know what drives them precisely, but they are an example to many of us...getting medals at your National Championships, participating in international events. I hope they will continue.

I think it is an olympic dream. I heard from our Russian commentators that Zoe failed to qualify for the Olympics when she was a single skater and she decided to try it in pairs.
And Deanna had a successful junior career but had to retire because of injuries. And then some years later she felt that she hadn't said her last word in figure skating.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My wife and I always cheer for Deanna...she is wonderful and who wouldnt like to sit down with her and her family and have a green tea and fruit juice drink? She shows that picking the right parents and getting the right genes, as well as having a positive attitude and good work ethic while making healthy life choices can take you far....More importantly, she is a good positive example for everyone, as many skaters are. That is one of the reasons I love this sport. Maybe we all cant be Deannas. But we can swing on a star, carry moon beams home in jar, and be better off than we are.....you go girl!

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
.... That is one of the reasons I love this sport. Maybe we all cant be Deannas. But we can swing on a star, carry moon beams home in jar, and be better off than we are.....you go girl!

Look at Chris, throwing down the rhymes! :cool2: Who knew?? Somebody drop this man a beat!! :rock:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Look at Chris, throwing down the rhymes! :cool2: Who knew?? Somebody drop this man a beat!! :rock:

You wont believe this, CherylDee, but back in the 1950s when we took our nappies in the 3rd grade, we were played propaganda on a phonograph designed to give us good attitude on how to work hard and succeed...with out heads on our desks, we heard Bing Crosby sing....
"Would you like to swing on a star?
Carry moonbeams home in a jar?
And be better off than you are?
Or would you rather be a MULE??

So if you hate to go to school, you may grow up to be a mule..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rATftJiWdkw

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
You wont believe this, CherylDee, but back in the 1950s when we took our nappies in the 3rd grade, we were played propaganda on a phonograph designed to give us good attitude on how to work hard and succeed...with out heads on our desks, we heard Bing Crosby sing....

School is cool, says Bing!! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

School is cool, says Bing!! :agree:

Didn't realise that Bing sings this song.

(I just couldn't resist wording it like that, sorry. :p )

This is the version that I know:

Big Dee Irwin & Little Eva - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uhKpftU70g]"Swinging On A Star"[/URL]

Have to be honest, I prefer the cover version. (Sorry Bing!)

CaroLiza_fan

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Didn't realise that Bing sings this song.

(I just couldn't resist wording it like that, sorry. [emoji14] )

This is the version that I know:

Big Dee Irwin & Little Eva - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uhKpftU70g]"Swinging On A Star"[/URL]

Have to be honest, I prefer the cover version. (Sorry Bing!)

CaroLiza_fan
I think its the words that are so important. We were taught to study hard, listen to the teachers, and go as far and fly as high as you can. I am living proof that it. Works. Its not an easy path, but the 14 good years of being retired and going to see Alysa and Rika are worth... ;) Chris # the aeroport