Coaching Change Protocol | Golden Skate

Coaching Change Protocol

Sibelius

On the Ice
Ok experienced skaters and skate parents, it's time for a change. For several reasons, some having to do with the coach and some external reshuffling, we need to consolidate to one coach. My skater has been with her MITF coach for 2 years now (ever since she failed her in ISI Gamma group lessons). She's gotten us through Pre-Juvenile (just last Monday) but we all feel it's time to consolidate with her jumps/spins coach, who also has great success with coaching her skaters' MITF.

So, what is the protocol for moving on? How much notice, weeks, a month? I know it will be hard to let her go, but it's unavoidable at this point. Right now our J/S coach has lesson availability (early mornings, so it probably won't be snapped up) but I'd like to get it done as quickly as possible.

Any advice appreciated.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ok experienced skaters and skate parents, it's time for a change. For several reasons, some having to do with the coach and some external reshuffling, we need to consolidate to one coach. My skater has been with her MITF coach for 2 years now (ever since she failed her in ISI Gamma group lessons). She's gotten us through Pre-Juvenile (just last Monday) but we all feel it's time to consolidate with her jumps/spins coach, who also has great success with coaching her skaters' MITF.

So, what is the protocol for moving on? How much notice, weeks, a month? I know it will be hard to let her go, but it's unavoidable at this point. Right now our J/S coach has lesson availability (early mornings, so it probably won't be snapped up) but I'd like to get it done as quickly as possible.

Any advice appreciated.

I'd give them a few weeks to month notice. That should be enough.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I'd give them a few weeks to month notice. That should be enough.

A month is what I was thinking, maybe enough time for them to pass Juvenile together as a team. It would be at the time when our schedule will be changing and we have to lose a day and unfortunately the only day we can pick up with her jumps/spins coach overlaps with the session we have with her MITF coach. It's going to be hard, they really get along well together. It has to be done though.

VegMom

On the Ice
So... all the advice I've read says stuff like, 'talk to the coach you're dropping first and let them know you plan to change coaches...' BUT a word or warning: do not do this until/unless you have the other coach lined up and ready to go. You could drop a coach and then be left high and dry without a new coach. There are all kinds of reasons the new coach might not be willing to take you (your skater) on so just prepare for that possibility by talking to the new coach first and making sure they are willing and able to take on new skaters. THEN talk to the coach you're dropping and make a plan to transition.

Also, pay all your bills first. Make sure there aren't any hard feelings due to late or missing payments by just paying everything before the switch.

Sibelius

On the Ice
So... all the advice I've read says stuff like, 'talk to the coach you're dropping first and let them know you plan to change coaches...' BUT a word or warning: do not do this until/unless you have the other coach lined up and ready to go. You could drop a coach and then be left high and dry without a new coach. There are all kinds of reasons the new coach might not be willing to take you (your skater) on so just prepare for that possibility by talking to the new coach first and making sure they are willing and able to take on new skaters. THEN talk to the coach you're dropping and make a plan to transition. Also, pay all your bills first. Make sure there aren't any hard feelings due to late or missing payments by just paying everything before the switch.

Thanks for the comments. We're already established with the coach we're consolidating with, she's been her jumps and spins coach for over a year now. We're just consolidating MITF with this coach as well. If I had unlimited time and $$$ we'd keep both, but she needs more work on jumps (working on her lower doubles, occasionally landing one or two) and spins, which are frankly really lacking. So, we'll just be taking MITF lessons and incorporating them with her J/S coach (who's skaters always to well in moves). It'll take some time, because we both really like her moves coach, but she's just a bit flakey now and then so we need to tighten the ship a little more.