Judging a landing. | Golden Skate

Judging a landing.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Do judges look at a landing based on when the skater's toe pick touches the ice? Or later when the blade comes down? I recorded myself doing a double toe. The toe pick hits the ice at the quarter mark but the blade comes down after the quarter mark. Would that be considered UR? I asked a few of the coaches, some said yes some said no. At ISU competitions, does it depend on which TP? Does ISU give TP the freedom to choose? What is the general consensus about this? And what are your opinions?:scratch2:

skatenewbie

Medalist
I think it depends, stricter TP like Shin Amano usually will look when toepick hit the ice but more lenient one look at when the blade come down. I think people opinion about this is pretty divided

readernick

Medalist
It is funny how this is not defined. They need to be more specific. Right now it is up to the TP.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Do judges look at a landing based on when the skater's toe pick touches the ice? Or later when the blade comes down? I recorded myself doing a double toe. The toe pick hits the ice at the quarter mark but the blade comes down after the quarter mark. Would that be considered UR? I asked a few of the coaches, some said yes some said no. At ISU competitions, does it depend on which TP? Does ISU give TP the freedom to choose? What is the general consensus about this? And what are your opinions?:scratch2:

It’s supposed to be when the toepick hits ice, not full blade.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found all the commentary about UR so Uber annoying last night. I wish people would get over this already because all the discussions about it are just a huge turn off at this point. The judges have enough GOE to deal with it accurately and reflect the error in the protocols if it’s noticable. Anything under half rotation short just doesn’t capture my interest. The quarter turn slow motion zoom ins are absolute boujee :palmf:

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
I think it depends, stricter TP like Shin Amano usually will look when toepick hit the ice but more lenient one look at when the blade come down. I think people opinion about this is pretty divided

Do skaters have nightmares about Shin Amano?

Roast Toast

Medalist
Was he the one who gave Mao 6 UR calls at the 2014 world?

Ah, it was "only" 4 URs! But no, he wasn't the one. A couple of his famous Mao calls are 2013 GPF SP and Worlds 2011 FS.

edit: man, reading old protocols is fun. They make last season's Skate Canada's Ladies event look like a cakewalk :laugh:

champs

Final Flight
I found all the commentary about UR so Uber annoying last night. I wish people would get over this already because all the discussions about it are just a huge turn off at this point. The judges have enough GOE to deal with it accurately and reflect the error in the protocols if it’s noticable. Anything under half rotation short just doesn’t capture my interest. The quarter turn slow motion zoom ins are absolute boujee :palmf:

I've been seeing you lately complain about other posters UR rants, but weren't you the one who created this trend some seasons back with post after post of your jump-a-matron videos, igniting haterz of chronic URers?

randomfan

Record Breaker
Ah, it was "only" 4 URs! But no, he wasn't the one. A couple of his famous Mao calls are 2013 GPF SP and Worlds 2011 FS.

edit: man, reading old protocols is fun. They make last season's Skate Canada's Ladies event look like a cakewalk :laugh:

Ahhh yes, that phantom UR call on her 3A at the 2013 GPF SP...I still find that ridiculous to this day.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been seeing you lately complain about other posters UR rants, but weren't you the one who created this trend some seasons back with post after post of your jump-a-matron videos, igniting haterz of chronic URers?

Sort of....and I have changed my mind a bit but I made the Satoko ones as a response to discussions here at GS that were full of folks claiming she was underscored. After some back and forth I offered up a video as to why I thought she got more TES than some of us thought was fair and that it was actually greater than the PCS scores she arguably should have received. It started off innocently and then went crazy from there. One video hit like 30,000 views and I deleted it due to stupid comments. I deleted most of them but most of the videos I did I thought mostly showed that the judges were correct!

We did have a thread in which people could request jumps to be edited for review and most of the jumpamatron videos I made were about edge calls and I almost always sided with the giving the skater the benefit of the doubt. Actually most of the videos I did were designed as highlights of skaters and events. The last Satoko video I made was very positive and showed her in a very good light IMO.

https://youtu.be/j8Loq4gnaoc

Here is the thread where we took requests.

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...Editing-(AKA-Sam-s-Jump-a-ma-tron)&highlight=

I don’t think any hate was intended but I do admit I’ve since changed my mind on how I view these videos and think people and judges have gone way too far. Just my opinion which admittedly could change again :p