Skating movies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating movies

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
"We forgot about the flowers."

It's so cheesy and bad that I love it. Especially the comment about triples being show off acrobatics. :laugh:

Sure, there was cheesiness. There was unrealism. Like when Deborah pulled strings to qualify Lexie for Sectionals after she presumably did not place in the top three at Regionals after lighting up the crowd in her hand-me down dress. As if that ever happened even once. And the whole skating figures in competition while legally blind thing - okay. But Ice Castles did get a lot of things right and realistic. For example, they shot the competition scenes with actual audiences and did not dim the lights and make competitions look like shows with spotlights in order to save budget on crowd extras. That has got to be my all-time number one skating movie pet peeve, and Ice Castles didn't mess that up. In fact, the competition scene - the first one, regionals, was pretty realistic. And Lynn Holly Johnson did her own skating and was a very good skater, so bravo to the production for going out and finding a beautiful girl who could act (sort of) and was actually a national figure skating medalist. Along with working closely with the USFSA and including several other nationally ranked skaters in smaller roles. And Robby Benson was charming. And Tom Skerritt and Coleen Dewhurst were very strong in the acting. For these reasons, Ice Castles '78 remains my favorite skating movie.

illusionspin

Rinkside
- Kiss & Cry: it’s a bit cheesy but it’s based on a true story and it’s available on Netflix. The soundtrack is great and the skating is actually accurate (plus I love the character of the coach).

- Ice Princess: it gets almost everything wrong about FS but it’s a classic and tween me ADORED it

- I, Tonya: as a movie it’s genius but I hate how many people began defending Tonya Harding after the movie

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those that can receive BBC1, "Blades Of Glory" is being shown tomorrow night at 23:15 GMT (1 hour later in Scotland, at 00:15 GMT on Monday morning).

I taped it one time before when it was on the TV, but never got round to watching it. And the HDD recorder that it was taped on isn't working. So, I might tape it again this time.

That said, I have still to watch the "Torvill & Dean" film that was shown on ITV on Christmas Day, so...

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
For those that can receive BBC1, "Blades Of Glory" is being shown tomorrow night at 23:15 GMT.

I taped it one time before when it was on the TV, but never got round to watching it. And the HDD recorder that it was taped on isn't working. So, I might tape it again this time.

That said, I have still to watch the "Torvill & Dean" film that was shown on ITV on Christmas Day, so...

CaroLiza_fan

The T&D film is so so soapy it’s awesome. However it is loooong, way to long for any film made for TV. I’d recommend watching it but only if you’ve got an afternoon free.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The T&D film is so so soapy it’s awesome. However it is loooong, way to long for any film made for TV. I’d recommend watching it but only if you’ve got an afternoon free.

I have it taped onto a DVD, so at least I still have access to it. But, the problem is that this is the peak of the Wintersports season, and it seems to be one World Championships after another at the moment! :laugh:

But, I'll try to get it watched soon.

CaroLiza_fan

Inessence

Rinkside
Ice Castles (The original.)
On Thin Ice: The Tai Babylonia Story (She dated Peter Brady! :love: Plus regular weigh-ins at The Ice Capades. :palmf:)
I, Tonya (For finally addressing the toxic masculinity that surrounded her.)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Searching through IMDB recently for new films that might be of interest (not necessarily relating to skating) I stumbled across two films by Canadian director John Kissack...
The first is a "feel good" hockey story called "Miracle on Christmas Lake", the second is a horror/thriller called "Everfall" about a young figure skater who has fallen from grace in the skating world and seeks redemption in an obscure event that turns out to he more than she bargained for...
These are independent films made in Canada.. not on Netflix... but I found the trailers... teen films with some substance perhaps.

Miracle on Christmas Lake
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8HuNrs1jKXM

Everfall
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLIN31dDGM