Why isn't the free skate in reverse order? | Golden Skate

Why isn't the free skate in reverse order?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
It would make more sense. As difficult as it is to follow the scoring for the audience (+TV), I would think that it would be easier to know that every skater that comes has an advantage over the previous ones.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It would make more sense. As difficult as it is to follow the scoring for the audience (+TV), I would think that it would be easier to know that every skater that comes has an advantage over the previous ones.

It usually is give or take. It depends on the competition.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I believe it used to be in reverse order.. at least in some events. They wanted to randomize it a bit so it goes by groups.. if you're 1st -6th you're in the final flight but draw a random position between 1st and last in that flight.. 7-th -12th place etc does the same thing and so on. So it isnt all over the place but it will be random based on the flights. I think they changed it because if it was always the same skaters going last or first it wasnt deemed fair to the other skaters.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I believe it used to be in reverse order.. at least in some events. They wanted to randomize it a bit so it goes by groups.. if you're 1st -6th you're in the final flight but draw a random position between 1st and last in that flight.. 7-th -12th place etc does the same thing and so on. So it isnt all over the place but it will be random based on the flights. I think they changed it because if it was always the same skaters going last or first it wasnt deemed fair to the other skaters.

Actually, in some competition they don't randomize it by flight, but by half-flight (so in the last flight, 4-6 from the SP would draw in for the first 3 start position in the flight and 1-3 for the last 3 start positions in the flight). And sometimes it's random within the flight for the early flights and by the half-flight for the later flights.