New brand of skates - "Aura" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New brand of skates - "Aura"

IsKAtEFaSt

Rinkside
It's not that weird in the figure skate boot market to launch a new company to introduce new technology and designs. I'm old enough that, when I first started buying skates, Jackson didn't exist. Now they're one of the largest manufacturers of figure skates, boots and blades. More recently, look how quickly Edea has established its presence in the marketplace. [Also, established companies tend to be skittish about new technologies and designs that compete with, or potentially disrupt, their existing business ... but that's another story.]

I did some web searches on Scott Van Horne, the guy behind Aura. He seems to know what he's doing. He previously (with a partner) started a company, VH Footwear, that sold custom boots, first for speedskating and then also for hockey. He sold that company several years ago to True Temper Sports (https://csga.ca/true-temper-sports-...personalized-fit-technology-nhl-clients-love/). His speedskating and hockey boots are now sold under the True label. According to True Hockey, 125 NHL players are now wearing his hockey boots (https://www.true-hockey.com/); that's a good endorsement. I don't know whether there's any business connection between Aura and True at this time, or whether they are totally separate.

Both the speedskates and the hockey skates have better warranties that provide for a replacement pair in the event that the first pair doesn't fit right (after repeated adjustments), as well as longer manufacturer's warranties: speedskate warranty here (http://true-speedskates.com/); hockey warranty here (https://www.true-hockey.com/warranty-information/custom-skates-warranty/). It would seem logical for Aura to extend the same policy for figure skate boots. Not sure why they don't, or whether the wording on their website hasn't been polished up.

Just as endorsement by NHL players is key to the success of hockey skates, I think Aura is sharp enough to know that the endorsement of elite figure skaters is key to the success of figure skate boots. So I think it's just a matter of time. Anyway, I'm a proponent of better technology and design and more choice for figure skates. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out; Scott did successfully transition from speedskates to hockey, so that's a good sign. But I don't have the $$$ to be an early adopter. And I'm too much a klutz to merit a freebie pair. :-(

I agree. Scott Van Horne's' TRUE hockey skates and the technology for custom fitting are really solid. But TRUE hockey skates are a little on the expensive side so a Aura figure pair is probably really expensive. I would love to try out the new tech if I can afford it. Hope it will help me get that mf Quad Axel...

Here's a review of the TRUE Hockey skates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-LUr5QfMCU

Arcimbol

Spectator
I have touched one (not my size). They are 3d printed after a foot scanning. The foot scanning is done flat, not on a heel, as in the skating position. Not sure how effective this is, because it does not take into account the weight distribution on your sole. Harlick asks you to trace your foot sitting, then standing. The boots are one piece (upper continuing with the sole). They are very hard, amost a cast. The only options in degrees of support are given by an elastic crease (bigger or smaller) at the ankle, that makes that articulation more or less rigid. I found the padding minimal. The 3d printing is an innovation, to start with, but they need also to take in consideration the needs of your foot, not just the shape. I' d rather spend that money on a custom Harlick, where you can play with so many options.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have touched one (not my size). They are 3d printed after a foot scanning. The foot scanning is done flat, not on a heel, as in the skating position. Not sure how effective this is, because it does not take into account the weight distribution on your sole. Harlick asks you to trace your foot sitting, then standing. The boots are one piece (upper continuing with the sole). They are very hard, amost a cast. The only options in degrees of support are given by an elastic crease (bigger or smaller) at the ankle, that makes that articulation more or less rigid. I found the padding minimal. The 3d printing is an innovation, to start with, but they need also to take in consideration the needs of your foot, not just the shape. I' d rather spend that money on a custom Harlick, where you can play with so many options.
That's interesting feedback. (1) Did a manufacturer's rep actually confirm that the boots are 3D printed? (2) If so, is the entire boot, including padding and liners, 3D printed?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
3D printed boots, huh? And hard like a cast with minimal padding and elastic ankle creases? I'm getting twinges in my rental skate scars just thinking about them. Hopefully they're better than they sound, which to me is like an injury waiting to happen. :( Best of luck to the early adopters. :pray:

As for their promise of reducing moment of inertia and making impossible jumps possible, I hope no one takes that too seriously. No skates will have any significant effect on anyone's moment of inertia.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As for their promise of reducing moment of inertia and making impossible jumps possible, I hope no one takes that too seriously. No skates will have any significant effect on anyone's moment of inertia unless there's an anti-gravity mechanism that activates upon jumping.
Moment of inertia is independent of gravitational force. It is a function of the spatial distribution of mass about the rotational axis of interest.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes, those are expensive for something no one knows or trusts yet.

But if one thinks those are expensive have you seen or experienced the price of top of the line custom figure skating boots? Not cheap, many are more than these Aura things.

But other top of the line custom figure skating boots are intended to last more than one season. The idea of paying out all that money for a pair of boots that may last one season or possibly actually less... Nope. Not for me, thank you. (Plus, I'm sorry but I think they are ugly...)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But other top of the line custom figure skating boots are intended to last more than one season. The idea of paying out all that money for a pair of boots that may last one season or possibly actually less... Nope. Not for me, thank you. (Plus, I'm sorry but I think they are ugly...)

Depends on who is wearing the top of the line custom skating boots and what they're doing in them. Mine don't last me even a year sometimes at my level and wear/tear. And I wear both dance and freestyle boots for my pro career. So it's not exactly fun buying my boots almost annually.

What I said in my PP was I wouldn't buy or try these new Aura brand/style of boots even if someone paid me to. I'll stick to my custom Jackson and Risport.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am 100% not going to buy something that hasn’t been tested and tried but I will admit I like their super 90’s logo.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Depends on who is wearing the top of the line custom skating boots and what they're doing in them. Mine don't last me even a year sometimes at my level and wear/tear. And I wear both dance and freestyle boots for my pro career. So it's not exactly fun buying my boots almost annually.

What I said in my PP was I wouldn't buy or try these new Aura brand/style of boots even if someone paid me to. I'll stick to my custom Jackson and Risport.

Thinking about it, I used to go through a pair of Super Teri Deluxe a year - as an ice dancer - so I feel your pain!

I'll be sticking with my beloved Graf Dance. Oh yes. Interested to see how these new-fangled things turn out, though. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thinking about it, I used to go through a pair of Super Teri Deluxe a year - as an ice dancer - so I feel your pain!

I'll be sticking with my beloved Graf Dance. Oh yes. Interested to see how these new-fangled things turn out, though. :)

Keep an eye on those, they have a habit of toe buckling.

Kypma

Final Flight
Among the higher-profile skaters testing these out is Joseph Phan: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvZlTUPl_Ud/

I personally am not fond of the look (I saw a pair up close), but if they work for the skaters that bought them, all the better! I don't think there will ever be a one-brand-fits-all for figure skates.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I saw a pair up close. A skater at our rink was trying them out and giving "feedback". They apparently went back once for revisions but still needed work. The coach said that they are selling them about a year before they are really ready to launch.

They are really, really weird looking in person - especially the heel area. Let's see if they actually work for anyone.

skatespin

On the Ice
I can offer a little information on Aura.

I ordered a pair and have not received them yet. I have a lot of problems getting boots to fit and have been struggling with defective ice flys for what seems like forever, causing the feel of my blade alignment to be completely off while skating. Given that I have seen many instances in which custom skates from Harlick, SP Teri, and Avanta did not work for skaters and given how they take a long time to be made (and are troublesome to send back), I was wary that I would get good results.

The pro-shop that sells Auras, says they have been getting an increasing amount of people ordering them, as word of mouth starts to spread. The worker responsible for placing the order was telling me about some of the people who were using them (who I might know) and he mentioned a coach that I actually do know (who got them last year as a demo). So I asked the coach about them and he said that they have one issue with rubbing against some bone at the top of the boot (maybe the ankle I forget), but for everything below that the fit was great and that these skates are the future. Another pair is being made for him that is hopefully supposed to correct the problem.

As for the look of them, I have held a boot in my hand (that the pro-shop has to show customers) and appearance wise it has a sort of a prototype look. Though it did seem sturdy. The boots felt very stiff, but from my questioning they work more like a hybrid of an Edea and a traditional boot. Like Edeas, they are not supposed to have a long break in period. If you currently have usable boots, it is probably advantageous to wait on trying Aura, because then you have more time for Aura to work out the kinks and be able to focus more on the physical appearance of the boot.

My assumption that the reason why these boots may be better fitting than most is because in addition to the scanning technology and the supposed custom make, like an Edea everything on the Aura boots is modifiable by someone who knows what they are doing. These boots are supposed to be more modifiable than Edeas, because they can actually be placed into an oven (since higher quality materials and build are used for them than for Edeas so they wont get damaged). For first time use they are placed in the oven, then they are placed on the feet and some type of shrink wrap is used to tightly wrap the boot around the feet to get a true fit and then after that more modifications can be made if needed.

(at least this is the process that was described to me)

I have been very disappointed with other boot makers as they have been very slow to change and adapt to more modern methods. Edea was the only one venturing into this area, but quality is an issue with them for some people. It is nice to see a company actually trying to use more modern methods to get boots that can actually fit each unique foot shape. Technology that other sports like hockey, speed skating, and skiing are already utilizing.

Ducky

On the Ice
The pro-shop that sells Auras, says they have been getting an increasing amount of people ordering them, as word of mouth starts to spread.

I kind of love how figure skating, like consumer confidence, is just guided be animal spirits.

skatespin

On the Ice
Aura will take over the market?

No one can know that yet and they definitely need more time to fine tune everything.

What he meant is that the technology and concept the company is using is where things are going to be headed. Whether that will be through Aura, or another company outdoing Aura depends upon how good Aura can make their product and how effective they are in growing their market share and name recognition (similar to Edea).

The figure skating industry is definitely one that is slow to change when it comes to boots so I imagine it will take a while.

But know that Aura was only just an idea and prototype last year, something being made by a few individuals who had experience with skating boots and were trying to create something that could address the common issues that were encountered with Edeas. So I would say that the Aura, if it proves to be a good product, could potentially be a market disruptor in the future.