2019 Prix de Lausanne | Golden Skate

2019 Prix de Lausanne

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Any other ballet lovers been watching the livestreams of the 2019 Prix de Lausanne. I'm loving all of this coverage!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Me! *raises hand*
I'm about 35 minutes into the first day's livestream - so not far :laugh2:
but I'm loving it so far :)

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Me! *raises hand*
I'm about 35 minutes into the first day's livestream - so not far :laugh2:
but I'm loving it so far :)

I've been skipping around between days and its all been awesome. I have such a girl crush on Elisabeth Platel :laugh: Any early favorites? I have to admit, I haven't really been watching the men and probably won't until the end when they perform :slink:

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I've been skipping around between days and its all been awesome. I have such a girl crush on Elisabeth Platel :laugh: Any early favorites? I have to admit, I haven't really been watching the men and probably won't until the end when they perform :slink:

I've only seen some of the junior girls so far
I don't remember names :laugh: but I'll come back when I do know :)

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Okay from who I've watched so far (NOT MANY :laugh:) one of my favorites is Riel Lee (119)

I only watched this last year, and I liked the more contemporary/modern pieces the senior dancers do. At their best, I like the glimmers of artistry these dancers are already showing. I won't sit through the streams, but I hope the individual videos are up soon.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Jade Mitchell (305) from the senior group just gave the most beautiful, emotionally devastating performance of Chroma. Ugh. I hope she makes it into the finals.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I finally watched senior finals, had no time to watch it on one go on Sunday, so watched it in parts. Few contestants impressed me both in classical and contemporary solos, some I like more in one style than another, but overall - it was a pleasure to watch. I command the effort, poise to push represented by these young people, I loe ballet, love to watch ROH live streams with rehearsals, Prix de Lausanne, documentaries etc.

Young Ladies:

Well, while I was okay with Mackenzie's classical solo (it was a pleasant presentation, solid technique, but I liked Sumina's Esmeralda solo better and one of Korean ladies solo, Victoria's from Canada also was one I liked more), she BLEW MY DAMM MIND in her Abstract solo - she had this sharpness, 'zing' to her every movement, insane control, sustain shown over coordinating her body, beautiful strength, fluidity in arms, exquisite extensions and sublime, effortless carriage, interpretation, so sleek! Just loved it, re-watched it several times after finishing with long stream.

I also loved Sumina from Japan - boy, her Esmeralda was FABULOUS!!! Lovely technique, presentation, nuance, crispness in how movement was finished. I found her contemporary solo (did she do Chroma? I can't remember now) very emotionally-oriented hence quite touching. she interprets music wonderfully - it has to be Japanese thing as other Japanese lady & Men impressed me with their musicality as well.

I kind of felt for Korean lady who won fan award, Jihyun Choi - she was magnificent in her classical solo, but I wonder if contemporary pieces were assigned to them by default? I have to say that this 'Swan Lake' variation left me unimpressed to be honest, I found it quite...juvenile and naïve? I think she did her best to pull it off, but seeing other ladies just made me think how great she could be in Chroma or Becomings on pointe shoes like it was with another Korean lady...

As I mentioned, I really liked Victoria's classical solo. She was not as impressive in Abstract though, few missed connections and checks, especially going after Mackenzie.

Young Men:

I have to say that Brazilians were my faves: both Gabriel & Joao knocked it out of the park, in both classical and contemporary solos! Joao has such lovely quality to his movement, that pliable impression, great feel of the music and so nice technique (at least for my amateurish eye), his Beethoven's interpretation was so memorable. And Gabriel has for me the best Shroma solo among men.

Yu Wakizuka was also fantastic, loved his emotional way of dancing, that engagement visible from his movement. Also liked Belgian guy - Achille De Groeve, one who did Becomings contemporary solo - for me he had the best balance between fluid upper body work and sharpness/definition in legs/feet, really enjoyed his solo!

Alexandre Joaquim was fantastic in Abstract too, I loved the attention to detail.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Yes, it was great to watch some live streams and the recordings later.

Figure skating has its roots in classical ballet, and the better skaters probably make fine dancers too.

Would love to see more contemporary in figure skating, but find it difficult to place contemp in the current ISU rules.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Young Ladies:

Well, while I was okay with Mackenzie's classical solo (it was a pleasant presentation, solid technique, but I liked Sumina's Esmeralda solo better and one of Korean ladies solo, Victoria's from Canada also was one I liked more), she BLEW MY DAMM MIND in her Abstract solo - she had this sharpness, 'zing' to her every movement, insane control, sustain shown over coordinating her body, beautiful strength, fluidity in arms, exquisite extensions and sublime, effortless carriage, interpretation, so sleek! Just loved it, re-watched it several times after finishing with long stream.

I also loved Sumina from Japan - boy, her Esmeralda was FABULOUS!!! Lovely technique, presentation, nuance, crispness in how movement was finished. I found her contemporary solo (did she do Chroma? I can't remember now) very emotionally-oriented hence quite touching. she interprets music wonderfully - it has to be Japanese thing as other Japanese lady & Men impressed me with their musicality as well.

One hundred and ten percent agree! I think Sumina might have been one of my absolute favorites, and while I didn't like Mackenzie as much at first, she definitely improved in her presentation throughout the week. Her classical was miles better at Finals than the first practices I watched :yes:

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Omg there’s a Prix De Lausanne thread on here?! A girl me and my sister are friends with who goes to her ballet school went to the Prix! She was the youngest, she’s called Stella Byers

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
P.S now I really want someone to skate to the music for chroma [emoji23]

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Omg there’s a Prix De Lausanne thread on here?! A girl me and my sister are friends with who goes to her ballet school went to the Prix! She was the youngest, she’s called Stella Byers

Oh, I liked her! She did so well! :)