Where can Alysa compete? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Where can Alysa compete?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just watched the Opening Ceremony from Four Continents, and saw Alysa for the first time.

All I can say is "Wow"!!! :shocked:

Those jumps! :jaw:

You know how I said it would be a good idea for her to do some Advanced Novice competitions while she is still too young for Juniors, so as to get her some more international experience. Well I take that back. She is too good. Going back to Novice level would be too much of a backward step. And it could actually harm her progress.

It's only a few months until she is eligible for Juniors, so my advice to Alysa now is just keep training and doing exhibitions in the meantime. Oh, and your schoolwork! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Just watched the Opening Ceremony from Four Continents, and saw Alysa for the first time.

All I can say is "Wow"!!! :shocked:

Those jumps! :jaw:

You know how I said it would be a good idea for her to do some Advanced Novice competitions while she is still too young for Juniors, so as to get her some more international experience. Well I take that back. She is too good. Going back to Novice level would be too much of a backward step. And it could actually harm her progress.

It's only a few months until she is eligible for Juniors, so my advice to Alysa now is just keep training and doing exhibitions in the meantime. Oh, and your schoolwork! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

Where can I see her skate?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Where can I see her skate?

The short answer is "I don't know". There are no videos (that I could find, anyway) on YouTube.

I watched it here:

https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...ionships/51bd9cf6-ff54-4312-b81b-e5875c31315b

But, you need a Eurosport Player subscription. And you wouldn't be able to watch it in America anyway because the Player has got better at working out where you are. I used to be able to watch other countries' versions of the Eurosport Player with a VPN. Now I can't. :mad:

I just checked the ISU's page on Eurovision Sports, and the most recent video on there is the Gala from the GP Finland. :eek:

Hopefully it will appear somewhere. But in the meantime, I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

Right, back to the Men's SP for me.

CaroLiza_fan

noskates

Record Breaker
Alyssa is dynamite. She's great fun to watch and I enjoy her programs very much but WHY do we let a 13 yr old who cannot help us internationally skate seniors? Makes no sense to me.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I think some countries do think to put the senior skaters on notice. This is your competition very soon you do what you can to keep up.

That said I think I prefer the Japanese way of doing it where only Junior age eligible skaters can have the opportunity to skate in Senior Nationals (similar to the Russian way) but there they qualify by placing well at Junior Nationals.

noskates

Record Breaker
To add to my thought process let me just say - Mirai Negasu. Mirai was our bright shining hope the year she won Nationals. Then she had a growth spurt that threw her jumps off, etc. Granted she was a titch older than Alyssa but that's a tremendous amount of pressure on a young skater to have to try to live up to a success in the past. I'm not quite sure Mirai ever got over it. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Alyssa. Too much too soon hasn't necessarily worked out for the little Russian girls, either! Just my thoughts!

champs

Final Flight
Alyssa is dynamite. She's great fun to watch and I enjoy her programs very much but WHY do we let a 13 yr old who cannot help us internationally skate seniors? Makes no sense to me.

What do you mean by a skater "helping you internationally"? And whatever that means, only the skaters who can hep you internationally should be allowed to skate at the senior national competitions?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To add to my thought process let me just say - Mirai Negasu. Mirai was our bright shining hope the year she won Nationals. Then she had a growth spurt that threw her jumps off, etc. Granted she was a titch older than Alyssa but that's a tremendous amount of pressure on a young skater to have to try to live up to a success in the past. I'm not quite sure Mirai ever got over it. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Alyssa. Too much too soon hasn't necessarily worked out for the little Russian girls, either! Just my thoughts!

I get the feeling that Alysa has a inner drive and confidence that Mirai lacked at times in her teen years.

noskates

Record Breaker
What do you mean by a skater "helping you internationally"? And whatever that means, only the skaters who can hep you internationally should be allowed to skate at the senior national competitions?

I think there should be an age limit on who can skate seniors domestically like there is for 4CCs and Worlds and the Olympics. A 13 year old is still growing and developing - physically and emotionally. A young skater can have all the drive in the world but he or she is still barely out of childhood.

As far as your comment - that is not what I said. But clearly if a skater wins the US Nationals you would hope that they would be competitive internationally. Isn't that the goal? I'm guessing the USFS would agree with me. In the past they've certainly chose to send skaters to international competitions with that in mind - for example, Todd Eldredge and Ashley Wagner - even tho they didn't qualify based on their Nats placement,

As I mentioned, I think Alyssa Liu is incredible and I hope her body doesn't change to the point that it effects her balance and her skating. She certainly gives us hope for the future,

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think there should be an age limit on who can skate seniors domestically like there is for 4CCs and Worlds and the Olympics.

ISU age limits have changed over the years -- for many years there were no limits at all and no such thing as junior international competitions, and preteens did sometimes compete at Worlds and Olympics.

The US has never had age limits for domestic competitions at the top few skill levels.

Would you be happier if the ISU called their competitions "junior" and "senior" and the US called their competitions "7th test" and "8th test" and allowed anyone who had passed the eighth test in the testing system to compete at the highest level at Nationals but obviously could only send age-eligible competitors to senior internationals?

sheetz

Record Breaker
Senior Nationals isn't just for picking the World team. Among other things her win now means that Alysa qualifies for envelope funding.

champs

Final Flight
As far as your comment - that is not what I said.
I merely quoted what you said.
But clearly if a skater wins the US Nationals you would hope that they would be competitive internationally.
Alysa has been competitive internationally so your hope has already been met.
Isn't that the goal?
...of what? US Senior Nationals? National championships are national championships, they are where the best in the country compete. They don't exist just for the USFS selecting who represent the country at 4CC/Worlds.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Oh-kay. I didn’t until now clue in to the fact that this is the same girl who blew us away in The Hague last year. Incredible.