Recent Experience with Risport RF3 Pro | Golden Skate

Recent Experience with Risport RF3 Pro

SmallAminal

On the Ice
There were some older threads about the RF3, but I think that Risport has recently overhauled the model and it now has a thinner sole (and possibly some other differences). My skater is in Harlick, but we have been looking for more choices available on-demand as there is a long lead time for Harlicks. The only ones that were remotely comfortable were the RF3, but the size we needed was not in stock in black, so the store is getting back to me with news next week on how quickly they could be available. In the meantime, I did go look at the Risport website and it seems like the black only starts at size 230 while the white is available in smaller sizes, so we may be one size too small to make this work.

I read that in the older models, some people felt that despite the very padded collar, the leather below it was cutting into their legs. Someone also mentioned a seam in the boot that was causing irritation. I`m wondering if anyone has experienced this recently?

Also, the heel pitch is higher than the Harlicks - has anyone experienced switching from a lower-heeled boot (e.g. Harlick or Riedell) to the Risports. I was told by the fitter that the higher heel pitch may help with jumps - does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There were some older threads about the RF3, but I think that Risport has recently overhauled the model and it now has a thinner sole (and possibly some other differences). My skater is in Harlick, but we have been looking for more choices available on-demand as there is a long lead time for Harlicks. The only ones that were remotely comfortable were the RF3, but the size we needed was not in stock in black, so the store is getting back to me with news next week on how quickly they could be available. In the meantime, I did go look at the Risport website and it seems like the black only starts at size 230 while the white is available in smaller sizes, so we may be one size too small to make this work.

I read that in the older models, some people felt that despite the very padded collar, the leather below it was cutting into their legs. Someone also mentioned a seam in the boot that was causing irritation. I`m wondering if anyone has experienced this recently?

Also, the heel pitch is higher than the Harlicks - has anyone experienced switching from a lower-heeled boot (e.g. Harlick or Riedell) to the Risports. I was told by the fitter that the higher heel pitch may help with jumps - does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Ok, yes, I had issues when I used to wear the freestyle boot model they call the RF1Elite. The upper drove me nuts and really hurt, I switched to the Royal Elite after that and loved them. I actually still have a pair that I work in. Otherwise I have custom Jackson as my freestyle boots for the last few years.
I do wear Risport Dance Elite and love them.
Have they even suggested the Royal Pro model for him over the RF3Pro? I feel like that would work better with less issues. yes it is a bit stiffer boot, but may work and last him a bit longer.

If you want any specifics, my inbox is open, as always to help.

Good luck! :)

Sam L

Medalist
I just got RF3 pros. No issues as such that you mentioned. I absolutely love them.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I just got RF3 pros. No issues as such that you mentioned. I absolutely love them.

Hi Sam-

Thanks for the feedback. Were you in a lower-heeled boot before? I am curious about the fitter's comment about the higher heel pitch helping with jumps - did you find this made any difference?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Ok, yes, I had issues when I used to wear the freestyle boot model they call the RF1Elite. The upper drove me nuts and really hurt, I switched to the Royal Elite after that and loved them. I actually still have a pair that I work in. Otherwise I have custom Jackson as my freestyle boots for the last few years.
I do wear Risport Dance Elite and love them.
Have they even suggested the Royal Pro model for him over the RF3Pro? I feel like that would work better with less issues. yes it is a bit stiffer boot, but may work and last him a bit longer.

If you want any specifics, my inbox is open, as always to help.

Good luck! :)

That's a good suggestion - I checked on the website and surprisingly that model has a wider range of size availability. The fitter did suggest that going a little stiffer was actually warranted in my skater's case with the severe pronation and flat-footedness, even at 63 lbs and only with a dodgy double sal. I will ask about this and whether they think this may be overbooting to much or it could still work in our case.

I may PM you with some more questions - Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That's a good suggestion - I checked on the website and surprisingly that model has a wider range of size availability. The fitter did suggest that going a little stiffer was actually warranted in my skater's case with the severe pronation and flat-footedness, even at 63 lbs and only with a dodgy double sal. I will ask about this and whether they think this may be overbooting to much or it could still work in our case.

I may PM you with some more questions - Thanks!

:2thumbs:

Ohamyooo

Rinkside
My daughter recently switched from Riedell Motion boots to the Risport RF3 Pro, and she absolutely loves them! They were comfortable from the get-go, and the break-in time was very short. She's a lightweight 12-year-old with a narrow foot (and also a rather severe pronator), and the narrow width boot has been perfect for her. The support is excellent and I expect she'll outgrow the boots long before she breaks them down. For what it's worth, I really like that the boots are leather. I notice that not all Risport models are.

enzet

On the Ice

I skate in RF3, the older model and yes, the leather below the collar was cutting into my leg and it was quite painful.
However, issue solved by wearing gel sleeves.

I had no other problem with the boots and generally I'm pretty happy with them.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I have older model rf3 supers.. Very similar design. One with the padded collar and one without. Oddly enough the one with the padded collar is what dug into the back of my leg on one boot bc of the design of where the leather meets the padding...which I eliminated with pad inserts the first few skates. I love risport and the rf3 super. It's a great skate. Super is just stiffer. I prefer their older models over the new stuff they're coming out with. The rf3 is a great boot!

claref

Spectator
As someone who wears an RF1, I will agree that the leather below the collar did hurt to break in. However, since then, I have experienced no other issues with the boot. I have not experienced pain since.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’m a long ways away from needing to replace my new Jackson Debuts, but just out of sheer curiousity - I’ve read a couple places that Risports are particularly good for folks who pronate. I have a pronation that we corrected for by moving the blades in a bit, and it helped a lot. I’m wearing a wide in the Jacksons to accommodate the balls of my feet but I did have some minor heel slippage issues (which I correct with bunga boot bumpers), but I’m wondering - is it worth considering Risports in the future? I had figured my next boot would probably be the Jackson Premiere or Elite (depending on my level when the Debuts give up the ghost).

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I’m a long ways away from needing to replace my new Jackson Debuts, but just out of sheer curiousity - I’ve read a couple places that Risports are particularly good for folks who pronate. I have a pronation that we corrected for by moving the blades in a bit, and it helped a lot. I’m wearing a wide in the Jacksons to accommodate the balls of my feet but I did have some minor heel slippage issues (which I correct with bunga boot bumpers), but I’m wondering - is it worth considering Risports in the future? I had figured my next boot would probably be the Jackson Premiere or Elite (depending on my level when the Debuts give up the ghost).
Boston, I am not sure if specifically they are good for pronation in all cases, but i do know that the fitter did say that with how pronated my little guy is, anything that gives too much freedom of motion at the ankle (eg Edea) would bot be recommended. Apparently the RF3 Pro hugs the shins and ankles more than the Risport Royals line, at least according to the fitter who said we shouldn't consider the Royals given his excessive pronation.

You could always try them at a fitter near you.

loveohio

Rinkside
My daughter is on her 6th or 7th pair of Risports. She's just turned 9, doing jumps through 2flip and flying spins. Her shoe size is 13, and her Risport boot size is 210 with an 8" gold seal blade. She weighs 57 lbs, 53" tall, and is in a Risport Electra Light, which is a synthetic boot with a leather sole. She loves it. It is really quite stiff, and very light weight.

Its stiffness rating is 45. It feels about the same stiffness as the Riedell Motion which is stiffness 70, or the Edea Chorus of stiffness 70, or Jackson Debut Firm of stiffness 50 (actually the Debut Firm is extremely similar to the Electra, just with a different boot shape). I really can't imagine that a skater of 65 lbs would need a Risport boot of stiffness 60 or 65, especially if he's just starting doubles. Her previous boot was an older model, the Excellence with a stiffness of 40. That boot was in reality the same stiffness as the Electra, but much much heavier. My girl hated the heaviness. She was using a coronation ace blade, because the gold seal didn't come small enough, and its a good thing because even with the lighter blade she complained about the combination's weight. Moving her into the Electra and gold seal combination was quite a bit lighter. She gets them punched out for her pinky toes, and laces them up pretty tight and says her foot and ankle feel very supported. They do not fit at all like the Edeas. Our techs said they would not put our girl in Edeas, due to foot and ankle shape.

Since his foot is too small for the RF3, and since it is so much heavier than the newer synthetic boots of similar thickness, I recommend you strongly consider the Electra, along with an aftermarket footbed to correct his pronation (I've never heard of using stiffer skates due to pronation...). If he really really needs a stiffer boot, then I guess try the Royal Pro. But i can tell you, our skate techs who service many national and some international level skaters would not put him in that stiff of a boot at his level and size. We have been very happy with Risport boots over the years, and my daughter continues to want to use them, despite the trends of moving towards Edea. The current plan is to move our daughter to the Royal Pro when she starts breaking down the Electras, probably around the time she's working on double axels in the harness.

Just as an aside, we've been hearing multiple complaints locally about the new Jackson plastic fusion soles cracking, within the first few months of use.

Sam L

Medalist
Hi Sam-

Thanks for the feedback. Were you in a lower-heeled boot before? I am curious about the fitter's comment about the higher heel pitch helping with jumps - did you find this made any difference?

Not sure because I changed blades also. What's a lower-heeled boot? I was in Jacksons so I don't think they were.

I love these new boots, they fit my feet's shape really well.

One minor complaint is that after skating for a while, my right boot's tongue seems to be sinking into the boot. I don't know if it's because I'm not tying the laces tight enough. But it's the same tightness on the left boot and there are no issues. It's not a big issue but it's just curious that it's only happening on one side.

SusanaFG

Rinkside
My daughter recently switched from Riedell Motion boots to the Risport RF3 Pro, and she absolutely loves them! They were comfortable from the get-go, and the break-in time was very short. She's a lightweight 12-year-old with a narrow foot (and also a rather severe pronator), and the narrow width boot has been perfect for her. The support is excellent and I expect she'll outgrow the boots long before she breaks them down. For what it's worth, I really like that the boots are leather. I notice that not all Risport models are.

Hi! I am searching information because I can't try all widths and the risport table is not reliable.
You say that your daugther use a narrow width. Could you please tell me that size is (A, B, C)? What is the width of your foot?
Please!!!!

Sam L

Medalist
Hi! I am searching information because I can't try all widths and the risport table is not reliable.
You say that your daugther use a narrow width. Could you please tell me that size is (A, B, C)? What is the width of your foot?
Please!!!!

Why are you asking her width? Why don't you measure your width and match that to the A, B, C of the required length boot and see which one you should try on. Risport has a tech download area which has the widths for each length. Whilst all feet are shaped differently, you can heat the Risport to match your width. It's more comfortable than say Jacksons from my experience.

SusanaFG

Rinkside
Why are you asking her width? Why don't you measure your width and match that to the A, B, C of the required length boot and see which one you should try on. Risport has a tech download area which has the widths for each length. Whilst all feet are shaped differently, you can heat the Risport to match your width. It's more comfortable than say Jacksons from my experience.

Because I need a real reference. In Madrid (Spain) there are 2 shops and they only sell Risport in width C. If they order to risport the width AA or B and then size doesn't work, they can not be returned. I tried 250 in C and it's wide for me. The seller does not know which is better AA or B.

My feet are very different long (240mm and 245mm) and narrow, the width is 21,4 around in the ball, looking at the table of risport AA is for >21,8cm , therefore it should be big also :-(. I don't know that width I should be order. I will have to buy without trying.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Because I need a real reference. In Madrid (Spain) there are 2 shops and they only sell Risport in width C. If they order to risport the width AA or B and then size doesn't work, they can not be returned. I tried 250 in C and it's wide for me. The seller does not know which is better AA or B.

My feet are very different long (240mm and 245mm) and narrow, the width is 21,4 around in the ball, looking at the table of risport AA is for >21,8cm , therefore it should be big also :-(. I don't know that width I should be order. I will have to buy without trying.

Can't one of these shops measure you correctly and do outlines of foot to tell you what width and length?! If they can't then I wouldn't be buying them there.

SusanaFG

Rinkside
Can't one of these shops measure you correctly and do outlines of foot to tell you what width and length?! If they can't then I wouldn't be buying them there.

They measured the foot with a table (plastic). And I made outlines of my foot myself. I have all measures long, width and around of my foot, and review the risport table from website, however I think the table is strange, the widths are C, B and AA.
When I tried the 250C, I did not feel that it was really wide but I took out the template and if it was wide. I think a B would be fine but according to the risport table the AA would be wide. This is the reason why I am very confuse with the size.:scratch2:

Unfortunately, there aren't more shop in my city. I sent an email to shop in other city and the result was worse.