Should I Take Group Lessons? | Golden Skate

Should I Take Group Lessons?

SkateSinger

Spectator
Hi! I'm a total beginner to figure skating, and I was wondering if someone could give me advice about group skating lessons.

I've only recently started skating at my local rink, and I must admit that my progress is rather slow. As I have never been ice skating until recently, I use rental skates from the rink (Which brings up another question - Should I go ahead and invest in my own pair of skates?). I stay near the side rails and sometimes hold onto them in order to stabilize myself (Like I said, total beginner :roll9:), but I'm gradually improving.

Here's what I'm curious about: Is it too early for me to consider taking group lessons? Should I wait until I have a bit more experience?
My original plan was to keep practicing on my own until I can skate with more ease, but I recently heard that doing this can cause the development of bad technique. And I definitely don't want that!!

I don't know anyone that skates, so I was hoping to get some insight from those that know more about this! Thank you so much :luv17:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I'm a total beginner to figure skating, and I was wondering if someone could give me advice about group skating lessons.

I've only recently started skating at my local rink, and I must admit that my progress is rather slow. As I have never been ice skating until recently, I use rental skates from the rink (Which brings up another question - Should I go ahead and invest in my own pair of skates?). I stay near the side rails and sometimes hold onto them in order to stabilize myself (Like I said, total beginner :roll9:), but I'm gradually improving.

Here's what I'm curious about: Is it too early for me to consider taking group lessons? Should I wait until I have a bit more experience?
My original plan was to keep practicing on my own until I can skate with more ease, but I recently heard that doing this can cause the development of bad technique. And I definitely don't want that!!

I don't know anyone that skates, so I was hoping to get some insight from those that know more about this! Thank you so much :luv17:

Enroll in learn to skate classes and go from there. Welcome to skating. Good luck! :)

jf12

Final Flight

Learn to skate curriculum is designed for people like you, so it is never too early to sign up. You can also retake a 'level' however many times it takes you to feel comfortable. It really is never too early. If you wait until you can balance and skate around without holding onto the wall that's fine too - when people talk about learning bad technique, they're mostly referring to teaching yourself more advanced elements than that. Getting your own skates could make a big difference just in itself. You can ask the group lesson coach what skates they recommend and what's a good figure skating pro shop near you.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Group lessons are ideal for beginning skaters, as they’re a lot cheaper and easier to get into than private lessons - so they’d be a great place for you to start!

As for your second question - rental skates will only get you so far, so yeah, investing in your own skates is a good idea. It’s very tempting at this stage to try and save money by looking at used skates or ordering online, but you’re really best off going to an experienced fitter and getting what you need upfront. I ordered my first pair online and got really lucky in that the fit was OK, but within six months they were starting to break down and the blade was really holding me back from progressing with turns and spins, so I ended up having to buy a new boots and blades anyway.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The fact that you've already set out on the ice is great! I've had skaters of all ages come to their first group lesson having never set blade on the ice. (And then they do and are shocked that's it's not as easy as it looks).
So yes, I'd suggest enrolling in a beginning learn to skate class as soon as enrollment is open (policies vary by rink). Check with the skating director.

As for buying boots, it is better to have your own as you'll get used to them and know how they feel each time you step out on the ice to skate. Rental skates are "pot luck" - one week you may have a good pair, the next week a bad pair.

That said, I feel it is perfectly okay to get a used pair of skates if their is a pair that you can try on and have a coach evaluate, before you buy them. Some coaches, parents, or rinks have a "used closet" of skates. And many times there are lightly used good skates because the skater quit or grew out of the boots.
If nothing is available, then buy a good basic pair of skates such as Jacksons or Reidells to get you going. Good Luck!

SkateSinger

Spectator
Thank you so much for all of your replies!! I will definitely look into purchasing my own skates, and taking some lessons. :luv17: