Where can Alysa compete? | Golden Skate

Where can Alysa compete?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She can't compete in senior worlds or GP. She can't compete in junior worlds or GP. She has a bye to next year's Nationals. Is next years Nationals the only place she can compete? I'm assuming you have to be a senior or at least a junior to compete in comps like Golden Spin (or 4ccs or they would have named her to the team).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
She would be eligible to compete internationally at Advanced Novice Level.

Although the Senior competitions grab most of the headlines, lots of the Senior B's include Junior and Novice level competitions in their schedule as well.

For example, next week's Bavarian Open in Oberstdorf, where fellow Americans Lindsey Thorngren (4 months younger than Alysa) and Audrey Ignacio are competing in Advanced Novice Ladies (as per the Entry List PDF).

Yes, it is 2 steps down from Seniors. But, at least it would let her get international experience.

EDIT: Just looked up Alysa's Rink Results Bio, and she has already been competing internationally at Advanced Novice level since last season:

DateCompetitionLevelSPFSTotal
PosScorePosScorePosScore
2018–19 Season
02–05 Aug. 2018Asian OpenAdvanced Novice150.25188.201138.45
2017–18 Season
22–25 Feb. 2018Challenge CupAdvanced Novice142.79286.992129.78
01–03 Aug. 2017Asian OpenAdvanced Novice338.74369.602108.34

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are Advanced Novice segments at internationals.

At any rate, as long as she's 13 by July 1 this year she can compete Junior next season. So it's a bit of a moot point.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
There are Advanced Novice segments at internationals.

At any rate, as long as she's 13 by July 1 this year she can compete Junior next season. So it's a bit of a moot point.
She is already 13. She will enter juniors next season

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are plenty of international events on the 2019 ISU Calendar (Communication 1261) that include Advanced Novice Ladies, if Alysa is interested in skating this season.

There are two events that feature Novices only:

Rooster Cup, Courbevoie FRA 19-20 April
Oceania International Novice Figure Skating Championship, Melbourne AUS 15-19 May

frida80

Record Breaker
I'd rather she'd take this several months to prepare for next season. I'd love to see her continue training with BOrser and continue improving her skating skills and the consistency of her jumps.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I'd rather she'd take this several months to prepare for next season. I'd love to see her continue training with BOrser and continue improving her skating skills and the consistency of her jumps.

?? Isnt Alysa Liu's coach a lady from US?
You referring to a different Alysa?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
?? Isnt Alysa Liu's coach a lady from US?
You referring to a different Alysa?

Alysa trained for a few weeks(?) with Brian and a week? with Frank Carroll.

She is 13 years old and lives with her family and loves her primary coach, Laura Lipetsky, who is in the area. I don’t think that will change.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
I can't believe it. A 13 year old jumping two triple axels. One in combination. Teleport Alysa back to the 1950s and the skating world would see her as a prodigy descended straight from god/goddess him/herself.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Alysa has also trained with Raf before, but not sure how recently.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think she has skated at the Asian Open twice. 2017 she got the silver (recently saw a reference to this) and 2018 got the gold (this one I am sure of).

And got silver at the 2018 Challenge Cup in advanced novice :)

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Please send Alysaher to the novice competition called Triglav Trophy (in Slovenia) in March 4th to 7th 2019. Previous winners there were (among others): Elena Radionova (2012), Marin Honda (2013 and Kaori Sakamoto 2.), Erika Kihira (2016) etc. It was the international debut competition for Yuna Kim. She won there in 2002. This competition is among world TOP (maybe n.1 sometimes) in the novices category.

b-man

Final Flight
She would be eligible to compete internationally at Advanced Novice Level.

Although the Senior competitions grab most of the headlines, lots of the Senior B's include Junior and Novice level competitions in their schedule as well.

For example, next week's Bavarian Open in Oberstdorf, where fellow Americans Lindsey Thorngren (4 months younger than Alysa) and Audrey Ignacio are competing in Advanced Novice Ladies (as per the Entry List PDF).

Yes, it is 2 steps down from Seniors. But, at least it would let her get international experience.

EDIT: Just looked up Alysa's Rink Results Bio, and she has already been competing internationally at Advanced Novice level since last season:

DateCompetitionLevelSPFSTotal
PosScorePosScorePosScore
2018–19 Season
02–05 Aug. 2018Asian OpenAdvanced Novice150.25188.201138.45
2017–18 Season
22–25 Feb. 2018Challenge CupAdvanced Novice142.79286.992129.78
01–03 Aug. 2017Asian OpenAdvanced Novice338.74369.602108.34

CaroLiza_fan

How comparable is the scoring in advanced novice to that of seniors? I suspect they are on the ice for a shorter period and due fewer elements.

gkelly

Record Breaker
ISU guidelines for novice competitions: ISU Communication No. 2172

Advanced Novice short program 2:20 min +/- 10 sec.; Free Skating 3:00 min, +/- 10 sec

The short program has 6 elements (no flying spin)

The free skate has 6 jump elements, 2 spins, and a step sequence.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
How comparable is the scoring in advanced novice to that of seniors? I suspect they are on the ice for a shorter period and due fewer elements.

It's not really comparable at all.
For one, there's no 3-3 allowed in the SP, no 3A allowed in the SP, and only 2 spins there.
In the FS - only 6 jump passes, no 3-jump combo, 2 spins, no choreo sequence.

And of course, lowered PCS to match