New brand of skates - "Aura" | Golden Skate

New brand of skates - "Aura"

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I don't know if anyone else had an Instagram ad pop up for Aura Skates. I have never heard of them before - looks like they juuuuust launched.

The boots look....interesting. Curious if anyone has them, knows someone who has them, or knows of a skater that has them.

https://www.auraskates.com/features/

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't know if anyone else had an Instagram ad pop up for Aura Skates. I have never heard of them before - looks like they juuuuust launched.

The boots look....interesting. Curious if anyone has them, knows someone who has them, or knows of a skater that has them.

https://www.auraskates.com/features/

Not so sure about this. The materials seem really uncomfortable, and IDK how they would hold up, plus IDK how much I trust a speed skater with designing my figure skating boots. :confused2:

claref

Spectator
I saw that ad too - both on Facebook and Instagram. They almost look like a copycat for Edeas, but i'm unsure how much trust i have considering that it's necessary to get customs from the start.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Not so sure about this. The materials seem really uncomfortable, and IDK how they would hold up, plus IDK how much I trust a speed skater with designing my figure skating boots. :confused2:
<<Emphasis added.>> I guess your tingly spidey senses are on full alert. From the FAQs on the Aura website:

"08 How long will my figure skates last?

As with any skate, defining the lifespan of your boots is subjective to multiple factors, including but not limited to: how many hours per week you skate, how well you take care of your boots, and how heavy of a skater you are. With all factors included, AURA is intended to last the average skater a full season. Some skaters may choose to use more than one pair over the course of a season on account of personal preference and feel."

jf12

Final Flight
I know several people who have been given tester pairs and were overall positive, but my impression was they are still working out the kinks and trying to address the feedback.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I’m super excited to watch this new progression in figure skating. Good to see mobility and biomechanics are taken into consideration! I’m worried that without looking into the foot in motion the scans won’t be as useful as they could be. Hopefully it’s addressed through the design. I’ve had tons of discussions with my sister who’s a PT about skates, fit, performance for my skaters. I have a background in my own sports, medicine, and engineering lol so I geek out on this stuff too.maybe too much.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I find it interesting that they chose to go out on their own instead of bringing their design/technology to a major player (e.g. Jackson). I think it will be hard to build brand credibility without some well-known skaters using them.

I am personally not an early-adopter of anything, so while I'm curious to see what comes of this, I'll let other people be the guinea pigs.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
<<Emphasis added.>> I guess your tingly spidey senses are on full alert. From the FAQs on the Aura website:

"08 How long will my figure skates last?

As with any skate, defining the lifespan of your boots is subjective to multiple factors, including but not limited to: how many hours per week you skate, how well you take care of your boots, and how heavy of a skater you are. With all factors included, AURA is intended to last the average skater a full season. Some skaters may choose to use more than one pair over the course of a season on account of personal preference and feel."

<<<Emphasis added>>> I'll stay in my tried and true Jacksons.

christy

On the Ice
I've seen the ad, but hadn't reviewed the information until reading this post. Just wondering if anyone knows any prices?

christy

On the Ice
Apparently C$1100....all boots are custom made to order

Thanks. I can understand that price in one respect (i.e. customs) but it's a lot to pay for something from a new untested manufacturer that may only last a season. Probably less of an issue for kids with growing feet, but for adults you'd hope the skates would last a bit longer.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, those are expensive for something no one knows or trusts yet.

But if one thinks those are expensive have you seen or experienced the price of top of the line custom figure skating boots? Not cheap, many are more than these Aura things.

eonice

Rinkside
"The ultra lightweight boot increases jump height, reduces the moment of inertia, and unlocks greater rotational velocity making previously impossible jumps, possible."

So...4A soon? :sarcasm:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
"The ultra lightweight boot increases jump height, reduces the moment of inertia, and unlocks greater rotational velocity making previously impossible jumps, possible."

So...4A soon? :sarcasm:

Doubtful LOL!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
“We are committed to creating a skate that works for you. If you receive your skates, and feel like something is not quite right, email [email protected] and we will do everything we can to make it right. We have a 4 month return policy on any manufacturing defects.”

So, unless I’m wrong....since they only do custom skates made with the results of your foot scan, you can’t really try them on in advance, and the only guarantee that they offer upfront is that they’ll take them back within 4 months if there’s a manufacturing defect?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
“We are committed to creating a skate that works for you. If you receive your skates, and feel like something is not quite right, email [email protected] and we will do everything we can to make it right. We have a 4 month return policy on any manufacturing defects.”

So, unless I’m wrong....since they only do custom skates made with the results of your foot scan, you can’t really try them on in advance, and the only guarantee that they offer upfront is that they’ll take them back within 4 months if there’s a manufacturing defect?
That's my take when I read it. So the big question to iron out with Aura before you even consider them ... what happens if the boots don't fit properly? Does that fall under the category of "manufacturing defects"? Or, is it a matter of "we did everything we could to make it right"; sorry they don't work for you, but it's not a manufacturing defect?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
That's my take when I read it. So the big question to iron out with Aura before you even consider them ... what happens if the boots don't fit properly? Does that fall under the category of "manufacturing defects"? Or, is it a matter of "we did everything we could to make it right"; sorry they don't work for you, but it's not a manufacturing defect?
I still think its weird they didn't bring their technology/design to a major skate manufacturer that might provide better brand recognition and be able to provide a better guarantee. If Jackson said " hey we have a radical new design called Aura and we will offer you a money back guarantee or offer to get another Jackson boot if they don't work", I think more people would be willing to give them a try.

I also think they need some well-known athletes to wear the boots to give it real street cred. Like if NO elite athletes wear them, I would be suspicious....

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I still think its weird they didn't bring their technology/design to a major skate manufacturer that might provide better brand recognition and be able to provide a better guarantee. If Jackson said " hey we have a radical new design called Aura and we will offer you a money back guarantee or offer to get another Jackson boot if they don't work", I think more people would be willing to give them a try.

I also think they need some well-known athletes to wear the boots to give it real street cred. Like if NO elite athletes wear them, I would be suspicious....
It's not that weird in the figure skate boot market to launch a new company to introduce new technology and designs. I'm old enough that, when I first started buying skates, Jackson didn't exist. Now they're one of the largest manufacturers of figure skates, boots and blades. More recently, look how quickly Edea has established its presence in the marketplace. [Also, established companies tend to be skittish about new technologies and designs that compete with, or potentially disrupt, their existing business ... but that's another story.]

I did some web searches on Scott Van Horne, the guy behind Aura. He seems to know what he's doing. He previously (with a partner) started a company, VH Footwear, that sold custom boots, first for speedskating and then also for hockey. He sold that company several years ago to True Temper Sports (https://csga.ca/true-temper-sports-...personalized-fit-technology-nhl-clients-love/). His speedskating and hockey boots are now sold under the True label. According to True Hockey, 125 NHL players are now wearing his hockey boots (https://www.true-hockey.com/); that's a good endorsement. I don't know whether there's any business connection between Aura and True at this time, or whether they are totally separate.

Both the speedskates and the hockey skates have better warranties that provide for a replacement pair in the event that the first pair doesn't fit right (after repeated adjustments), as well as longer manufacturer's warranties: speedskate warranty here (http://true-speedskates.com/); hockey warranty here (https://www.true-hockey.com/warranty-information/custom-skates-warranty/). It would seem logical for Aura to extend the same policy for figure skate boots. Not sure why they don't, or whether the wording on their website hasn't been polished up.

Just as endorsement by NHL players is key to the success of hockey skates, I think Aura is sharp enough to know that the endorsement of elite figure skaters is key to the success of figure skate boots. So I think it's just a matter of time. Anyway, I'm a proponent of better technology and design and more choice for figure skates. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out; Scott did successfully transition from speedskates to hockey, so that's a good sign. But I don't have the $$$ to be an early adopter. And I'm too much a klutz to merit a freebie pair. :-(

christy

On the Ice
I'd certainly want to be able to see / examine a pair before I considered ordering, which I assume you can do if you visit one of their fitting stores, but none are close.

I've read about a number of people who've got customs from other manufacturers and had problems that required re-work which sometimes fixed the issues so am concerned about their "we'll try to help" statements.

VegMom

On the Ice
WOW! This sounds fantastic! I am 100% a fan of using new technology and new materials to try to make things better and safer.

I will definitely be paying attention to this brand and I'm willing to give them a try if kiddo likes the idea.