Tips For Bad Skating Leg? | Golden Skate

Tips For Bad Skating Leg?

SkateSinger

Spectator
So I'm focusing on learning forward swizzles right now, and doing them has made me notice that my left leg/knee is much more difficult to maneuver than my right leg/knee. Because of this, I'm really struggling with my left inside edges, and pretty much everything else that involves using my left leg lol.

Are there any stretches or exercises that anyone would recommend to help with this problem? I'm assuming that as I continue to do the swizzles that my leg will eventually strengthen and become more stable, but some additional advice/tips on this would be a blessing!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Are you sure it's a strength issue and not something with your blades?

SkateSinger

Spectator
Are you sure it's a strength issue and not something with your blades?
At first I thought the exact same thing (considering that I use rentals); however, I switched out the skates multiple times and the issue never got better. Considering that I also have trouble with my left leg/knee off ice, I'm almost positive that it's a strength issue.

Nimyue

On the Ice
At first I thought the exact same thing (considering that I use rentals); however, I switched out the skates multiple times and the issue never got better. Considering that I also have trouble with my left leg/knee off ice, I'm almost positive that it's a strength issue.

If you pronate on your left foot, you will struggle in your rental skates. Is there any chance you are falling in or out on that edge? Staying on an edge isn't really a leg strength issue. It's more a free hip strength and stability issue. If you have a problem that should be corrected in your skate like pronation, adjusting the blade on the bottom of your skate would help.

It's really hard to diagnose correctly when you're in rentals. They are horrible and provide very little support. If you pronate even slightly your boot could let your ankles fall in terribly. But you might find in proper figure skates you don't pronate any longer because the boot has adequate support.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you pronate on your left foot, you will struggle in your rental skates. Is there any chance you are falling in or out on that edge? Staying on an edge isn't really a leg strength issue. It's more a free hip strength and stability issue. If you have a problem that should be corrected in your skate like pronation, adjusting the blade on the bottom of your skate would help.

It's really hard to diagnose correctly when you're in rentals. They are horrible and provide very little support. If you pronate even slightly your boot could let your ankles fall in terribly. But you might find in proper figure skates you don't pronate any longer because the boot has adequate support.

:agree: