Female Russian skate stars rise fast, but burn out too soon | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Female Russian skate stars rise fast, but burn out too soon

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
guys, it just simple as that: Russia's single ladies field is deep! Same as American WAG (gymnastics). Injury-comebacks, early burnouts, injury-career-endings, quick generation change and etc. All that jazz. Their ladies are just strong and ahead of time a bit. However Japanese ladies are rapidly closing the gap. I highly respect Japanese culture for their work ethics and ability to quickly come up with an honest winning strategy. They don't gossip or drama, they WORK! Unlike us - silly North Americans. ;) BTW, those PCS at 4CC are totally home-cooked. Sorry. :(

Russians also "WORK", the thing is Japan doesn't have american media bashing on them all the time.

If Alysa Liu becomes as successful as Eteri girls, nobody will complain about this girl trying super hard elements like 3A at such a tender age with a thin body, and this is already happening looking at the buzz from US Nationals. That's how pointless this discussion really is, it's just complaining until we can reach the same level, then it becomes acceptable.

If you want to complain about this trend of junior girls becoming successful too soon, fine, i think ths is something worth discussing, but you should address this issue for every skater (yours too) regardless of which country they come from. Otherwise all of this is just crocodile tears.

Japanese skaters also grow up in a super strict environment, arguargbly more strict than the russians (as Inna Goncharenko pointed out in a recent interview, after competing against these girls for many years), and that's why they're so diligent and precise, it is something they've been taught from the very beginning.

Injury-comebacks, early burnouts, happen everywhere, Japan included, you just don't know it because nobody writes articles on it.

champs

Final Flight
Japanese skaters also grow up in a super strict environment, arguargbly more strict than the russians (as Inna Goncharenko pointed out in a recent interview, after competing against these girls for many years), and that's why they're so diligent and precise, it is something they've been taught from the very beginning.
Could you elaborate on the bolded part as I don't know what a "strict environment" means for figure skaters.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Could you elaborate on the bolded part as I don't know what a "strict environment" means for figure skaters.

Well in the interview she said she studied the behaviour of japanese skaters for a while, their typical excercises, and i think it's also part of the culture where since the very beginning even from their parents at a certain age they're taught in a certain way with no room for mistakes, in that sense it is strictness, but presented in an elegant way you'll rarely see the coach yelling at the skater.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Well, I have been very sad for Kaori when I see her struggling, not just because she does not win win win win win all the time, but because of her reaction and it is painful for me to see a nice person be so sad.