Finding the best place for adult skating in my area | Golden Skate

Finding the best place for adult skating in my area

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I suggest looking at the rink schedules. Some rinks have Adults Only public sessions or Coffee Club sessions. Some will offer group lessons for Adults so you're not mixed with teens and tots.

Could you further define what you're looking for?

jf12

Final Flight
How do I go about this? I've tried Google, but everything I've found so far just returns a list of skating rinks. It picks up the "adult" from the "adult price" on the webpage. This place looks really cheap, but I'm sure cheaper is not necessarily better. http://www.kirkwoodmo.org/content/City-Departments/1862/ice-rink.aspx

There won't usually be anything listed - you're going to have to go to the convenient ones near you, and feel it out at certain times and talk to people you meet there. In general, any freestyle (unless its specifically an elite freestyle) after 8am will have a lot of adults on it, and before and after school will have mostly kids. Midday publics are usually great and there are a lot of retirees doing freestyle on there.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suggest looking at the rink schedules. Some rinks have Adults Only public sessions or Coffee Club sessions. Some will offer group lessons for Adults so you're not mixed with teens and tots.

Could you further define what you're looking for?

Firstly I want to see if I am physically able to skate. If it turns out I am, I'm sure I'll want to progress through the levels and I'll probably want to compete if financially possible.

Here's another one. I'm a member of this gym through Silver Sneakers, so I would get the discounted rate, but it's a pretty good drive away. Then again I live in an unincorporated area of a rural county 35 miles outside of St Louis, so I'm used to having to drive to get to things.

https://www.stpetersmo.net/leisure-line-online-recreation-guide.aspx#iceskating

Oh yeah...my ultimate goal...there is going to be an Adult Mini Camp in Aston at Gracie's rink:

"Skate With The Olympians – Adult Mini Skating Clinic
Sunday, June 3rd - 8am to 1:45pm - ADULT MINI CLINIC WITH OUR RENOWNED OLYMPIANS: Natalya Linichuk 1980 Lake Placid Olympic Gold Medalist; Gracie Gold 2014 Sochi Olympic Bronze Medalist; Kim Seybold Catron 1988 Calgary Olympic Pairs Competitor; Mojca Kopac 1992 Albertville, 1998 Nagano, 2002 Salt Lake Olympic Singles Competitor"

I die. I mean DIE. But I doubt I will have even been able to learn to skate by that point, since it seems most of the classes are in session and don't begin a new session until March. I will have to pray that 1. they do this again next year and 2. Gracie is still there at that time.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ok - If you want to see if you're even able to skate then I suggest calling the rink or rinks and finding out which public sessions are the quietest.
Also ask if they have a drop-in coffee club for adults as those are populated with adults of all levels. Sometimes they even break into groups from beginner to advanced, led by a coach.

Some rinks also offer drop-in lessons on a public session. When you call to inquire about the sessions you can ask about these. For a fee you can have a lesson with a coach that will offer support and basic tips to get you going. If you find you are able (and willing!) enroll in group lessons and have fun!

Ohamyooo

Rinkside
Unfortunately, that adult mini-clinic with Gracie at Aston was scheduled for last summer (June 2018). I was on the fence about signing up (ultimately didn't), and then heard from another adult skater that the whole thing was cancelled abruptly the day before with no real reason given. I'd love it if they'd try to organize it again for this summer!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok - If you want to see if you're even able to skate then I suggest calling the rink or rinks and finding out which public sessions are the quietest.
Also ask if they have a drop-in coffee club for adults as those are populated with adults of all levels. Sometimes they even break into groups from beginner to advanced, led by a coach.

Some rinks also offer drop-in lessons on a public session. When you call to inquire about the sessions you can ask about these. For a fee you can have a lesson with a coach that will offer support and basic tips to get you going. If you find you are able (and willing!) enroll in group lessons and have fun!

What I had thought about doing was contacting them to see if they'd be wiling to see if they had a skate that would fit over my left (bad) foot. The last time I tried a learn to skate class, which was free, was in Austin TX, there was only one rink in the area, and they did not have a skate I could lace up. Since I couldn't lace the skate up completely, of course I had no ankle support and could not stand up. So I just said "this isn't going to work" and turned the skates back in. If they do have one, I want to take the Adult Learn to Skate Class because they have a walker type thing I can push around so I don't fall as much. Hope that clears things up. I'm sure I could find some sort of custom boot that would fit, but I'm not willing to go to that expense if I don't know if I can do it and if I even like it.

Also i'm quite worried about being able to stand up. I can get up from a seated position on the ground, but I have to make a tripod with both feet and a hand. The last time I tried roller skating, which went really, really badly (it isn't like riding a bike) I just kept crawling to the barrier and hauling myself up that way. I don't know if that is allowable/possible on an ice rink. I finally quit trying to roller skate because my job at the time included a lot of typing and I was afraid I was going to snap a wrist.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
One of the first skills learned in the first class (Snowplow to Adult) is how to fall properly and get up. It's first practiced off-ice and then done a couple times on the ice. Your description of making a tripod with your feet and hands is a similar picture to how to get up.
You can use the barrier to haul yourself up but it is a skill requirement to learn how to get up on your own. You can also use the barrier to march your way around the public session.

But before all this happens, you have to make that inquiring call! If the front desk can't answer all your questions than ask for the skating school director.

2Axel

Rinkside
To find an adult-friendly club or rink, I'd recommend joining the US Competitive Adult Figure Skaters Facebook group (if you have Facebook) and then making a post asking for information on the specific area. When I was planning a move across the country, that's what I did. I settled into my new club right away, we even have an adult Theatre On Ice team competing at nationals this summer. :yahoo:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To find an adult-friendly club or rink, I'd recommend joining the US Competitive Adult Figure Skaters Facebook group (if you have Facebook) and then making a post asking for information on the specific area. When I was planning a move across the country, that's what I did. I settled into my new club right away, we even have an adult Theatre On Ice team competing at nationals this summer. :yahoo:

Great idea, thank you much, I'll do that now.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, that adult mini-clinic with Gracie at Aston was scheduled for last summer (June 2018). I was on the fence about signing up (ultimately didn't), and then heard from another adult skater that the whole thing was cancelled abruptly the day before with no real reason given. I'd love it if they'd try to organize it again for this summer!

Thanks. They may be a great rink, but their website is dog awful. I can't believe that the info is still up there from a clinic last summer that did not even happen. I had to use google search to find an email for them (before you told me it was last summer). Is there a place online lists adult skating clinics/camps? I know Randy Gardner does one, but only because I follow him on Twitter. I know Dorothy Hamill used to do an Adult Fantasy Figure Skating Camp, which for me is indeed a fantasy as it was $3,000 for the week, not including travel to/from, lodging or meals. There have to be more?

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Since you have some special concerns in terms of your ability to get up and get around, I might suggest two things: 1) before you go anywhere, contact the skating school director at the rink and talk over your foot issue. See if she thinks they have rental skates that might work for you. and 2) ask her if she can set you up with a coach for a private lesson for your first time on the rink. They can teach you how to step out onto the ice, to move around, and to get up, with or without assistance. If that first lesson is successful, then go for it with the group classes or with additional private lessons!

If you wouldn't mind telling us what's up with your foot, we may be able to let you know if we think you might be able to get it into a skate or not, if that would help.

g8rsara

Rinkside
You could also go to the Learn to Skate page and search for rinks with the program in your area. It may not be every rink but you’ll get a list of those that support the program and more then likely have additional figure skating programs/support. I’ve used it to find rinks when I travel and have found it to be pretty useful.

https://www.learntoskateusa.com/findaskatingprogram/

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since you have some special concerns in terms of your ability to get up and get around, I might suggest two things: 1) before you go anywhere, contact the skating school director at the rink and talk over your foot issue. See if she thinks they have rental skates that might work for you. and 2) ask her if she can set you up with a coach for a private lesson for your first time on the rink. They can teach you how to step out onto the ice, to move around, and to get up, with or without assistance. If that first lesson is successful, then go for it with the group classes or with additional private lessons!

If you wouldn't mind telling us what's up with your foot, we may be able to let you know if we think you might be able to get it into a skate or not, if that would help.

OK, I had compartment syndrome some years ago (not recommended, super painful), and then I had cellulitis, then I had foot drop from being left in a boot too long, which basically meant my foot did not work properly, so if I stepped on even a small rock or uneven surface, my foot did not bend as it should and I would just fall down. I used to fall a LOT. I went to physical therapy as long as my insurance would pay and regained probably 90% of the function of my foot; also had to shock my leg with a TENS unit daily to regrow nerves (nerves take a LONG time to regrow). The biggest problem I have now is I can't wear heels at all (great on my right foot, my left ankle starts wobbling around like a drunken sailor). I fall very rarely now. And the left foot is a lot bigger than the right; it's permaswollen. We tried diuretics. A nurse wrapping it in an ace bandage works wonders until I take it off; I've never been able to wrap it properly. So I am the queen of sparkly Sketchers, funky flats and lace up booties. I'm also going to ask my doctor to refer me for more PT since I have different insurance now. I'm sure she will, but i'm not sure exactly how much they will be able to do at this late date. Unfortunately if wearing a skate is anything like wearing heels I'm screwed. I was able to get a roller skate to put on my foot (I had to get 2 different sizes) but not the ice skate at the one place there was where I used to live.

One of my disabilities is also really gross but I worry about it, not sure I am up for discussing it with a stranger. Even though ever since I was diagnosed it seems to be on every medical show out there.

If I can do this, I'm going to get to Philly International a day early and do private lessons with Gracie. (I've already contacted the rink) *thud*. A better argument for weight loss I have never heard.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I know two adults who skate now, having had foot drop - one of whom is me! But I'm mostly recovered - to the point where it only affects my skating a bit. Another skater I know has numbness in that leg, and really can't feel it correctly; but she's skating and adapting. I also used to skate with a woman who ice skated with a lower leg prosthesis.

For me, I find that the skate, because it's so stiff, adds stability that I do not have in shoes. I do not find wearing an ice skate to be anything like wearing a high heel shoe.

You mentioned that you have success with the swelling when a nurse wraps your foot. Can you get your foot into a compression ankle sleeve? Or does a compression sock help?

What type of skate was it that you'd tried? Was it a traditional, leather figure skate that laced up? Or was it a hockey skate style, or even one of those skates that's made of plastic and snaps closed like some ski boots do? What was different about the roller skate versus the ice skate?

As you can tell, I'm really hoping we can get you skating so that you can skate with Gracie!

As for the PT, I have ankle injuries that I got from gymnastics when I was young, which I've done PT for now in my old age. ;) It can really help with stability and strength, even after all those years, so it may be worth it to try.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I have applied and answered the question but not yet been approved.:(

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know two adults who skate now, having had foot drop - one of whom is me! But I'm mostly recovered - to the point where it only affects my skating a bit. Another skater I know has numbness in that leg, and really can't feel it correctly; but she's skating and adapting. I also used to skate with a woman who ice skated with a lower leg prosthesis.

For me, I find that the skate, because it's so stiff, adds stability that I do not have in shoes. I do not find wearing an ice skate to be anything like wearing a high heel shoe.

You mentioned that you have success with the swelling when a nurse wraps your foot. Can you get your foot into a compression ankle sleeve? Or does a compression sock help?

What type of skate was it that you'd tried? Was it a traditional, leather figure skate that laced up? Or was it a hockey skate style, or even one of those skates that's made of plastic and snaps closed like some ski boots do? What was different about the roller skate versus the ice skate?

As you can tell, I'm really hoping we can get you skating so that you can skate with Gracie!

As for the PT, I have ankle injuries that I got from gymnastics when I was young, which I've done PT for now in my old age. ;) It can really help with stability and strength, even after all those years, so it may be worth it to try.

I'm soooo happy to hear this! BTW after shocking myself with the TENS unit for quite some time, I have no nerve damage in my leg (that I can detect, at least - it used to feel like my leg was asleep all the time and no longer does). I'm going to my PCP to ask for permission to do this (I asked the endocrinologist I went to one time for permission and she said "No, what happens if you fall?" I found her rude and dismissive and didn't go back to her again, but my PCP is not like that. Assuming I get permission, I will proceed with my plan. I will also ask my PCP about the compression sock. I found some on Amazon but apparently there are different strengths and whatever. So I will ask her.

As far as what was different about the roller skate vs the ice skate, I had sufficient time to take the left skate back again and again until I found one that would fit (I think I ended up in one 3-4 sizes larger than my street shoe, it was huge). We didn't arrive that early to the learn to skate class.

It's been quite a few years now, but from what I remember it was a traditional figure skate, it certainly wasn't a plastic snap type of thing. I don't know if they would have put me in hockey skates for a learn to skate class, so I'm not sure how to answer that part.

It is so good of you to hope I can skate with Gracie! I have my worries there as well. I mean if I'm still on Adult 1 or 2, I don't need Gracie to teach me a snowplow stop or a backward wiggle. I'd rather pay $90 and take her to lunch and pick her brain (I'm sure they would think that was weird, though)

Also I hope I don't have to give up swimming. Swimming is SO CHEAP compared to figure skating. The most expensive competition I enter (St Louis Senior Olympics) is like $45, and you can compete in as many events as you wish for that price.