3. Ice Castles 1978
4. Snowden on Ice
5. Ice Angel

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Blades of Glory is the only good skating movie because it's the only one that doesn't pretend to be serious.

Everything else sucks because it pretends to be a serious skating movie while doing stupid junk like having a high school student teach herself a triple Lutz from video analysis in a month of skating.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
GO FIGURE! The breathtaking motion picture brought to you by none other than the Disney Channel!

Teenage sensation Katelin Kingsford knows only one thing: figure skating. Her goal? To be an ICE CHAMPION! One day, Katelin is discovered by none other than uber-famous Russian coach Natasha Ivanov. Natasha knows talent when she sees it and Katelin is it! But, there's only ONE PROBLEM! Russian coach superstar Natasha Petrov only coaches students at the ultra-exclusive, super-chic private boarding school that Katelin's parents JUST CAN'T AFFORD! But, mega-success Natasha Pavlov has a plan to make Katelin her student! All Katelin has to do is join the girl's struggling hockey team, get a free pass to boarding school somehow (shh, we can't go into the details!), juggle maintaining her ice princess persona while being harassed by her new stereotypically tomboy hockey teammates, become Natasha Sokolov's star pupil, meet Kristi Yamaguchi (who has a really random cameo in this), and make Spencer (the boarding school teen hunk :love::love::love:) fall in love with her as she aims for the National title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*this is all sarcasm but yes, it's a real movie :laugh:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
"We forgot about the flowers."

It's so cheesy and bad that I love it. Especially the comment about triples being show off acrobatics. :laugh:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"We forgot about the flowers."

It's so cheesy and bad that I love it. Especially the comment about triples being show off acrobatics. :laugh:

I watched it like 6 times in the theater. I was 10. And usually the only person in the theater.

Did they used to throw real flowers back then or was it a movie device? I should know, but again I was 10 watching with my mother and not noticing what got thrown.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Blades of Glory is the only good skating movie because it's the only one that doesn't pretend to be serious.

Everything else sucks because it pretends to be a serious skating movie while doing stupid junk like having a high school student teach herself a triple Lutz from video analysis in a month of skating.

I taught myself the triple lutz in 2 weeks. Just wear high heels and get real drunk. When you trip you get that deep outside edge and twirl three times. :gclap:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
GO FIGURE! The breathtaking motion picture brought to you by none other than the Disney Channel!

Teenage sensation Katelin Kingsford knows only one thing: figure skating. Her goal? To be an ICE CHAMPION! One day, Katelin is discovered by none other than uber-famous Russian coach Natasha Ivanov. Natasha knows talent when she sees it and Katelin is it! But, there's only ONE PROBLEM! Russian coach superstar Natasha Petrov only coaches students at the ultra-exclusive, super-chic private boarding school that Katelin's parents JUST CAN'T AFFORD! But, mega-success Natasha Pavlov has a plan to make Katelin her student! All Katelin has to do is join the girl's struggling hockey team, get a free pass to boarding school somehow (shh, we can't go into the details!), juggle maintaining her ice princess persona while being harassed by her new stereotypically tomboy hockey teammates, become Natasha Sokolov's star pupil, meet Kristi Yamaguchi (who has a really random cameo in this), and make Spencer (the boarding school teen hunk :love::love::love:) fall in love with her as she aims for the National title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget! Her one shot to go to the Olympics and she forgot her figure skates so she tries in hockey skates! But oh no, she falls, and that means she's automatically disqualified! But now the crowd will plead with the referee to give her a restart!

OH MY GOD I HATE IT.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Wouldn't the women's names end in "ova" if this ere more truthfully based.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist

Karne, I have a movie recommendation for you! On Edge, from 2004. Here's the synopsis from the back of the DVD:

"Three cold-hearted rivals train, toil and plot their way to figure skating fame in this hilarious mockumentary about skating for glory - and knocking the competition out cold! Starring Jason Alexander, Scott Hamilton, AJ Langer, Wendie Malick and Kathy Griffin - and featuring hilarious cameos by Olympic luminaries Kristi Yamaguchi, Peter Carruthers and Tai Babilonia - On Edge is a raucous, riotous, razor-sharp romp!"

I don't know that I'd go that far with my praise, but I can highly recommend getting some FS-savvy friends together for a cocktail party with a double bill of Blades of Glory and On Edge!

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I watched it like 6 times in the theater. I was 10. And usually the only person in the theater.

Did they used to throw real flowers back then or was it a movie device? I should know, but again I was 10 watching with my mother and not noticing what got thrown.

They did throw flowers. If you look at this video of Dorothy Hamill, at around 6:35, you can see her pick one up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5ZzsUX8nM

And here, if you look in the background once she's done, you can see them thrown for Oksana Baiul:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_fvrG3f0fI

But they were wrapped up, so the petals don't get all over the ice. I don't know if in earlier days, the flowers didn't used to be wrapped up, but I'd imagine they were not.