Recent Experience with Risport RF3 Pro | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Recent Experience with Risport RF3 Pro

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
They measured the foot with a table (plastic). And I made outlines of my foot myself. I have all measures long, width and around of my foot, and review the risport table from website, however I think the table is strange, the widths are C, B and AA.
When I tried the 250C, I did not feel that it was really wide but I took out the template and if it was wide. I think a B would be fine but according to the risport table the AA would be wide. This is the reason why I am very confuse with the size.:scratch2:

Unfortunately, there aren't more shop in my city. I sent an email to shop in other city and the result was worse.

AA is the narrowest. B is narrow. C is regular or a bit wider. I wear both b and c...barely can tell the difference. B is standard, what most people would wear.

Hope that helps!

SusanaFG

Rinkside
AA is the narrowest. B is narrow. C is regular or a bit wider. I wear both b and c...barely can tell the difference. B is standard, what most people would wear.

Hope that helps!

Thank you!!! Could you tell me the width of your foot? To compare with my foot and get an idea.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Thank you!!! Could you tell me the width of your foot? To compare with my foot and get an idea.

Sure, if I'm doing this right it looks like 4 inches at the widest point.:)
I would consider my foot wider then an avg foot.
Btw, I wear an rf3 super.

Hope this helps!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Twice now you've asked skaters for their width, without asking about their length. Remember, for a given width letter size (AA, A, B, C, ....), the corresponding measured width varies with the measured length.

ETA: It's unfortunate that you don't have a decent fitter available. I recommend the following:

(1) Contact Risport for detailed instructions on which measurements and tracings to take. Explain you don't have a reliable tech near-by. Ask them to include detailed instructions on how to take the measurements and tracings. For example, often tracings are done in two positions; sitting (light foot pressure) and standing (heavy foot pressure). How you position and orient the pencil as you trace is also important.

(2) Don't take measurements and tracings yourself; measurements and tracings can get highly skewed. Have a friend do it, following the instructions from Risport.

(3) Send the measurements and tracings to Risport for sizing recommendation.

IceTherapy

Rinkside
My daughter is on her 6th or 7th pair of Risports. She's just turned 9, doing jumps through 2flip and flying spins. Her shoe size is 13, and her Risport boot size is 210 with an 8" gold seal blade. She weighs 57 lbs, 53" tall, and is in a Risport Electra Light, which is a synthetic boot with a leather sole. She loves it. It is really quite stiff, and very light weight.

Its stiffness rating is 45. It feels about the same stiffness as the Riedell Motion which is stiffness 70, or the Edea Chorus of stiffness 70, or Jackson Debut Firm of stiffness 50 (actually the Debut Firm is extremely similar to the Electra, just with a different boot shape). I really can't imagine that a skater of 65 lbs would need a Risport boot of stiffness 60 or 65, especially if he's just starting doubles. Her previous boot was an older model, the Excellence with a stiffness of 40. That boot was in reality the same stiffness as the Electra, but much much heavier. My girl hated the heaviness. She was using a coronation ace blade, because the gold seal didn't come small enough, and its a good thing because even with the lighter blade she complained about the combination's weight. Moving her into the Electra and gold seal combination was quite a bit lighter. She gets them punched out for her pinky toes, and laces them up pretty tight and says her foot and ankle feel very supported. They do not fit at all like the Edeas. Our techs said they would not put our girl in Edeas, due to foot and ankle shape.

Since his foot is too small for the RF3, and since it is so much heavier than the newer synthetic boots of similar thickness, I recommend you strongly consider the Electra, along with an aftermarket footbed to correct his pronation (I've never heard of using stiffer skates due to pronation...). If he really really needs a stiffer boot, then I guess try the Royal Pro. But i can tell you, our skate techs who service many national and some international level skaters would not put him in that stiff of a boot at his level and size. We have been very happy with Risport boots over the years, and my daughter continues to want to use them, despite the trends of moving towards Edea. The current plan is to move our daughter to the Royal Pro when she starts breaking down the Electras, probably around the time she's working on double axels in the harness.

Just as an aside, we've been hearing multiple complaints locally about the new Jackson plastic fusion soles cracking, within the first few months of use.

Last edited:

SusanaFG

Rinkside
Twice now you've asked skaters for their width, without asking about their length. Remember, for a given width letter size (AA, A, B, C, ....), the corresponding measured width varies with the measured length.

ETA: It's unfortunate that you don't have a decent fitter available. I recommend the following:

(1) Contact Risport for detailed instructions on which measurements and tracings to take. Explain you don't have a reliable tech near-by. Ask them to include detailed instructions on how to take the measurements and tracings. For example, often tracings are done in two positions; sitting (light foot pressure) and standing (heavy foot pressure). How you position and orient the pencil as you trace is also important.

(2) Don't take measurements and tracings yourself; measurements and tracings can get highly skewed. Have a friend do it, following the instructions from Risport.

(3) Send the measurements and tracings to Risport for sizing recommendation.

Thank you for the recommendations!
You're right, I forgot to ask the long.
I send two emails to Risport with my measures, I am wating for an answer from December. Also, I contacted the risport representative in Spain, I told him that the 250 C was too big and they told me that 255C would be good. Both the store and the representative risport I had to pass the risport table and explain it to them. :confused:

It is possible that the measurements change if another person takes me the measure, but not much, the length I can test in store but the width does not. I'll ask someone to measure it.

Thanks you!

Last edited:

SusanaFG

Rinkside
Sure, if I'm doing this right it looks like 4 inches at the widest point.:)
I would consider my foot wider then an avg foot.
Btw, I wear an rf3 super.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!!! It is very helpful!!
A last question. I forgot ask you for the long. Could you tell me the long?
In the table the width is given as outline, I suppose it depends on the instep.

I think that I will need AA...

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Thanks!!! It is very helpful!!
A last question. I forgot ask you for the long. Could you tell me the long?
In the table the width is given as outline, I suppose it depends on the instep.

I think that I will need AA...

I wear a 245:)

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Thank you! i am deliberating sizing for my daughter's next pair of skates - she is currently in Risport 230 but I want to order her new skates but not sure if her feet are done growing or not.

Best not to go too big.. She'll likely break them down before outgrowing, dependent on her age.
Half size at the most. I can wear both a 240 and 245. Hope that helps!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I agree! The Electra Lights are worth a look too!

They don't have this model at the pro shop here. Also, I think specifically the RF3 Pro was recommended for various other reasons, including severe pronation and considering the transition from the current skates.

Meduna

Spectator
Hi, I am also thinking about RF3 skates for my daughter. However, I was wondering, if those are suitable. We did have Riedell skates from start and last was model_bronz a bit stiff and heavy, but supporting. We facing issue of size and age. My child is 160cm, size of feet 270! This for her age under 10 very heavy skate. Now I am having tall child with women skates. I dont think I can go for less stiffness and better blade due to her high. Her level is after long break already entering double jumps, but she is jumping so high according to coach. So not sure about less stiff skates. Can anyone have any experience or advice?