Pain in ankle after / during skating | Golden Skate

Pain in ankle after / during skating

tinna

Spectator
Hi the good people of golden skate,
I am new to this forum (first post) but I have been appreciating your threads as a great resource of knowledge on nearly all things figure skating. That is why I am hoping you could help me with this question, my coach was unable to help.
I have been experiencing some pain in my right ankle ( my landing foot ) since a few weeks and I am unsure of the cause. I am an adult beginner, in Edea Ouvertures with Coronation Ace blades that I have since last September. I do feel that Edea works very well for my feet.
I am working on my single jumps, the Flip at the moment, and I do feel that the pain is the most intense when I have to twist of the ice for the Flip and the Loop, as well as landing walk jumps. Could it be that my skates are not providing me with sufficient support? Or could it be that my ankles are just getting stronger?
I am 157 cm (about 5'2) and 52 kg ( I am guessing around 115 lbs), I am quite muscular and strong (I have done a lot of gymnastics, yoga, ballet in the past) and I do have decent hight for the single jumps at the moment.
Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated.

Clarice

Rinkside
Obviously I can't speak directly to your situation. Years ago I experienced similar pain while I was working on the axel. Over time it got worse, mostly while doing certain moves in the field, but eventually it hurt off the ice as well. I saw a sports doctor, who presumed a hairline fracture, but it didn't show up on x-rays. I actually felt best in my skate because it provided so much support. I kept skating, and eventually the pain went away - took about 6 months. I have no idea whether that was potentially the wrong thing to do or not, but the doctor didn't give me any restrictions. When in doubt, I would always recommend consulting a physician.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
There are many possible reasons, but I recall that when I switched between ice skates (Coronation Aces with Riedell boots) and PIC skates ( GAM boots), that I developed a similar issue. Jumps aggravated my ankle pain in the GAM boots. I swapped out the almost-new GAMs for Riedells and the pain went away. It was a matter of insufficient ankle support for me.

Just wondering if you ever broke your ankle as a kid? That can trigger all sorts of issues like arthritis later in life.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Hi the good people of golden skate,
I am new to this forum (first post) but I have been appreciating your threads as a great resource of knowledge on nearly all things figure skating. That is why I am hoping you could help me with this question, my coach was unable to help.
I have been experiencing some pain in my right ankle ( my landing foot ) since a few weeks and I am unsure of the cause. I am an adult beginner, in Edea Ouvertures with Coronation Ace blades that I have since last September. I do feel that Edea works very well for my feet.
I am working on my single jumps, the Flip at the moment, and I do feel that the pain is the most intense when I have to twist of the ice for the Flip and the Loop, as well as landing walk jumps. Could it be that my skates are not providing me with sufficient support? Or could it be that my ankles are just getting stronger?
I am 157 cm (about 5'2) and 52 kg ( I am guessing around 115 lbs), I am quite muscular and strong (I have done a lot of gymnastics, yoga, ballet in the past) and I do have decent hight for the single jumps at the moment.
Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated.

I'm not surprised you're having ankle pain and your skate is Edea.

If you have previous ankle injuries, especially with scar tissue build up, the loose ankle of Edea might not be giving you the support you need. Contrarily, be careful because some brands of skates have very high ankles, some lower, so you might find different brands might have support, but dig into scar tissue.

So if your pain feels like sore muscles, keep going, the Edea requires you to use your ankle strength as the support is only side to side not forwards and back. If it feels like injury pain, then the Edea syle of loose front to back ankle might not work for you.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'll add to the Edea sentiment in the previous post by Nimyue.

The other point I want to mention is that you may have a soft tissue injury or an issue with your ligament or have tendonitis.

I've had tendonitis for many years due to skating.

tinna

Spectator
Hi everyone and thank you so for your valuable input.
I consulted a physician (who is also an ice-skater) today with ankle and it does seem that the most probably cause is tendonitis. She told me to rest the ankle and use anti inflammatory cream on it.
Ic3Rabbit, can I ask you how did you deal with your tendonitis? Does it come and go?
At the moment I am skating about 6 hrs a week, and am reluctant to take a complete break from it as I am enjoying it immensely and feel like I am progressing.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone and thank you so for your valuable input.
I consulted a physician (who is also an ice-skater) today with ankle and it does seem that the most probably cause is tendonitis. She told me to rest the ankle and use anti inflammatory cream on it.
Ic3Rabbit, can I ask you how did you deal with your tendonitis? Does it come and go?
At the moment I am skating about 6 hrs a week, and am reluctant to take a complete break from it as I am enjoying it immensely and feel like I am progressing.

Tylenol and rest. Ice and heat alternating and elevate it a bit when you are off the ice. You might want to get a soft sleeve "brace" for it to wear while you skate (that is what I had to do) in combo with the fact that if the boot is properly fit it will help support the ankle issue/tendonitis. Yes it will still hurt a bit.

I do a ton of deep edgework and footwork, and all the years of pounding it with jump take offs and landings did mine in and my ortho forced me to wear an aircast for a few months several times. After the first week or so of wearing it I was allowed to skate again but wasn't allowed to jump much (again because the skate boot "supports and protects" the ankle).

The tendonitis will always be there, it will come and go and the pain will vary.

Good luck! :ghug:

ETA: This is similar to what I wear in my boot (I have nude and white ones).