Lace width comparisons? | Golden Skate

Lace width comparisons?

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi All,

Does anyone have any insight into different brand lace widths? My skater wants to get thinner (narrower) laces than the Jackson's that she's been using. I don't know what brands (Edea, Risport, AR, Jerry's, Riedell) are either comparatively wider or narrower than Jackson. Any suggestions appreciated. I've also seen references here to Sp-Teri laces, and we're visiting them soon for a sharpening and a boot check so if anyone knows anything about those please chime in. Thanks.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I have spare black Riedell #3276 laces, and measured a new package. The shape is somewhat flat, with the width measuring around 0.24" (just under 1/4"), and thickness just under 0.1"

Sibelius

On the Ice
I have spare black Riedell #3276 laces, and measured a new package. The shape is somewhat flat, with the width measuring around 0.24" (just under 1/4"), and thickness just under 0.1"

Thanks, that's just about what the Jackson's are. I have older laces that are quite a bit thinner but I can't remember where they came from, or if they just are stretched out.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Thanks, that's just about what the Jackson's are. I have older laces that are quite a bit thinner but I can't remember where they came from, or if they just are stretched out.

The nylon laces that come with an SP Teri/Harlick will be thinner than the jackson laces. But because they are nylon, they are difficult to maintain tension.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The nylon laces that come with an SP Teri/Harlick will be thinner than the jackson laces. But because they are nylon, they are difficult to maintain tension.

Not only that, they hurt my fingers to actually work with them. I changed mine out as soon as I could.
Yet, most of the younger skaters I see in those boot brands love the thin laces. Can't figure it out - LOL!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Not only that, they hurt my fingers to actually work with them. I changed mine out as soon as I could.
Yet, most of the younger skaters I see in those boot brands love the thin laces. Can't figure it out - LOL!

My skater loves the thin laces on the Harlicks! Like you, I swapped them out immediately for something more traditional as I found them awful to tie....

Sibelius

On the Ice

That must be what she's looking at. Most of the skaters at our rink that aren't in Edea are in Sp-Teri's. I've got to get up there for a sharpening really soon, so I'll get a pair that she can try out.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice

Agreed - I got a giant blister the first week of having my SP-Teris! I switched out the laces to thick 50/50 cotton/poly Riedell laces and they maintain consistent tension without loosening on their own. Much improved, and no finger-cutting! But yes, if you *want* thin, slippery laces, SP-Teri laces is the way to go!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To: OP

I just posted a thread on new laces. They won't be of interest to you since they are wider than the Jackson laces. I included an Appendix that might be of interest to you. The Appendix is reproduced here:

10. APPENDIX. Width and Thickness Comparison.

Width*: (Derby) 7.0/6.0; (Jackson) 6.5/5.0; (Riedell) 5.5/4.5; (A&R) 6.0/4.5

Thickness**: (Derby) 1.7 – 1.8/1.5 – 1.6; (Jackson) 1.4 – 1.5/1.3 – 1.4; (Riedell) 1.8 – 1.9/1.7 – 1.8; (A&R) 1.5 – 1.6/1.3 – 1.4

* Nearest 0.5 mm in unstretched/stretched state. Measurements taken at 10 points along a single sample lace.

** Nearest 0.1 mm in unstretched/stretched state. Measurements taken at 10 points along a single sample lace.

Laces were unused, out of the package. Derby laces were recent vintage. Other laces were purchased ~ two years ago. Product designations:

Derby CORE
Jackson Elite No. 92PT
Riedell No. 3276
A&R No. 9094B.

Since laces are easily deformable, measurements will depend on the instruments and conditions used. All laces were measured with the same instruments and under the same conditions. We would expect measurements to vary with lot, storage conditions, and age. Therefore, these measurements are not statistically valid.